Question regarding Prohibited Places

robb01

(10) Any public gathering or special event conducted on property open to the public that requires the issuance of a permit from the unit of local government, provided this prohibition shall not apply to a licensee who must walk through a public gathering in order to access his or her residence, place of business, or vehicle.

How is a concealed carry holder to know if an event requires a permit?

Reason I ask, I do a lot of craft shows, and the venue is a privately owned venue with no signs. Are they required to put up signs if they are issued a permit?

It would be my assumption that all festivals or craft fairs, especially those held on public property, are issued some type of permit from the local government that controls the property. I would also then assume that they, then fall under the no carry provision.

That being said:

1) It should be posted, don’t assume that ignorance of facts will get you a free pass

2) If you are carrying properly, no one there will know unless there is a need to use your CCW.

I do have a question as to county fairs. Most are independent of county government so don’t fall under government property rules, so safe to carry if not posted?

It would be my assumption that all festivals or craft fairs, especially those held on public property, are issued some type of permit from the local government that controls the property. I would also then assume that they, then fall under the no carry provision.

That being said:

1) It should be posted, don’t assume that ignorance of facts will get you a free pass

2) If you are carrying properly, no one there will know unless there is a need to use your CCW.

I do have a question as to county fairs. Most are independent of county government so don’t fall under government property rules, so safe to carry if not posted?

I think that assuming most fairs or festivals have permits is folly. I know for a fact that several smaller towns in SE IL do no such thing.

I've seen way too many (as in EVERY) parade, festival, show of any kind (except my local "Taste Of" festival) NOT posted. No one posts around here except BWW, the AMC theater, Wells Fargo, First Mid-Illinois B&T, some smoke shop, and several other small shops with irrational owners who think lawful carriers are gonna turn their businesses into blood-stained swiss cheese.

But the shows are not posted. I don't think many of the people who patronize the festivals/shows downtown would care that they're not following the law by not posting the premises and would alert a cop that someone is carrying and then all heck would break loose. It's a whole different crowd that patronizes local events like that.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived