Photo

Board review?!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
118 replies to this topic

#61 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• Members
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

Sent in my app on 1/2/15 waiting "under board review" since then...sigh

Do you mean 1/2/2016?
I ask as you stated before that it's been almost a year this past december.
If it's been since 2015, I'd PM MollyB about it and see if she can look into it.
You'd be at a two year wait now and iirc someone went 16 or 18 months before but that was the longest I think.

Either way, good luck

Edit: I see where you posted today that's it's 10 months now....

Edited by Bubbacs, 12 January 2017 - 06:17 PM.

#62 KENDLLB360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

You know we all keep talking about a suit...LET'S JUST DO IT!!!..let's all sign n sue the state for this crap.

#63 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• Members
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

"WE" are not talking about a lawsuit.
And posting across multiple threads about the same.....well, try to focus!
But here's an idea, hope it helps.

Get a lawyer and have a lawsuit drawn up, get it filed and then maybe some guys might want to be apart, but most don't have the funds to rail against the state at the drop of the hat.
Over the course of gore plus years several gave posted about filing such, but none has come up with the attorney to do same.

We all feel the same anger with the people being denied, slowed, and obstructed but it's the system until the powers behind the current scene get changes made.

Good Luck

#64 andersenjames

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:19 PM

Hello,

This forum has been very helpful to me, so today I wanted to give something back, and tell you you can put your mind at ease after having your CCL status go to “Under Board Review.”

I completed my CCL Training in Skokie IL December 2015 and applied for my AZ and IL conceal-carry permit on December 31, 2015. Within about 6 weeks, I had my AZ permit, but then on March 1, 2016, the unthinkable happened - my Illinois application had been flagged for Board Review. 

First the obvious question - why did *I* go to Board Review? In reading about what constitutes a potential trigger, the text fails to mention that something as minor as a “contact card” can put you in the system. And, it is my understanding that the Cook County Sheriff’s office does no vetting of their own. They load their objections, no matter how petty, into a dump truck and leave them at the steps of the ISP for them to deal with.

In my opinion, this does two things: It takes a reasonable vetting process by the ISP and turns it into an onerous burden for the ISP and the Board, and it ensnares people who would never have been singled out in a different county or state. Together, it adds quite a bit of time to the processing of the application. So settle in for a wait. I don’t mean to sound callous, but I wish I could have read those same words back in March so I could set my own expectations.

Instead, I was logging in to the ISPFSB website everyday after work with breathless anticipation of what their verdict would be, all the while wondering why I was there in the first place. It is worth noting that I was stopped twice in the past 10 years when walking near my house - once by detectives, and once by a uniformed officer, but in both instances I DO know why they would question me. Both times, in separate years, I was walking from a corner gas station in brutally cold, windy, Chicago-style, winter weather late at night (10:00 wish), and they rightly wondered what a sane man would be doing out walking at that hour in those conditions. In both instances, I had just “quit” tobacco and picked up a new tin of Grizzly long cut, and after brief and courteous exchange, I was on my way.

Of course I had no way of knowing whether either of these two events figured in to board review, but what I did know is that I had never done anything in my life that would disqualify me. Since I had never been involved in a domestic disturbance, or had a DUI, or was committed to a psych hospital, or been arrested for gang activity, deep down inside I knew it would come thru, but the issue of “why" gnawed at me daily.

I did not call the ISP. I did not write the review board. I left everyone alone and just let the process work - especially as I learned how difficult Cook County makes it for the Board members by sending thousands of objections when the number of objections should be closer to the tens (I think fewer than 1% of Board Reviewed cases are ultimately rejected, but someone out there can correct me on this).

The one thing I would do differently is I would stay the heck off of ispfsb.com except for a once monthly check, because it really served no purpose at all to be checking every day, when it might be months until they even pull my application for review.

