Reviews of IL CCW Classes- post them here

askoop

I did the first 4 of 12 hours yesterday at buffalo range between Utica and ottowa. Excellent class, heading back today for the final 8. Good mix of practical drills and scenarios kept it interesting. The price is reasonable esp since they honored my Utah permit for 4 hours and charged $135 for 12. 2 cert classes are local and more convenient for me but were 300 and 400 and I would have to take all 16.

Posted · Hidden by GlockShooter, December 30, 2013 at 09:57 PM - Dupe
Hidden by GlockShooter, December 30, 2013 at 09:57 PM - Dupe
I'm going tomorrow to Buffalo range in Ottawa for the 16 hour class its for Monday and Tuesday the weather supposed to be rainy really cold tomorrow and Tuesday in the 30's yikes. I will post back here Tuesday night or Wednesday about how it all went.

Yesterday I did my second 8 with "OCC Firearm Training Center"out of Kankakee. Tina Odle,Brian Buchanan,Ray Odle all excellent conceal carry instructors,in my laymen's opinion.I will use them again for any future training I need.Iplan on giving out their business card to my friends. Dedicated people like these three deserve our support.Profit made from my class is going to firearms ed of youth.Makes me feel good about the whole deal. For you B27 Annie Oakleys out there.One of our best 30 round shot groups was owned by an 85 year old gentleman,you could almost cover it with a dollar bill. Brothers,never forgotten!

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed our program. I really enjoyed the class this week as well. We had a great group of people in this class.

Just finished my 16 hrs (yesterday and today) of training with Chip, Julian, Michelle, and Tony at Top Shot Academy (taught at Cabela's in Hoffman Estates). I was very impressed with the training they provided. Nothing bad to say. They are top notch. It was one stop shopping with classroom, electronic finger printing, and then live fire qualification. Did a lot of in class training on the Glock Sert pistols. Very life like. Drew from holster, shooting from holster, pivoting and shooting, shooting from a chair...all kinds of practical stuff. They are former law enforcement guys that do a lot of competition shooting when not teaching courses. I would not hesitate to recommend training with them. They went beyond what was dictated by the state. It is obvious they love what they do. You will not regret training with them...my 2 cents. Thank you Chip. - Matt

Took the second 8 hour class with Thomas from CGS. He did a great job with presenting the material, instructing on drawing your pistol , and answering questions during the classroom portion of the class .

I liked that the ammo, targets, range fee, breakfast and lunch were included in the price. While on the range, Thomas was kind and patient with my girlfriend who is somewhat new to shooting. From an observational standpoint, I noticed the other people partaking in the class were nice, easy to talk to and genuinely engaged in learning. There is really something special about the firearms community.

The commute from the LHI training center (nice place, great people), to Article II was a little inconvenient . Once at article II the range was packed and required a wait.

Overall good experience and would recommend Thomas to others to complete your second 8 hours.

Thanks again Thomas.

Took the second 8 hour class with Thomas from CGS. He did a great job with presenting the material, instructing on drawing your pistol , and answering questions during the classroom portion of the class .

I liked that the ammo, targets, range fee, breakfast and lunch were included in the price. While on the range, Thomas was kind and patient with my girlfriend who is somewhat new to shooting. From an observational standpoint, I noticed the other people partaking in the class were nice, easy to talk to and genuinely engaged in learning. There is really something special about the firearms community.

The commute from the LHI training center (nice place, great people), to Article II was a little inconvenient . Once at article II the range was packed and required a wait.

Overall good experience and would recommend Thomas to others to complete your second 8 hours.

Thanks again Thomas.

+1, and good to meet you!

SSDD

I finished my second 8 with Nick (bobapunk) and Mike on Saturday down in Macomb. Excellent course given the fluid nature of the law and lack of any case law. I suck at these reviews so I'll assign a grade: A+

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

xbaltzx & headcase, Thanks you both very much. It too was my pleasure to meet with each of you as well as Jacqueline and everyone else. I apologize for the traffic I was not expecting there to be a jam exiting the city. I know it won't help now but I am scheduling future training classes in close proximity to the shooting ranges to reduce this travel time.

Also +1 to LHI. Dave and Colleen and Indigo(Jim) are great! I hope to use their facility again on less traffic congested days.

xbaltzx & headcase, Thanks you both very much. It too was my pleasure to meet with each of you as well as Jacqueline and everyone else. I apologize for the traffic I was not expecting there to be a jam exiting the city. I know it won't help now but I am scheduling future training classes in close proximity to the shooting ranges to reduce this travel time.

