EOTech Refund?

BrandonPruitt

I know this is old news by now - but I've been contemplating sending in my EOTech for a refund or replacement. Since I've never had an issue with mine (EXPS 3.0) I just haven't gotten around to actually mailing it in. I'm curious, from what you guys have experienced, is the thermal drift really an issue for anyone that's not killing Jihadis in the Desert or protecting us from ... whatever ... in the Antarctic?

I'd hate to miss the boat on the replacement and then find out a year down the road that my optic finally has issues. But I also don't want to send it in and wait 6 months either. I'd like to have my cake & eat it too ;)

What are your thoughts on the situation?

I shared your concerns but I sent mine in and haven't looked back. I went with a MRO as a replacement and like it a lot. I also did not want to get stuck with it breaking when they stop the voluntary recall and I have family members that use them "for real" and it upsets me that the company had a problem and tried to cover it up.

I sent mine in because I had it turned off and the battery went dead. People don't realize all red dot optics suffer from thermal drift to some degree. These sights are cqb sights so even with thermal drift, you should be able to hit your target.

*minute of bad guy ;)

First, that company lied and put our boys and girls in jeopardy. F THEM. Send it back on principal.

Second, how hot does your car get on a summer day? Hotter than the desert? So, putting your rifle in desert temperature is achievable.

Yes. After posting this question last night, I spent a lot of time reading what others had decided in other forums and blogs - and this is ultimately my conclusion as well. Principle over performance is the answer to this situation, for my cup of coffee.

My Eotech , 512 less than 1yr old, which I bought brand new

Had problems holding zero

All shooting and zeroing were at, modern indoor range, average temp low 70 with normal humidity.

I would zero at the range then shoot 100 plus rounds then next range trip zero would be off several inches

At first I thought maybe I did something but after multiple trips the same exact problem repeating it's self I knew it was the sight

I'd trust my life on Primary Arms red dot over Eo any day

I also own a couple Aimpoint pros and several PA's all hold zero perfectly.

Ya there not a lot of 1 mil dot sight's out there but I'm just fine with 2 mil dot which there are lot's of these on the market

I received my refund in around 8 weeks, full retail value without receipt...

I had lots of problems with multiple EOtech sights - significant shift in POI, suddenly turning off (new battery, just turned on, in between strings of fire). I returned several, got a full refund on all of them, replaced them all with Aimpoint T2's. MRO's look nice as well.

they knowingly sold sights with flaws. When discovered, they did a full refund to anyone who wanted one - no questions asked.

What did you use to determine "full retail" value? Did you use MSRP? Price at your LGS? Big Box Retailer? Online?

Has anyone heard of a refund being denied? Or substituting with a lower value?

when I sent in the form for return I didn't put any price. They contacted me back asking me how much I wanted. I suggested MSRP for each. I got the approval within minutes.

Funny, it seems no one mentioned these shifts until just recently.

My problems all occurred well before the public admission of the problem. Several instructors - from several locations - all told me "get rid of the EOtechs and get Aimpoints". So I started replacing EOtechs with Aimpoints, sticking the EOtecs on a shelf. I had, at one point thought about selling them online, hoping to get ~50% of my money back. When the refund opportunity came around, I jumped on it like a fat kid on a ice cream cone.

Lots of people like their EOtechs, even still saying they don't have any problems. good for them. Mine were hit or miss - with no real confidence on what was going to work or when. I don't depend on my ARs for my life so it's not hyper-critical for me, but it was not cool to have paid for something that regularly crapped out. If someone else has better experience than I, cool by me.

I sent mine back and got my refund at the beginning of the year.

Originally I thought that the optic was fine, up until I checked out my shooting logs and noticed that I did experience drift.

During the summer a couple years ago, I zero'd the rifle at 50 yards off of a sled. I went back out to test some hand loads in the cold, on a day that was probably around the 20's. The loads I was testing were the same ones that I zero'd the optic with. I noticed that there was about a 2" drift but just figured that maybe the powder I was using was temp sensitive. So I zero'd it and then went back out the following summer to find that the same issue happened.

I still didn't really think much about it so I just kept on shooting up until I read that court documents, then put two and two together, but in all honesty, at 50 yards, minute of scumbag is all that is needed. The thing that concerned me the most were the reports of delamination. That's not something that you can forget about.

Combine that with the fact that they covered up the issues despite the fact that our troops were using their optics in the exact type of environment where those temps swings are commonplace, such as in Afghanistan. You could be at 100 degrees on base when you zero the optic, but then you do a patrol in the mountains and it's freezing. That's incredibly unethical of them to not warn the troops first and foremost, but also all of the various agencies using them. It's aggravating that we didn't know either, but how many of us would have to actually use it, barring a zombie apocalypse lol. They were even trying to be shysters and sell them to foreign militaries. I believe it was the Norwegians that sent them back and said that they were garbage.

I could've lived with the shift, but returned it on principal.

I had 3 of them. I had problems with 2 and including the drift on a January shoot. This gear is like my skydiving rig. I place my life on it and if I can't do that, I don't want it. So I got just under $1500 in refunds.

So that is going to fund some other acquisitions. And so far that is starting with 2 Vortex Strike Eagles and a Sparc AR. but one of the sig optics has got my attention after the NRA show

Archived