Removing tape from a gun stock

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jfd287

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

So one of my children thought my Mosin Nagant stock would look better if it was black. So he wrapped the stock in black gorilla tape. What’s the best way to get the tape off with doing the least amount of damage to the finish of the stock. The tape is taking off the varnish/or whatever oil the stock was finished with. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NRA Lifetime Member, ISRA Lifetime Member

#2 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

The adhesive on Gorilla Tape is extremely corrosive to paints and varnishes, as well as oils, I have found. You might be best served bringing it to a someone who works on wood restoration and have them take it off, and refinish the stock. I think that's going to be your most reasonable option.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#3 jfd287

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:12 PM

It’s not like it’s a special gun worth spending a lot of money on by taking it to a professional. I just like the gun because it’s old and would like to keep it as it is. Thanks for the thought. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 Dx54r

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:20 PM

Actually, why did your children get unsupervised access to your firearms? Keep it black as a reminder of your shame.

Edited by Dx54r, 13 February 2018 - 06:23 PM.

#5 soundguy

• 5,379 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:23 PM

You might try applying Goo Gone to the tape. Let it sit for awhile. If it penetrates, it should soften the adhesive. You could also apply it under the tape as you gently peel it back.

On-line, people report it will not harm finished wood. I’ve used it successfully on metal surfaces to clean things up, but never on wood. I might give it a try to remove candle wax from a table. Darned kids... and not even mine!
Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#6 Palm22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

Heat it with a heat gun or hair dryer then use goo gone or maybe mineral spirits to remove the residue.

#7 Tommy6862

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:29 PM

wd 40 will remove the glue without destroying the finish.

#8 jfd287

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:42 PM

Actually, why did your children get unsupervised access to your firearms? Keep it black as a reminder of your shame.

It was just the stock.
The receiver and barrel was put into an arch angel stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#9 luckydawg13

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:15 PM

may help you 

Kid's that Hunt and Fish don't Mug old Ladies 

#10 spec5

Nuclear Member

• Members
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

You might try applying Goo Gone to the tape. Let it sit for awhile. If it penetrates, it should soften the adhesive. You could also apply it under the tape as you gently peel it back.
On-line, people report it will not harm finished wood. Ive used it successfully on metal surfaces to clean things up, but never on wood. I might give it a try to remove candle wax from a table. Darned kids... and not even mine!

Yes Goo Gone. It will emulsify the glue. I have also used on cars to remove those darn dealer stickers on the back of cars.

Edited by spec5, 13 February 2018 - 07:18 PM.

NRA Member Life Member
ISRA Member
Illinois Carry
Pershing Nuclear Missile 56th Field Artillery Brigade Veteran
1/41 Field Artillary Germany

#11 spanishjames

• 2,758 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:17 PM

wd 40 will remove the glue without destroying the finish.

+1

We use WD40 at work to remove adhesive residue from most everything. I would NOT use any kind of heat on it.

To disarm is to consent to slavery.

#12 InterestedBystander

• 5,216 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

On-line, people report it will not harm finished wood. Ive used it successfully on metal surfaces to clean things up, but never on wood. I might give it a try to remove candle wax from a table. Darned kids... and not even mine!

I've used Goo Gone successfully before but never on a stock. Their web site says finished wood should be ok as mentioned..

Edited by InterestedBystander, 13 February 2018 - 08:23 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸 "Remember in November" 🗳️
Rauner, Harold, Dodge, 46th HD:Kinzler, 8th CD:Diganvker, 55th HD:Smolenski, 91st HD:Unes

#13 jfd287

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

I got the tape off. A lot of the finish did come off. Now I’ll watch a few you tube videos and see what I can do. Thanks to all Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#14 MagSlap

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:37 PM

Goo Gone FTW...

#15 Hatchet

• 2,776 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

use it as practice to sand and re oil the stock or sand stain and clear the stock.

"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

#16 Kingcreek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:33 PM

strip it, lightly sand it, refinish it with boiled linseed oil.

I actually like Fidde's Hard Wax Oil better for really nice wood but its pricey and your stock is milsurp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users