IGOLD 2012 various discussions

Uncle Harley

In an article on the day's activities in the Legislature the Chicago Tribune casually mentioned that "more than a thousand" gun rights activists were in the capitol.

Yeah...more than a thousand...try about 6000 - 7000.

The media is just not capable of telling the truth. :)

Let's be sure not to stretch the truth ourselves or our complaints about the media are null and void. There were not 6 thousand of us.

Zalewski said unless concealed carry supporters are willing to compromise with Chicago-area lawmakers, he doesn't believe the legislation will pass.

GOOD! I'll take constitutional carry any day of the week when we win our court cases. Then it will be THEM that are begging please conceal your weapon.

I could kiss you

Anyone have a scientifically based estimate on attendance? Packet count?

Based on my observations at the convention center I would say there were about 20% or so less than last year.

Whatever the figure, the march to the capitol for the last 5 years or so has been an impressive sight. In more modern terminology it is just awesome!

I don't think it was less than last year but I don't think it was 8 thousand. It is weird because inside the center it doesn't look like that many but when we get outside on the streets it's like. I don't know why the ISRA makes this so complicated and secretive every year. Just count the damn packets left and be done with it. I suspect it was 3 or 4 thousand just like the last couple years.

Using the packets for a count will NOT give you a true count. I was at the capitol steps telling folks to put their belt buckles etc in the envelopes to speed up the screening.

Trying to think back I would say that 1/3 of the folks in line said "I do not have one of those.

PS Next year bring a 1 gal zip lock bag and put your drivers license on top of everything.

The police liked this idea and said it sped up the time to enter by about 1/3.

Yes, the packet count is way under the actual count. Also, not everyone marches. I was working the table in the Rotunda and there were more than a few who skipped the march and went straight to the Capitol.

My estimate is closer to 9,000 to 10,000 and I'm sticking to it.

Using the packets for a count will NOT give you a true count. I was at the capitol steps telling folks to put their belt buckles etc in the envelopes to speed up the screening.

Trying to think back I would say that 1/3 of the folks in line said "I do not have one of those.

PS Next year bring a 1 gal zip lock bag and put your drivers license on top of everything.

The police liked this idea and said it sped up the time to enter by about 1/3.

Why the driver's license? It's not required to enter. We used quart sized ziplocs for change, keys, pens with metal and even pocketknives under 3" blades. No need to remove belts, shoes or wallets unless the wallet has a metal key in it or the belt buckle is huge. It's not nearly as tight as TSA security points.

T

State troopers at security stated they do a daily headcount of entrants. But that number is void for what we want due to other normal entrants for other lobby groups or people that have legal matters in the capitol buildings. He did mention they had around 10,000 in the building last Igold.

The White jackets in the building were from a pharmacological lobby interest this year.

State troopers at security stated they do a daily headcount of entrants. But that number is void for what we want due to other normal entrants for other lobby groups or people that have legal matters in the capitol buildings. He did mention they had around 10,000 in the building last Igold.

The White jackets in the building were from a pharmacological lobby interest this year.

I was thinking maybe next year have some folks outside the doors giving a adhesive signal dot (for their shirt or jacket) for everyone from IGOLD without an IGOLD shirt or hat and have someone inside each door counting people as they go through security. We'd have a number to give to the media then.

I wonder if ISP troopers could give us the normal number of people visiting the capitol building on a wednesday, maybe the pharmacological lobby could give us an idea how many they had there. The excess could be figured as IGOLD folks, unless some other group was there.

I was thinking maybe next year have some folks outside the doors giving a adhesive signal dot (for their shirt or jacket) for everyone from IGOLD without an IGOLD shirt or hat and have someone inside each door counting people as they go through security. We'd have a number to give to the media then.

I wonder if ISP troopers could give us the normal number of people visiting the capitol building on a wednesday, maybe the pharmacological lobby could give us an idea how many they had there. The excess could be figured as IGOLD folks, unless some other group was there.

That would be the Secretary of State Police. They are the agency responsible for Capitol Security, not ISP. Different agencies.

Tim

Why the driver's license? It's not required to enter. We used quart sized ziplocs for change, keys, pens with metal and even pocketknives under 3" blades. No need to remove belts, shoes or wallets unless the wallet has a metal key in it or the belt buckle is huge. It's not nearly as tight as TSA security points.

Your drivers license gives proof at a glance who actually owns a bag. This was suggested by one of the senior officers, to avoid any problems.

As far as the knife thing goes, one officer said 1.5" closed another said 3" overall. None of the officers has a ruler so it is their call weather you keep your knife or loose it.

I personally have carried a knife in my pocket for over 65 years and feel nekid without one. But we all know about security checks so leave it either at home or on the bus or car before trying to enter the building.

