Good thing the doctor had a Gun.

He'd be dead in IL, since he wouldn't be allowed to legally carry in a hospital. And how many others would be dead if it wasn't for this doctor?

If you look at 720 ILCS 5/24-1(a)(1)(4) ....

(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, ...

I am pretty sure that a doctor, at his/her fixed place of place of business (i.e. the hospital), is fine. He/She would not even need a FCCL.

430 ILCS 66/10

(g) A licensee shall possess a license at all times the licensee carries a concealed firearm except:

(1) when the licensee is carrying or possessing a concealed firearm on his or her land or in his or her abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission;

He'd be dead in IL, since he wouldn't be allowed to legally carry in a hospital. And how many others would be dead if it wasn't for this doctor?

If you look at 720 ILCS 5/24-1(a)(1)(4) ....(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, ...

I am pretty sure that a doctor, at his/her fixed place of place of business (i.e. the hospital), is fine. He/She would not even need a FCCL.430 ILCS 66/10(g) A licensee shall possess a license at all times the licensee carries a concealed firearm except:

(1) when the licensee is carrying or possessing a concealed firearm on his or her land or in his or her abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission;

That would be nice, but unless the doctor owns the hospital, he is still forbidden in IL. Otherwise a hospital janitor could also carry.

From the: "Mercy Health System’s Code of Conduct, “Employees are prohibited from bringing firearms or explosives of any kind into the workplace.”

The Doctor's job is toast and also probably his license to practice, watch and see.

He decided to do the really hard good and right thing instead of taking the easy out by doing the bad or wrong thing.

That never ends well in a liberal society

From the: "Mercy Health System’s [/size]Code of Conduct, “[/size]Employees are prohibited from bringing firearms or explosives of any kind into the workplace.”[/size]

The Doctor's job is toast and also probably his license to practice, watch and see.[/size]

He decided to do the really hard good and right thing instead of taking the easy out by doing the bad or wrong thing.[/size]

That never ends well in a liberal society[/size]

I'd MUCH rather be out of a job than dead.

If you look at 720 ILCS 5/24-1(a)(1)(4) ....(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, ...

I am pretty sure that a doctor, at his/her fixed place of place of business (i.e. the hospital), is fine. He/She would not even need a FCCL.430 ILCS 66/10(g) A licensee shall possess a license at all times the licensee carries a concealed firearm except:

That would be nice, but unless the doctor owns the hospital, he is still forbidden in IL. Otherwise a hospital janitor could also carry.

I don't think that is correct, look at this from the Illinois Dept of Revenue. A Doctor's Office would seem to qualify as a Fixed Place of Business

b ) Definitions. For purposes of this Section, the following definitions shall apply:

1) Fixed Place of Business. The term "fixed place of business" has the same meaning as that term is given in Section 864 of the Internal Revenue Code and the related Treasury regulations. (IITA Section 1501(a)(9.5))

A) As a general rule, a "fixed place of business" is a fixed facility, that is, a place, site, structure or other similar facility, through which the taxpayer engages in a trade or business. (See 26 CFR 1.864-7(b )(1).) A doctor is a taxpayer, and his/her office is a fixed facility through which he/she engages in a trade (medicine).

B ) A taxpayer is not considered to have a fixed place of business merely because the taxpayer uses another person's fixed place of business, ...., through which to transact a trade or business, if the trade or business activities of the taxpayer in that fixed place of business are relatively sporadic or infrequent,..... (See 26 CFR 1.864-7(b )(2).) A doctor, who has an established practice, would seem to not be engaged in a "sporadic" or "infrequent" business or trade.

I do not agree with this. As a nonresident working (and living) in Illinois, this seems pretty clear. If you work there you can have a firearm. You don't need to possess a FCCL.

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." -Norman Schwarzkopf

I do not agree with this. As a nonresident working (and living) in Illinois, this seems pretty clear. If you work there you can have a firearm. You don't need to possess a FCCL.

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." -Norman Schwarzkopf

So you're saying a hospital janitor could carry in an Illinois hospital then? I disagree. The only person who can overide the FCCL would be the property or business owner. A doctor's office, off of hospital property, would be legal for the doctor.

This is PA not Il so the rules of play are different.

Yep, the mandatory prohibited list in PA is a little shorter than IL's list: (1) Court Houses, and (2) Elementary & Secondary Schools.

Hospitals are okay in PA. If they choose to post, a violator would be subject to a trespassing charge.

This is PA not Il so the rules of play are different.

Yep, the mandatory prohibited list in PA is a little shorter than IL's list: (1) Court Houses, and (2) Elementary & Secondary Schools.

Hospitals are okay in PA. If they choose to post, a violator would be subject to a trespassing charge.

My statements are in regards to "if this happened in Illinois".

As a nonresident working (and living) in Illinois, this seems pretty clear. If you work there you can have a firearm. You don't need to possess a FCCL.

Just working there qualifies one to carry without an FCCL in the UUW statutes? No permission from the owner required? I respectfully disagree with this interpretation.

Just came across the news, Dr. will NOT be charged, (even though it is unlawful for Dr.. to have gun at work,

it is not unlawful for him to have a gun at the hospital, it is against the hospital's policy.

We are not talking about him being arrested but instead, losing his job and possibly his profession

This incident was reported in today's Tribune. Notice what a tiny article, hidden deep in the paper. I guess its hard for journalists who are anti-gun to report on a gun related issue where the gun solved rather than caused the problem.

