Best ways to CCW while in Vehicle?

1Wolf

First, please correct me if my understanding on vehicle CCW is wrong...

I have a valid CCL and so my firearm can be either on or about my person (holster, off body carry, whatever)...including in my vehicle console or even on the seat (Not saying that is a good idea) as long as it is 'concealed'. Correct?

Second....

How do you guys carry in your vehicle?

I need a little help with some ideas for vehicle carry because I do not AIWB carry and carrying at 4-5 o'clock IWB with bolstered seats is very uncomfortable and even drawing from that location if I needed to would be challenging to say the least.

Thanks!

I mounted a pouch style holster under my steering wheel using zip ties and then used Velcro to attach a small black cloth to cover the backside of the gun/break up the gun outline. It helps that my dash and floor mats are all black. I often miss seeing it when I get in and out of the car and I know it's there.

I use a Miami Classic shoulder holster when I'm on the Harley or in my Jeep. Do whatever works for you.

I have been looking at getting a shoulder holster will this work under a button up shirt with a under shirt on or do you need a jacket

I wear mostly sleeveless t shirts and sleeveless button down shirts. I don't button my shirt due to my carrying a firearm. Everyone dresses differently, it all depends on your style of dress.

In the car....if its not on me....It just goes into a remora holster and gets stuck between the seat and center console...

Its plenty tight, so no issues of it 'getting away' if I were to brake hard....

An 'ol microfiber cloth gets tossed over it...

Nothing fancy, nothing complicated....Just practical...

I use a Miami Classic shoulder holster when I'm on the Harley or in my Jeep. Do whatever works for you.

I have been looking at getting a shoulder holster will this work under a button up shirt with a under shirt on or do you need a jacket

I wear mostly sleeveless t shirts and sleeveless button down shirts. I don't button my shirt due to my carrying a firearm. Everyone dresses differently, it all depends on your style of dress.

That must suck to shovel snow.

I can jam my xds while still in its holster between the center console and drivers seat. Of course in a collision this is not the best answer. I have locked up brakes from 80 to a dead stop and it didn't move. Brakes are Brembo's and stop better than your average minivan. I do like the under the steering column solutions that a couple shops make. Or you could mount your own concoction in a similar location.

I spend a lot of time in the car with my job, so carrying comfortably was important. I tried out a number of rigs, and ended up with an Alien gear IWB about 7 o’clock. I had to adjust the height and the cant until it was comfortable, but once I did, I can go all day in the car without an issue.

I thought about mounting it in the car, but I get in and out a lot, and didn’t want to mess with it that much.

If you wanted to carry on you in the car, I think you could find something that works.

That must suck to shovel snow.

I can jam my xds while still in its holster between the center console and drivers seat. Of course in a collision this is not the best answer. I have locked up brakes from 80 to a dead stop and it didn't move. Brakes are Brembo's and stop better than your average minivan. I do like the under the steering column solutions that a couple shops make. Or you could mount your own concoction in a similar location.

Brembo's for the win!!!

I just replace the brakes on the 98 Black Formula...

Powerslots(drilled and slotted)..using Brembo blanks... And Hawk Performance ceramic pads...

Just BREATH on the pedal and you'll go thru the windshield... :)

I use a Gum Creek holster. The gun sits just to the right of my right knee.

My problem with the magnetic holster is that some carjackers initiate the car jacking by hitting you or causing a collision, and my fear is that the gun goes flying and when the carjackers are approaching, you're scrounging around the car floor and felling under the seats to retrieve your firearm.

In a vehicle, it says âon or about youâ. It does not list âconcealed or mostly concealedâ (unlike the part about carry outside of the car). One of those âorâ words is there that confuses many.

Not saying itâs a good idea - and you likely wonât beat the ride. But thatâs the way the Law is written.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle."

In a vehicle, it says âon or about youâ. It does not list âconcealed or mostly concealedâ (unlike the part about carry outside of the car). One of those âorâ words is there that confuses many.

Not saying itâs a good idea - and you likely wonât beat the ride. But thatâs the way the Law is written.

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle."

Putting the important âORâ on a separate line per language rules:

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried

on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public

or

on or about a person within a vehicle."

Putting the important âORâ on a separate line per language rules:

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried

on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public

or

on or about a person within a vehicle."

FTW

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'd recommend something like this:

https://www.egunbags.com/concealment-fanny-packs/

I'd prefer to keep my gun on my at all times, and while I understand the appeal of switching the gun to a car-mounted holster, or in a console, I'm always trying to maintain situational awareness for one of the reasons I'd recommend carrying in a car, which is car jackings. No gun is of no use if you're pulled from your car and it's stuck under the seat.

http://www.doodnet.com/images/dillion.jpg

What?..WHAT???!

Is it just me? :) :)

how much extra ammo do you carry?

Years ago we had armed security (US Marshal on vacation) for an expected night of riots in Michigan. Great guy. We chatted about guns for a bit and then it was time to gear up and go to work. He asked me how much ammo he would need. I replied “probably none but maybe carry a few extra magazines, just in case!” No actual rioting ensued.

I usually only have one extra mag, even if it’s only the Sig P938 with 7+1 capacity. If something happens... I’m laying low and getting out of there. YMMV.

AlienGear has some options

http://aliengearholsters.com/car-holsters.html

Best Car Holsters for Driver Pistol Carry

The ShapeShift Car Holster is the answer to the issue of concealment and storage while in the car. This car holster design allows you to safely and securely dock your pistol in your car, without needing to mar the interior. Unlike previous car gun holster dock designs, you don't have to secure the ShapeShift Car Holster to the interior via screws. This way, you don't have to touch the interior, which has been a criticism of other holster dock designs. This gun holster for car use uses two durable nylon web straps, which thread through the seatback. You thread the straps through the seatback, under the seat and then insert the clips into the buckles. Then, cinch up until the slack has been taken up..

Thanks to everyone for all the hints and tips. Definitely introduced me to some ideas and products I had not thought of.

I think I like MagSlap's idea best. I'll need one of those roof car-carrier things to 'conceal' it though ;)

One idea above from InterestedBystander for the AlienGear setup for a car seat, and another below it from chicagoresident using an EZ clip to store the holstered handgun in the console in front of the shifter, or some others above that just put it in a holster between the seat and the console...

Does that need to be 'concealed'? If I used any of those methods...the AlienGear, putting it in the console in front of the shifter, or putting it in a holster between the seat in the console...do I need to have something "over" it?

If not, and I'm pulled over by the police for whatever reason, is the officer going to freak seeing a gun stuffed in the console or seat through the window?

I read the conversation above about concealment but didn't quite understand or follow.

Archived