As the letters came, and as I realized it would be awhile, I decided my time would be best served shopping for a firearm (yes, I did not even own a firearm at this point), and also to train as much as possible, so when the day finally came, I would be ready. For me, it is JUST me. I don’t have any acquaintances or coworkers that share my conviction at all, so I had no reference point on anything. Since I was a bit lost, I used this time to prepare, and it served me well, and it will serve you well too. It also helps keep your mind off of the “Hey fella, we didn’t get to you yet” letters from the ISP.

In March 2016, I started searching in earnest for the perfect handgun. I quickly learned that there is no single holy grail, but that everything is trade-off. Since I am 6’ tall and 155 pounds (fully clothed and soaking wet), my vertebrae would print thru a snowmobile suit, so I needed something small but effective. After months of reading reviews and comments, the Glock 26 kept rising to the top in my head, and by September, I was the proud owner of a Glock 26 Gen 4.

At the same time, I wanted more training. What are my real responsibilities? Some may take offense to this, but the ONLY reason I chose to conceal-carry is to protect my family, and my family only. I am not an officer, special agent, savior of the day for the cheering crowds, or anything of that sort. My job, as I saw it then, and see it now, is to get me and my family out of harms way, and to engage ONLY for my, or my family’s need for immediate protection. I felt guilty about excluding all others until I started classroom training in earnest.

I decided on a 7 dvd box set that was engaging and very informative. Couldn’t wait to get home from work and see what was next in the training. If anyone is interested in the company or product name, let me know, but I am not mentioning it here because this post is not an ad, it is just to share my experience in case it helps someone else. As the months went by and the ISP “not yet, buddy” letters accumulated, so did my DVD collection from this trainer. I now have everything put out by them, and will buy the next release of whatever they offer. This training is what gave me my sense of place in the world of conceal-carry, and also provided reams of training on everything from mastering handgun accuracy to what to expect in a real-life encounter. I was very happy to have completed this before my first day in the public conceal-carry.

With more time to kill, I did as much hand wringing over holsters as I did with the firearm purchase, and decided to try IWB 4:30 carry. I ask my wife to take a picture of my back when I was all geared up, and it looked like my butt had a butt. So I put that away and will pull it out if I can ever manage to gain 15 pounds or so. I then got a Kydex IWB to carry in the appendix position, which is perfect for me.

By the first week of October 2016, I had my 6th “we’ll get to you eventually” letter from the ISP, my Glock 26, and my holster, so I started carrying around the house and yard ONLY. The first two weeks I carried with and empty firearm and no magazine. The enormity of the responsibility was settling in. It is like the difference between walking a 2 x 6 when suspended 4 inches over the ground, and walking the same 2 x 6 when suspended 40 stories up. You tend to thing real hard about every step when there is a lot to lose, so training and practice took on an even deeper purpose for me.

After another week, and after cleaning all the lint out of my brand new, unfired firearm, I decided to carry empty, but with the magazine. I wanted to learn to feel comfortable with the firearm, and also to ensure that no-one in the house could see that I was carrying (my wife was on board from the day I enrolled in CCL classes) but for anyone dropping by, I wanted to be sure I could completely conceal.

By November, it was time to carry with a full magazine, but nothing in the chamber, and it was also time to get the “you’re not going to believe this, but we STILL haven’t reviewed you” letter from the ISP.

December, another ISP letter, and carrying loaded and chambered. By now, by just spending a few minutes a day, I had accumulated 1500+ dry-fires in practice based on my DVD training, and had finally attained the comfort level with my firearm and carry style knowing that my muscle-memory won’t let me down. I still continue to train, because the act of training itself is in my muscle-memory. Just a few minutes - 30 minutes a day, is all it takes.

In the first week of January, 2017, I did not receive the ISP letter. By now I was conditioned to receiving it, so I asked my wife if she had seen it come in (haha). I logged into ISPFSB.com and my status had changed from “Under Board Review” to “Under Review.” In Chrome, I right clicked on the “Under Review” line and selected “Inspect” and in the window that opened I saw “Approved.”

