Wilson v. Cook County (Semi-Auto Gun Ban)

Tvandermyde

If the rest of the state doesn't have such a ban, what is so special about Crook County? It's time that tyranny becomes a victim of oppression, not the people.

Crook County *thinks* they are special and do not have to follow the US Constitution. Most cities in Illinois have home rule. Home rule may be OK for deciding who is the dog catcher or what company collects the garbage. Firearms laws need to be the same statewide!

WE are getting word that the Illinois Supreme Court will annouce if it will take up the challange to the Cook County semi-auto ban next week.

Stay tuned and we'll see where this goes.

Thanks for the heads up on this Todd, should be very interesting to see how it turns out.

Ish...

You stay away from the court room - :tongue:

If the rest of the state doesn't have such a ban, what is so special about Crook County? It's time that tyranny becomes a victim of oppression, not the people.

Crook County *thinks* they are special and do not have to follow the US Constitution. Most cities in Illinois have home rule. Home rule may be OK for deciding who is the dog catcher or what company collects the garbage. Firearms laws need to be the same statewide!

Actually I think there are a lot more cities who don't have home rule. Though approximately 70% of the people live in home rule communities only about 167 cities are home rule. I agree firearms laws need to be the same statewide, better yet weapons laws, then we wouldn't have the silliness like Loves Park's ordinance banning knives over 1 1/2" long. Also there wouldn't be the possibility of 167 different firearm transportation ordinances.

WE are getting word that the Illinois Supreme Court will annouce if it will take up the challange to the Cook County semi-auto ban next week.

Stay tuned and we'll see where this goes.

Thanks for the heads up on this Todd, should be very interesting to see how it turns out.

Ish...

You stay away from the court room - :tongue:

Roger that GW, especially since I'm going into permanent stand down status at 1800 on the 29th of Sept. :yes:

What if the courts dont hear it? That would be a mess.

Sounds like the IL Supreme Court is going to hear the case.

Which Constitution will the Illinois Supreme Court like better? The one that says "Subject only the the police power..." or the one that says "... shall not be infringed." ?

What's the over-under on this case?

I apologize for asking such a rudimentary question, but I am only recently getting up to speed on political issues and want to make sure I understand it (especially since I am a Cook County resident).

The semi-auto ban you're referring to is that on "assault" style rifles, correct? I'm definitely aware of this one, but just want to be sure there's no others I didn't know about (especially seeing as I own a number of semi-automatics).

Thanks,

it covers more than so called assault weapons.

My 11-87 is banned. So are most of my 10/22s.

Jack that is the case.

Thanks to home rule (eek, hard to even type that) my 10/22 is perfectly legal in Chicago (with 10rd mags). I don't recall now what Chicago has to say about thumb-hole stocks...

I apologize for asking such a rudimentary question, but I am only recently getting up to speed on political issues and want to make sure I understand it (especially since I am a Cook County resident).

The semi-auto ban you're referring to is that on "assault" style rifles, correct? I'm definitely aware of this one, but just want to be sure there's no others I didn't know about (especially seeing as I own a number of semi-automatics).

Thanks,

It is not a blanket ban of all semi-auto firearms (although even that was tried recently on a non-binding ballot measure, and was defeated by Sigma and Todd, among others). It is a ban on certain semi-auto firearms that have "evil" "scary" features. It basically picks several somewhat-common features, and arbitrarily bans all firearms that possess them.

we're back inthe game.....

"In the exercise of this Court's supervisory authority, the Appellate Court, First District, is directed to vacate its Order in Wilson v. Cook County . . . and reconsider the matter in light of McDonald v. City of Chicago [citation] to determine if another result is warranted."

we're back inthe game.....

"In the exercise of this Court's supervisory authority, the Appellate Court, First District, is directed to vacate its Order in Wilson v. Cook County . . . and reconsider the matter in light of McDonald v. City of Chicago [citation] to determine if another result is warranted."

So, the Supreme is telling the Appellate court to dump the first decision, and consider the McDonald case when reaching another decision. Will they simply go back and consider all the evidence and testimony already given? Or will there be another court date with additional testimony and court room action?

Any wild guess on the time frame for the second decision? A month, a year, this decade?

At first blush, it appears that the Supreme is telling the Appellate that it messed up and giving it a chance to make it right without having to have the Supreme officially overturn the decison. More "politics" in our judicial system?

AB

Archived