Also +1 to LHI. Dave and Colleen and Indigo(Jim) are great! I hope to use their facility again on less traffic congested days.

Don't worry about it, there are kinks in any new procedure...and I'm sure you'll get your's straightened out before the State does!

SSDD

Took my second 8 hours with Mike from Illinois Gun Pros today. Even though it is basically a new class, he seemed well prepared and the class moved right along. He has good training equipment and teaches the classroom part only a mile or so from Article 2 in Lombard. I really have nothing to compare it to, but am satisfied with the training I received and it was reasonably priced. And perfect for the holiday, hats off to the vet in our class who, after 30 rounds, put just 3 holes in the B27, all in the bullseye: two single shots and one about the size of a half dollar!

Just finished my 16 hrs (yesterday and today) of training with Chip, Julian, Michelle, and Tony at Top Shot Academy (taught at Cabela's in Hoffman Estates). I was very impressed with the training they provided. Nothing bad to say. They are top notch. It was one stop shopping with classroom, electronic finger printing, and then live fire qualification. Did a lot of in class training on the Glock Sert pistols. Very life like. Drew from holster, shooting from holster, pivoting and shooting, shooting from a chair...all kinds of practical stuff. They are former law enforcement guys that do a lot of competition shooting when not teaching courses. I would not hesitate to recommend training with them. They went beyond what was dictated by the state. It is obvious they love what they do. You will not regret training with them...my 2 cents. Thank you Chip. - Matt

Matt, thanks for the kind words. It was GREAT having you as a student.

- chip

I just finished my 16hr Illinois conceal carry class by Final Defense Inc at Buffalo range today. What an experience on Monday they had some people reschedule cause of the holiday so it was me and another guy but he left after 4hrs and then it was just me and my instructor Art who is (a Police Officer) for the last 4hrs so I was able to get a lot of one on one time and do some real life scenarios. On Tuesday there were 5 of us. Art is a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to handling and firing of a firearm. We went over the Illinois conceal carry law and did a bunch of drills like what to do when a misfire happens or a double feed and how to draw your firearm and hold it correctly. I have been shooting since I was 10yrs old but that's just shooting at targets but the situations and scenarios that Art put us through I never practiced or did before so he opened my eyes up to a lot of things and things to keep practicing on so they become second nature to you when you need them. Arts a great Instructor and even all the range instructors are very friendly and good guys. I would recommend Final Defense Inc at Buffalo range to everyone for their concealed training

On Veterans day, I took the final 8 hrs of class from Mike Bius at Illinois Gun Pros in Lombard. Due to the holiday, it was a small class, but Mike didn't take any shortcuts. I really appreciated his time, knowledge and ability to communicate. The class was just a couple minutes from Article 2 (the range). Mike was very thorough concerning the law and what he didn't know, he passed on where and how to find our own research. All in all, I would highly recommend Mike!! Also, the class was very affordable ($122.).

Thank you Papa for the kind words it was our pleasure !

Okay, so yesterday I finished my second 4 hours of my second 8 hours I needed with Metro-Training-Group at RKA Gun Gallery in Plano. We had Dan as lead instructor and Bud as assistant. The range time was definitely great, and Dan added some extra drills and exercises that I found to be greatly beneficial. I was moved to an increased confidence level with my pistol.

I do hope I am able to take a more advanced pistol class with them next year, to gauge and hopefully improve my shots under a more stressful situation.

Thank you to Dan and Bud for your time!

Today I participated in Concealed Carry training, second 8 hour portion, with Shooters Plus Training Team out of Auburn. It was great, all the way up until the tornado sirens went off. All of the classroom materials covered, but range time rescheduled for next weekend. 25 mph sustained winds on an outdoor range was just too dangerous after the rain stopped. Looking forward to completing next weekend, but the extended forecast says 35 degrees. Brrr.

There was a ILCC class held 7 miles from me today with 40 students in it and range time on a farm.Next weekend there will be a ILCC class exactly 5 miles from me the opposite direction.

And Next weekend i am driving 330 miles round trip to get my ILCC training from a person i have had TWO previous training classes with!

See ya next weekend Craig!

Sorry but I had to laugh my butt off when I read Craig's review of himself !!

Lol....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I took my IL CCW class at Tombstone Gun Range in Marion, Illinois this weekend. I don't really have aything else to compare it to so I can't say xxx place of business was better or not.