The next day, I checked again, and it said “Active” !!!!!! (The exclamation marks are mine :-)) All the blood left my face, and I logged back out and back in, just to confirm. Finally, relief. Finally, the process had run its course. By January 13, I had my card in hand, and my Glock 26, loaded and chambered, has been with me everywhere I go (I do not go to places with the “victims only” sign on the front door prohibiting CC. Never have, never will).

I discovered the internet in 1994 or 1995, but this is the first time I have ever posted to a forum. The reason I am doing this now is that this is a big decision for all of us. It is a responsibility that we choose to shoulder that few understand. The “Under Board Review” letter felt like a cold slap in the face, and I had no idea what to do, except to wait it out, and to make sure the time I spent waiting was also spent wisely. Hope the turn around time for everyone reading this is shorter, but mine took 1 year and 13 days, but for me, it turns out that was just perfect, because when it arrived, I *knew* I was ready. Soon, you will be posting that you also received yours.

#65 OrlandInstructor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

Congratulations! Welcome to the forum.

#66 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 16,768 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:50 PM

Hello,

This forum has been very helpful to me, so today I wanted to give something back, and tell you you can put your mind at ease after having your CCL status go to “Under Board Review.”

anderson!

This is a wonderful first post - thank you very much and welcome to IllinoisCarry!

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#67 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:47 PM

That is a four star first post!!

Congratulations and welcome to Illinois Carry.

Carry often and safely.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#68 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• Members
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:59 AM

@andersenjames

A very Welcome to the IC Forums sir.

And ::::::::claps, claps, slaps all around::::::::

#69 Windermere

Bacon Junkie

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

Anderson welcome to the forum! Great post. I had to wait a year for mine as well, not as patiently as you I must say, but I did make good time of it by training at home as much as possible also.
"Always remember, your ability to shoot and have a firearm makes it so that you are not subjected to the whims of other people without your permission. So, in other words, if you don't want to get raped, robbed, pillaged, or plundered... get a gun."
-Clint Smith

#70 brianj - now in Kansas

Political refugee from the People's Republic of IL

• Members
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

Hello,

::snip::

Slow clap, sir!

Welcome!  I've always felt bad for the folks that have had to run through the board review process (my permit showed up in around 60 days).  And it's incredibly annoying that Tom Dart is the kind of law enforcement officer that would rather mock the law than enforce it.

It's always been easy for us to say, "Be patient, the system works."  It has much more impact coming from someone that's had to live through that process.

Well played.

Brian

"Your father's 1911..  Not as random or clumsy as a Glock.  A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age." -- Obi Wan Kenobi

#71 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

And it's incredibly annoying that Tom Dart is the kind of law enforcement officer that would rather mock the law than enforce it.

He's a law enforcement officer in name only. He's just a politician with an agenda, and as they normally do, he'll keep doing his thing until a court (either legal or the court of public opinion) stops him.
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#72 Maladina

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

After reading Andersen James post I feel like a scumbag because of my encounters with law enforcement. Yes, I have made a lot of bad conscious decisions in my past. But, my past is exactly that. It doesn't define my entire character and represent who am I am today. I am a Illinois state certified Substance Abuse counselor and have completed a 40 hour and 20 hour Domestic Violence training course in order to facilitate groups for offenders and advocate for victim safety. I work, pay taxes and am trying to survive in a world where some people frown on this lifestyle. If the Cook County Sheriff is objecting because of my past, then they are implying no one can change from being negatively influenced into positively reinforced. Why have prisons, rehabs, therapy, counseling, etc.? I just can't believe how living a life abiding by the law feels like living a life breaking it.

