Photo

New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. The City of New York: Is there a thread on this?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:40 PM

I couldn't find a thread on the case discussed here:

NRA-Supported Case Could Soon be Taken Up by the US Supreme Court

This is about New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. The City of New York 

The article is from Ammoland, and the intro is extremely astute:

Fairfax, VA – -(Ammoland.com)- What if you lived in a major metropolitan area that said you were free to practice the religion of your choice while within its jurisdiction, but in order to worship outside of that jurisdiction, you were required to first ask permission? And what if that permission was rarely granted? Would you feel like your right to exercise the religion of your choice is still protected?

Now imagine you are a newspaper publisher in that same city. You are allowed to distribute your articles within that jurisdiction without any restrictions against editorial content, but if you want to send any copies outside the boundaries of the city, each issue must be submitted for review by city officials who may or may not deem it suitable to be read outside the confines of their control. Is that still free speech and a free press?

The vast majority of Americans would consider such regulations on religion or speech to be completely antithetical to what our Founding Fathers had in mind when they wrote the First Amendment. And they would be correct.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#2 Charles Nichols

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:42 PM

Response to the cert petition is due on Thursday.  Fortunately, SCOTUS dockets now contain links to the filings (in most cases).

https://www.supremec...lic/18-280.html

#3 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:03 PM

Response to the cert petition is due on Thursday.  Fortunately, SCOTUS dockets now contain links to the filings (in most cases).

https://www.supremec...lic/18-280.html

Yep, I saw that. I was surprised that a thread hadn't been already on here, considering that the case has been ongoing for something like 5 years.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users