What if your FOID expires and you don't renew?

clamzo

What happens if you are a FOID holder that has a firearm in the home but your spouse isn't a FOID holder, you aren't home and they are???

I always wondered that too. Does that mean your (spouse, SO, houseguest, etc...) w/o a FOID card is committing a felony, just because the FOID card holder is not home? Also, does it translate to a criminal act for the FOID card holder for leaving their house while there is a Firearm there? (e.g. are you "transferring" it to someone who you know has no legal ability to take possession) What about if you have a trusted neighbor or relative checking your home when you're away on vacation? Are they committing a crime if you have a firearm somewhere in the home?

I started a new thread for this question.

FOID Q?

Here in Chicago, you have always had the possibility of the joint ISP-CPD gun task force knocking on your door and confiscating your firearms. Chicago requires all firearms to be registered with the city, which provides a handy, dandy database which they can periodically crosscheck with the FOID database. If you are in the City's file, but your FOID has expired, guess what? At the minimum, your firearms are taken.

I have "heard" this before, but no one is able to cite an actual case where this sort of thing has ever happened.

Are you able to provide one?

I can't provide actual documentation, but my source is a friend who spent 5 years on the CPD gun unit. One of the stories he told me was of a 70+ year old veteran of Korea who had a handgun registered with the city before Jane Byrne made it impossible to register any more handguns. He forgot to renew his FOID, and a state trooper with the task force knocked on his door and confiscated his 1911.

Here in Chicago, you have always had the possibility of the joint ISP-CPD gun task force knocking on your door and confiscating your firearms. Chicago requires all firearms to be registered with the city, which provides a handy, dandy database which they can periodically crosscheck with the FOID database. If you are in the City's file, but your FOID has expired, guess what? At the minimum, your firearms are taken.

I have "heard" this before, but no one is able to cite an actual case where this sort of thing has ever happened.

Are you able to provide one?

I can't provide actual documentation, but my source is a friend who spent 5 years on the CPD gun unit. One of the stories he told me was of a 70+ year old veteran of Korea who had a handgun registered with the city before Jane Byrne made it impossible to register any more handguns. He forgot to renew his FOID, and a state trooper with the task force knocked on his door and confiscated his 1911.

JUst wondering, was your friend supportive and proud of this action?? I realize (hope) that he wasn't the state trooper.

JUst wondering, was your friend supportive and proud of this action?? I realize (hope) that he wasn't the state trooper.

That kind of action was about his least favorite thing to do. He said the only positive thing about having to work these cases was that the chance of someone trying to shoot you was just about zero.

Archived