Photo

Realtors Face Risks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 19,135 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

http://www.chicagotr...1110-story.html

Broker beware: From robbery to assault, realty agents face big risks

By Alison Brown Contact Reporter
Chicago Tribune

November 29, 2017, 12:37 PM

Sonia Figueroa was spooked. So she decided to get a gun.

The Century 21-affiliated real estate broker has been working in Chicago for more than a decade. She knows the basics of staying safe, tactics many in the field said they follow: Let someone know where you are, don’t post too many personal details online.

But this year, three unsettling incidents made Figueroa think twice about protecting herself. In February, while conducting a Facebook Live video from a vacant lot, Figueroa said she was attacked by a pit bull. Her screams were broadcast.

Then, in April, her Portage Park office was robbed. Three teenagers issued threats and took her purse, she said.

The next month, in May, while showing a client a vacant property in Avondale, Figueroa heard footsteps and conversation on the second floor. She believes it was a drug deal. All she knows for sure is that a man began running down the stairs toward where she was standing.

“I told the client, ‘Oh my God, we’ve gotta run for it,’” she said.

She and her client weren’t harmed, but Figueroa was fed up.

So she enrolled in a concealed carry course.

After 13 years in the industry, “I never would have thought I would be here right now, talking about guns,” she said.

But staying safe in a field that involves visiting vacant homes and being present at publicly advertised events is something many in the real estate business said they often consider.

A National Association of Realtors survey on members’ safety released in August found many reported feeling fear while hosting open houses or otherwise showing vacant or model homes.

In the 2017 Realtors report, 25 percent of men and 44 percent of women said they had experienced a situation that made them fear for their personal safety or the safety of their personal information. About half (52 percent of men, 57 percent of women) said they carry weapons; the most common were pepper spray, carried by 19 percent of agents, followed by guns, which 16 percent carried. Others toted pocket knives and stun guns.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Advanced Digital Media Link ..........Blue Room Stream Link

Difficult days demand decisions of faith (Max Lucado)

On 5/25/2017, Superintendent Eddie Johnson predicted a 50% reduction is Chicago violence within 3 years of SB1722 becoming law.  The bill was signed into law on 6/23/2017. The clock is now ticking.

#2 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

Good for her.

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#3 Tango7

• Members
  • 4,837 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

Back in '14 the IAOR offered a legal opinion that CCW should be banned in show homes, but this genteely massaged version was offered to the Trib.

http://articles.chic...concealed-carry

I love the smug, condescending "take it from my lawyerly perspective" attitude present in this offering from a degreed dolt :

The Act does also not address employer/employee issues. May a real estate company bar its sponsored licensees and employees from carrying concealed firearms on the job? No one would seriously challenge an employer’s right to prohibit adult employees from drinking alcoholic beverages while on the job. Would an Illinois court view the prohibition of carrying concealed firearms any differently? Time will tell. 

OK, counselor, so you're equating drinking on the job which could effect one on a biological level with having a means of defending one's self? But there's no bias...

What about the situation when the licensee owns and leases properties to tenants? In multi-tenant structures there will most likely be common areas such as entrance points, hallways, or facilities made available for all tenants use. The Act would allow the landlord to bar concealed firearms in the common areas.

Common areas like clubhouses, laundry facilities possibly, but what about the right to have free access to one's property via other such common spaces like hallways?

But what about the portions of the premises, particularly in the case of apartments or other dwellings, which are already under a current lease. Would a concealed carry prohibition extend into those apartments? The Act gives property owners the right to bar firearms from areas “under the owner’s control.” When a landlord leases an apartment to a tenant does the tenants’ right to quiet enjoyment trump any rule a landlord would impose?

Gee, counselor, so owning and carrying firearms somehow exempt from a covenant of quiet enjoyment? How so?

Oh, wait - you'll just throw manure and see what sticks. 

You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#4 BobPistol

• Members
  • 8,414 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:36 PM

IIRC, aren't realtors and real estate agents independent contractors paid on 1099?  If yes, there is no employer/employee relationship.  The only restrictions are in the contract. 

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#5 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 13,198 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

Not long after the FCCL passed I got a call from a local realty office wanting me to put on a class of his realtors in his office.
He said many of his realtors who were mainly female felt unsafe and wanted the option to carry.

I was not doing classes at the time and referred him to a few other instructors.
I,m sure one of them put on a private class for him.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#6 jim123

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

So sad to see what's happening to the neighborhood as the third world garbage moves in.

#7 soylentgreen

• Members
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

I'm shocked that the Trib didn't add any anti-gun statistics to the end of the article or twist people's words.