#73 andersenjames

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

After reading Andersen James post I feel like a scumbag because of my encounters with law enforcement. Yes, I have made a lot of bad conscious decisions in my past. But, my past is exactly that. It doesn't define my entire character and represent who am I am today. I am a Illinois state certified Substance Abuse counselor and have completed a 40 hour and 20 hour Domestic Violence training course in order to facilitate groups for offenders and advocate for victim safety. I work, pay taxes and am trying to survive in a world where some people frown on this lifestyle. If the Cook County Sheriff is objecting because of my past, then they are implying no one can change from being negatively influenced into positively reinforced. Why have prisons, rehabs, therapy, counseling, etc.? I just can't believe how living a life abiding by the law feels like living a life breaking it.

Hi Maladina,

Thank you for what you do every day for people who need help - who need someone to show them the way - whose souls need rescued. You may have no idea of the amazing and positive impact you have on people every day of every week of every month of every year, but for each person who listens to your words, and follows your example, there life will, and does, become magical.

Redemption is personal - whether Cook County tips their hat is irrelevant to you (and me) and your (and my) journey. When I look back at all those years ago, I am amazed and thankful that I even survived high school, let alone graduated. All men have their prodigal years, and only by God’s grace are we alive today to look back and lament the foolishness of youth. I have always said it is such a pity that youth is wasted on the young. :-) (I am sure I learned that from someone but am unable to attribute the source).

If your have a FOID card and your “past" is greater than 5 years in the past, then whether Cook county cares about that distant past is again irrelevant, because the ISP cares only about the recent past (5 years). Cook county squanders opportunities for greatness at every opportunity, whereas you push for it at every turn. Please don’t let "7 cent bag tax” Cook county and its goose-stepping politicians have any influence over how YOU view the man in the mirror.

If you are under board review, just sit tight like I did, and it will come thru. Thanks again for what you are doing, and God Bless and God Speed!

#74 Bitter Clinger

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:43 AM

Great story!  I love reading them.

Congrats on your success on finally getting your permission slip.

#75 biggun 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

the sad thing is tom dart doe,s this every day with no concern to the fact that he is adding time to the waiting period of the cc process.how he got voted in is beyond me and i thank god i don,t live in crook county.

#76 Blackhawksfan332

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:31 AM

I applied 2-3-16, went on board review sometime late march. My app just went from under board review to under review yesterday.

#77 Glock23

I am no one.

• Members
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

^^ Congrats!

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member
** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender
** Gun Owners of America - Annual Member
** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year American Hero Member
** Second Amendment Foundation - Life Member
** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#78 Molly B.

• 16,768 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

I applied 2-3-16, went on board review sometime late march. My app just went from under board review to under review yesterday.

Congratulations!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#79 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• Members
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

Congrats
And
It's a BlackHawksFan.......double winner

#80 KlownKevin

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

Congratz! Thank you for sharing. I applied the last day of April 2016, this is great news! Sounds like the board is chewing through these objections!

Edited by KlownKevin, 16 February 2017 - 05:36 PM.

#81 Blackhawksfan332

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

License went active on 2/26. I'll update once more when I get my card in hand to provide some insight on timeframe for other folks who are waiting

#82 04 Cobra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:40 AM

License went active on 2/26. I'll update once more when I get my card in hand to provide some insight on timeframe for other folks who are waiting

Congrats!!!!!  LETS GO HAWKS!!!!!

#83 Jthomas590

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

Applied 12/27/15 and been getting 30 day notices since then. Today I got a notification from the review board on my ILSP account asking about an open case against me involving planting a pipe bomb on school grounds in the town I live in. I have never been charged with anything close to this or even heard anything about this. So I responded to the the message saying that. After I callsd the local police asking to see if there is an open case against me on the matter and they didnt have anything on file about it. Any thoughts of what I should do next?

Thanks for the help
Jeremy

#84 Molly B.

• 16,768 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

Applied 12/27/15 and been getting 30 day notices since then. Today I got a notification from the review board on my ILSP account asking about an open case against me involving planting a pipe bomb on school grounds in the town I live in. I have never been charged with anything close to this or even heard anything about this. So I responded to the the message saying that. After I callsd the local police asking to see if there is an open case against me on the matter and they didnt have anything on file about it. Any thoughts of what I should do next?

