Photo

Giving fire arms to family members

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 HankG

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:10 AM

My 40 year old daughter finally received her FOID card. I would like to give her a handgun that we used to shoot when she was a teenager. Since she is my daughter, do i have to fill out the transfer paperwork necessary if I sold the pistol or can I just give her the pistol? Thanks for your time.

#2 Kaeghl

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

Unsure of the technical legalities, but you might as well.....

Do the log on at ISP, run her brand new FOID number, fill out the printed validation, and make her a photocopy as part of the gift. Stow your copy in the file cabinet.

10 minutes and done.

#3 Glock23

I am no one.

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:01 AM

The online FOID validation isn't required for family members, but the transfer itself is just like any other, i.e. do the paperwork and maintain copies for 10 years. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member

** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender

** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year Member

** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#4 bmyers

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:03 AM

PERSON TO PERSON FIREARMS TRANSFERS
Effective January 1, 2014, the FOID law has been modified for Person to Person Firearms Transfers.

If a private party sells a firearm in Illinois to another private party, they must go to the Illinois State Police website and verify that the buyer has a valid FOID card. Visit the ISP website, click on “Firearm,” “Firearm Owner Identification (FOID Card)” and “FOID Person to Person Firearm Transfer.”

The seller must enter the buyers FOID and Birth date to verify the buyer has a valid FOID. The website will generate an “Approval Number.” The Approval Number must be listed on the paperwork that is generated by the Sale of the Firearm. The paperwork generated by the sale of the firearm must be kept for 10 years but it's not a bad idea to keep it forever.

Persons buying a firearm from a Federal Firearms License (FFL) are not covered by this law, as the records are generated under federal law. Persons buying or selling a firearm to family members are exempt under the law. Family members are identified as, husband, wife, son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, brother, sister, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law and daughter-in-law.

For additional information regarding the Gun Safety and Responsibility Act please click here or contact the Illinois State Police Services Bureau support line at 217-782-7980.

#5 HankG

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

Thanks folks!

#6 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 12,418 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

Thanks folks!

The one caviat is as long as you are both IL residents.

IANAL but I think you would need to go through an FFL if it crosses state lines.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#7 byxlaw

• 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:39 PM

If in Cook, does the transferer still need to submit make-model-s/n to local Police Chief? Sent using Tapatalk app

#8 soundguy

• 4,466 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

If in Cook, does the transferer still need to submit make-model-s/n to local Police Chief? Sent using Tapatalk app

I never heard that one before. Hmmm...

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#9 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 2,728 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

Where does it say that at? Do you have a citation for the statute/ordinance?

A search brings up this on the Cook County Sheriff's website: http://www.cookcount...nformation.html

The link on there brings up the following form: Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or Transferred Firearms Report

I thought the preemption in the FCCA would obviate that. Anyone know the true disposition of this, with regards to the various categories of firearms (handgun vs. long gun)?

Update: Well, this is on the books, according to what I have been able to find: http://cookcounty-il...pti_ch58_artvii

Again, does anyone know if the FCCA's preemption moots this for handguns?

Edited by ChicagoRonin70, 08 September 2017 - 10:44 AM.

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#10 THE KING

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

I believe Section 90 Preemption does in fact negate their requirement to notify them of a transfer or sale of a firearm.

Just my opinion

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ISP Certified Illinois Conceal Carry Instructor
Retired Professional Firefighter / Paramedic

#11 WitchDoctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

I believe Section 90 Preemption does in fact negate their requirement to notify them of a transfer or sale of a firearm.

Just my opinion

I am amazed it is this hard to transfer as an inheritance a weapon. I want my kid to get my armory.

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

3/504 P.I.R Blue Devil

25 years US Army

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

#12 Glock23

I am no one.

• 3,602 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

If you die, you are not required to fill out transfer paperwork and keep it for 10 years. ;) Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member

** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender

** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year Member

** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#13 kster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:24 PM

If you die, you are not required to fill out transfer paperwork and keep it for 10 years. ;) Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

well...you can still stick it to the man if you're dead...

#14 WitchDoctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

at least you can still vote!

ISRA Member

NRA Life Member

3/504 P.I.R Blue Devil

25 years US Army

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

#15 Bo69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:53 AM

at least you can still vote!

only democrat though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users