The one gal ziplock bag is easier to load and to grab at the end of the security check. They only cost a couple cents more but can help speed up the check system. If you had to stand outside in a downpour or a 0 degree snowie windy day I am quite sure you would want the folks in front of you to HURRY UP.

My belt buckle has triggered EVERY alarm I have tried to sneek it past, be the buckle a steel or sterling silver one. It is all about getting us inside of the building as fast as possible.

At a guess the police said OUR changes this year cut the time by 1/3. Do your part and next year we can have hit the 50% mark.

That loose change idea is going on my list of stuff for next year. Thanks, Lou! (Thanks, Yas!)

Great idea! But I believe the rules of the Capitol forbid us to sell stuff on the grounds. How about soliciting donations? Any rules against it?? Just a thought.

Tim

It would be helpful in getting folks through security but it is not permissible according to Capitol rules. We'd have to do it at the PCCC, it would make a great announcement when passing the bucket but then that might cause people to just donate their change rather than folding money?

Zalewski said unless concealed carry supporters are willing to compromise with Chicago-area lawmakers, he doesn't believe the legislation will pass.

GOOD! I'll take constitutional carry any day of the week when we win our court cases. Then it will be THEM that are begging please conceal your weapon.

I could kiss you

don't be upset if I tell you to keep the skoal ! LOL

That loose change idea is going on my list of stuff for next year. Thanks, Lou! (Thanks, Yas!)

Great idea! But I believe the rules of the Capitol forbid us to sell stuff on the grounds. How about soliciting donations? Any rules against it?? Just a thought.

Tim

It would be helpful in getting folks through security but it is not permissible according to Capitol rules. We'd have to do it at the PCCC, it would make a great announcement when passing the bucket but then that might cause people to just donate their change rather than folding money?

Rules? Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules!!!

It came up so I thought I'd pass it along.

If nothing else I'm gonna hit every sale for the next year and donate the baggies to hand out myself for our next IGOLD/Victory Celebration.

Heck, if I believe the NE Illinois media I'll only have to buy a few boxes.

\sarcasm mode now off.

As far as colecting loose change, have cans at the convention center and have people drop all of their change in except 1 quarter before going on the march, once they get at the building there can be a can there for everyone to drop their quarter in before entering and we can use those cans for an accurate count. We kill 2 birds with one stone that way!

Trying to think back I would say that 1/3 of the folks in line said "I do not have one of those."

sigh.

My goodness, how? Kind of hard to miss when you have to run the gauntlet to get into the PCCC, then have the speakers re-iterating "take the packet, fill out the cards...".

Trying to think back I would say that 1/3 of the folks in line said "I do not have one of those."

sigh.

My goodness, how? Kind of hard to miss when you have to run the gauntlet to get into the PCCC, then have the speakers re-iterating "take the packet, fill out the cards...".

I honestly think Half the people didn't show up in the convention center. I looked around and it looked like maybe 1500 people in there, and when I saw the march I thought holy cow we multiplied by 10 fold.

It gets to a point that you may wonder if some of the older salts are skipping some of the speeches and getting a head start at those security lines. Some yellow shirts were heading to the capitol building during some of the speeches. I'm sure they had an appointment with a legislator....

My thoughts on the loose pocket change were to facilitate the line waits. Call it a brass dump. Decide to donate it to something worthy. ISRA legal fund, perhaps shooter education camps for kids.

No matter how much I try to prep myself for security I mess up a bit. This year I wore pants with metal snaps on the pockets and some how had about 34 cents in change. Though I swear I de-coined my pockets leaving home. But I hit mcdonalds before the bus (so that explained the change that afternoon) Not a big deal as I was the last person going into the building.

But digging around in those giant totes adds time to everybody's wait behind you when your trying to grab those last few coins skittering around in the plastic tote.

From yesterday's ISRA press release. Preliminary attendance estimate is 7500+

Read full release here

SPRINGFIELD, Ill., March 8, 2012 -- /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is the text of a statement released today by Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA) Executive Director, Richard Pearson:"On behalf of the ISRA and the other co-sponsors of Wednesday's Illinois Gun Owners' Lobby Day (IGOLD), I have to say that we couldn't be happier with the results of our efforts. Our preliminary figures indicate that in excess of 7,500 law-abiding firearm owners flooded the capitol to respectfully lobby their representatives for the restoration of their firearm rights. I have received a tremendous amount of positive feedback from legislators, capitol staff, and law-enforcement officers regarding the manner in which our people conducted themselves during their visit to Springfield. This praise speaks volumes of just how seriously the firearm owners of this state take this campaign to restore their rights."

From yesterday's ISRA press release. Preliminary attendance estimate is 7500+

Thanks for posting the link. I was waiting on the count... I had guessed 5000 just based on looking around PCCC. Nice to see I was too low!

And I noticed the security lines went much faster this year, even with fewer entrances to use. Lots of people had good ideas on making the lines flow smoother; they really did work!

Archived