He'd be dead in IL, since he wouldn't be allowed to legally carry in a hospital. And how many others would be dead if it wasn't for this doctor?If you look at 720 ILCS 5/24-1(a)(1)(4) ....(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, ... I am pretty sure that a doctor, at his/her fixed place of place of business (i.e. the hospital), is fine. He/She would not even need a FCCL.430 ILCS 66/10(g) A licensee shall possess a license at all times the licensee carries a concealed firearm except:(1) when the licensee is carrying or possessing a concealed firearm on his or her land or in his or her abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission;That would be nice, but unless the doctor owns the hospital, he is still forbidden in IL. Otherwise a hospital janitor could also carry.I do not agree with this. As a nonresident working (and living) in Illinois, this seems pretty clear. If you work there you can have a firearm. You don't need to possess a FCCL."The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." -Norman SchwarzkopfSo you're saying a hospital janitor could carry in an Illinois hospital then? I disagree. The only person who can overide the FCCL would be the property or business owner. A doctor's office, off of hospital property, would be legal for the doctor.

You don't need an FCCL to possess (notice I didn't say carry) in the hospital if, and only if, it is your primary fixed place of employment. This was statute before the FCCA came along. This was already cited as one of the 720 ILCS statutes. The FCCA, in this regard, pertains to the general public not employed by the hospital. Therefore, yes, a janitor could possess a firearm at the hospital, and do so without a FCCL. They could even have the firearm on their cart they push around with all of their supplies to do their job. The big catch here wouldn't be 430 ILCS 66/65. It would be the hospitals employment policy that determines future employment should the janitor, doctor, whomever uses their firearm in defense, or if it is ever discovered the janitor has the firearm. Based on this being Illinois, I'm willing to bet the FCCA caused a lot of employers to adopt firearms policies that are prohibitive.

He'd be dead in IL, since he wouldn't be allowed to legally carry in a hospital. And how many others would be dead if it wasn't for this doctor?If you look at 720 ILCS 5/24-1(a)(1)(4) ....(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, ... I am pretty sure that a doctor, at his/her fixed place of place of business (i.e. the hospital), is fine. He/She would not even need a FCCL.430 ILCS 66/10(g) A licensee shall possess a license at all times the licensee carries a concealed firearm except:(1) when the licensee is carrying or possessing a concealed firearm on his or her land or in his or her abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission;That would be nice, but unless the doctor owns the hospital, he is still forbidden in IL. Otherwise a hospital janitor could also carry.I do not agree with this. As a nonresident working (and living) in Illinois, this seems pretty clear. If you work there you can have a firearm. You don't need to possess a FCCL."The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." -Norman SchwarzkopfSo you're saying a hospital janitor could carry in an Illinois hospital then? I disagree. The only person who can overide the FCCL would be the property or business owner. A doctor's office, off of hospital property, would be legal for the doctor.

You don't need an FCCL to possess (notice I didn't say carry) in the hospital if, and only if, it is your primary fixed place of employment. This was statute before the FCCA came along. This was already cited as one of the 720 ILCS statutes. The FCCA, in this regard, pertains to the general public not employed by the hospital. Therefore, yes, a janitor could possess a firearm at the hospital, and do so without a FCCL. They could even have the firearm on their cart they push around with all of their supplies to do their job. The big catch here wouldn't be 430 ILCS 66/65. It would be the hospitals employment policy that determines future employment should the janitor, doctor, whomever uses their firearm in defense, or if it is ever discovered the janitor has the firearm. Based on this being Illinois, I'm willing to bet the FCCA caused a lot of employers to adopt firearms policies that are prohibitive.

The statute says "fixed place of business" it doesn't say fixed place of employment. As someone else said unless the doctor owns the hospital it isn't his "fixed place of business". Maybe if he has an office connected to the hospital that he rents from the hospital he could carry in his office. Are you saying a doctor could "container transport" at a hospital or have a handgun unloaded and encased in his office? Maybe. Of course IANAL and a judge may decide on that. Sounds similar to container transport on public transportation.

The statute says "fixed place of business" it doesn't say fixed place of employment. As someone else said unless the doctor owns the hospital it isn't his "fixed place of business". Maybe if he has an office connected to the hospital that he rents from the hospital he could carry in his office. Are you saying a doctor could "container transport" at a hospital or have a handgun unloaded and encased in his office? Maybe. Of course IANAL and a judge may decide on that. Sounds similar to container transport on public transportation.

Don't forget hospital employment policy.

The definition is being taken out of context...the reference to fixed place of business in IRC Sec. 864 is an income sourcing provision for purposes of calculating foreign tax credit. It was not written to have anything to do with the legal definition of a fixed place of business for purposes of real property law which is the context in which the FCCL provision was written. Just because it is now possible to "google" a phrase and find it in a statute doesn't make a lay person proficient in applying the provision, the context of where a provision is contained, the legislative history and intent have to be considered in its application. The use of the IRC Sec. 864 definition in this context is absolutely inappropriate.

I don't think that is correct, look at this from the Illinois Dept of Revenue. A Doctor's Office would seem to qualify as a Fixed Place of Business

b ) Definitions. For purposes of this Section, the following definitions shall apply:

1) Fixed Place of Business. The term "fixed place of business" has the same meaning as that term is given in Section 864 of the Internal Revenue Code and the related Treasury regulations. (IITA Section 1501(a)(9.5))

A) As a general rule, a "fixed place of business" is a fixed facility, that is, a place, site, structure or other similar facility, through which the taxpayer engages in a trade or business. (See 26 CFR 1.864-7(b )(1).)
A doctor is a taxpayer, and his/her office is a fixed facility through which he/she engages in a trade (medicine).

B ) A taxpayer is not considered to have a fixed place of business merely because the taxpayer uses another person's fixed place of business, ...., through which to transact a trade or business, if the trade or business activities of the taxpayer in that fixed place of business are relatively sporadic or infrequent,..... (See 26 CFR 1.864-7(b )(2).) A doctor, who has an established practice, would seem to not be engaged in a "sporadic" or "infrequent" business or trade.

Archived