Thanks for the help
Jeremy

First, check your ISPFSB dashboard page and see if the portal/box for submitting a response is still open/accessible.  In most cases, once you hit submit the portal closes and you can no longer submit information.  If this is the case and you want to submit an official response with information you might be obtaining from police/court records, you will want to contact the CCL Review Board immediately to let them know your communication was NOT your official response but just a reply to their message.

The local police may not have anything on file, but you also need to check at the circuit court in the county where you live.  If your county is included in the judici.com database, you can start there.  You may find information that these charges are against someone with a similar name.  That info could be very helpful in your response.

#85 Jthomas590

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

First, check your ISPFSB dashboard page and see if the portal/box for submitting a response is still open/accessible.  In most cases, once you hit submit the portal closes and you can no longer submit information.  If this is the case and you want to submit an official response with information you might be obtaining from police/court records, you will want to contact the CCL Review Board immediately to let them know your communication was NOT your official response but just a reply to their message.
The local police may not have anything on file, but you also need to check at the circuit court in the county where you live.  If your county is included in the judici.com database, you can start there.  You may find information that these charges are against someone with a similar name.  That info could be very helpful in your response.[/quote]

I have already responded and the box is now gone. What is the best way to contact the Review Board to solve the issue? My county is not on that website so I will have to call on monday and see if the circut court has any info. Thank you for the response

#86 Molly B.

• 16,768 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

I have already responded and the box is now gone. What is the best way to contact the Review Board to solve the issue? My county is not on that website so I will have to call on monday and see if the circut court has any info. Thank you for the response

Pm your full legal name and application number to me, please.

#87 Jthomas590

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

Pm sent

#88 Molly B.

• 16,768 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Pm sent

got it.

#89 jim mc5202

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Hey all! Been following for quite a few months. I applied Jan 19, 2016. Under board review roughly 2.5 months later. Received 30 day notices from then until the most recent one last week. My last 30 day extension came the very same day that my ccl came in the mail. Those letters are generated automatically whether your application is moving forward or not.

I had an objection from 11 years ago. It was a local domestic non violent report. No arrest. Sent in letters from family, friends and employer stating that i was not a danger to myself or others. Month and a half later i have the license finally. It's been a long wait but it seems like they are picking up the pace recently. This is my first post. Just wanted to share some good news.

Feel free to ask any questions about my process as it may give you some insight where i can. Thanks for all of your previous feedback. Keep your record clean and be ready to explain yourself for what may be something minor. It is a pain to wait so long but it's good that the process is so stringent. I have been told that there only a few people doing all of the decision making for the entire state. That will slow things down! Hang in there.

#90 andersenjames

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

Hey all! Been following for quite a few months. I applied Jan 19, 2016. Under board review roughly 2.5 months later. Received 30 day notices from then until the most recent one last week. My last 30 day extension came the very same day that my ccl came in the mail. Those letters are generated automatically whether your application is moving forward or not.

I had an objection from 11 years ago. It was a local domestic non violent report. No arrest. Sent in letters from family, friends and employer stating that i was not a danger to myself or others. Month and a half later i have the license finally. It's been a long wait but it seems like they are picking up the pace recently. This is my first post. Just wanted to share some good news.

Feel free to ask any questions about my process as it may give you some insight where i can. Thanks for all of your previous feedback. Keep your record clean and be ready to explain yourself for what may be something minor. It is a pain to wait so long but it's good that the process is so stringent. I have been told that there only a few people doing all of the decision making for the entire state. That will slow things down! Hang in there.

Wish the forum had a "like" link! :-)

Congratulations!!

Are you in Cook county? Seems like so far Cook county is the only "objector" worried about things a decade-plus in the past and gumming up the works, but curious whether other counties are doing the same thing, so thought I'd ask.

Again, Congratulations!

-andersenjames