However: The course content was a review of everything I've read for the last 3-4 months, I realize not everyone takes the time or has the initiative to actually read the FCCA law but I do have the time and intiative and the class confirmed that of what I had read, interpreted and a confirmed the debate I've read on.

The range portion of the class was a breeze, follow the range officers instructions, shoot your best, enjoy a high score.

I did notice the instructors on the range were very good at working with shooters who had trouble, one woman in particular had a Kimber 1911 that was just TOO BIG and powerful for her hands and they found a smaller lighter recoiling pistol for her to shoot and she was able to shoot well. I kinda wondered why her husband had her shoot with a Kimber 1911 and he had a 9mm she had shot before, and no offer to switch pistols with her, baffles me? Personally I didn't require much on the range, I did have two failure to extract issues on my XD-9 that I had never have happen before which I was happy that happened as I then had to work through them. Maybe an extractor is getting weak, maybe the ammunition was junk, either way I worked through it and went on. When it first happened the range officer watched over my shoulder as i cleared it, said good job on clearing.

My dad took the course at the same time I did, he thought it informative and had a better grasp on where and when he could and could not carry.

All in all I would recommend them. I have nothing bad to say but also nothing to compare it to. It is what it is as far as the course has to teach you the law which it does and you have to qualify which you do.

I have to take another 4 hours which I will also do at Tombstone and plan on taking some other courses in more advanced shooting with them also.

Did a CCW this weekend in NE Illinois 20+ people one instrutor for the most part, room was to small, while I did learn some things I really had not thought of ,did not really care for the constant Glock pistol is the only pistol for carry ,everything else is crap story also was way to tolerant of racial comments being made by people including himself, that being said, the instructor seemed fairly knowlageable, ex Cook Co cop, had to shoot outdoors in the rain ,never change out the targets between shooters ,I guess price was o.k. $275+$125 for Fla and Utah $55 for IL prints and picture.

Here's a recent review from one of our students that's not on IC yet. I think you'll find it consistent with our other reviews, but a bit more detaied....

Chip and Julian,

I just completed your CCW class over the weekend.

My expecations were low. I'd heard that some classes focus hours on cleaning a gun, some do a deep dive into the law and its nuances, etc.

Your class, which I recognize at this point is a work in progress, far exceeded my expectations. The instructors conveyed the info in an informative and useful manner, keeping it real life and practical. You had a very mixed class, its hard to meet everyone's needs. I could tell by the level of participation that you kept everyone engaged. Nice job.

The exercises were broad in scope and yet not so much that it was overwhelming. I can remember every exercise and plan on practicing dry fire often. I really enjoyed to self defense color and relating it to situations. Hopefully not, but that could be very useful some day. I also appreciate the disussion of interactions with LEOs. For me, as a law abiding citizen, my interactions with LEOs is minimal. It was very useful fo for me to have an overview of suggested ways of making an interaction with a LEO safe for him/her and me.

And, I know when dealing with the Second Amendment its hard to not reference politics at some level. I appreciate that you did call it like you see it. Your class was there to learn how to carry and shoot, we'd like to protect that right. We'd also like to protect ourselves from the uneducated, uniformed, ignorant, self serving morons in office. Thanks for pointing our their ongoing idiocy.

I'll be recommending your class to others and will be looking into some of your other courses.

Respectfully,

Bob S.

I completed the second 8 hrs of training with Rocco @ Black Flag Firearms. I was amazed at his ability to decipher Illinois law and apply it to understandable situations. Did a great job of keeping people on the edge of their seats and engaged. The class ran 10 plus hours with no complaints. The advanced extras he shared could save your life. I would train with him at twice the price (don’t tell him).

I was considering becoming a CCW instructor and I was attending the class secondarily to see what was involved in presenting the material. Rocco set the bar very high, I would need to really improve my skill set to even come close to Rocco’s Program. I highly recommend his class without hesitation.

Did a CCW this weekend in NE Illinois 20+ people one instrutor for the most part, room was to small, while I did learn some things I really had not thought of ,did not really care for the constant Glock pistol is the only pistol for carry ,everything else is crap story also was way to tolerant of racial comments being made by people including himself, that being said, the instructor seemed fairly knowlageable, ex Cook Co cop, had to shoot outdoors in the rain ,never change out the targets between shooters ,I guess price was o.k. $275+$125 for Fla and Utah $55 for IL prints and picture.

What? The IL course on its own is enough to qualify you for a FL permit.

An over packed classroom and unnecessarily being charged for certificates does not sound like a fair deal to me...

Archived