C C Insurance?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 X Ring

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:27 PM

Looking for info and recommendations on CC Insurances, kind of boiled it down to these two : USCCA and NRA Carry Guard. Any opinions on which one might be better than the other. I have looked at both on their respective websites, but could use some help making up my mind.

Thanks,

X-Ring

Life member: NRA, Aurora Sportsmans Club
Member: GOA and ISRA
Remember when the enemy is within range so are you! When in doubt empty the entire mag!

#2 Craigcelia

• 2,504 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:36 PM

I'm a USCCA fan myself. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Craig

NRA / ISRA Life Member

GOA Member
ICCL Classes Available

#3 papa

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:51 PM

Looking for info and recommendations on CC Insurances, kind of boiled it down to these two : USCCA and NRA Carry Guard. Any opinions on which one might be better than the other. I have looked at both on their respective websites, but could use some help making up my mind.

Thanks,

X-Ring

If I were going to buy a policy , I think I would go with the USCCA.  It just seems to me they have all their ducks in a row and are ready to help as soon as you make the call.

#4 BobPistol

• Members
  • 9,100 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:10 PM

With the insane LWW-ism gripping Illannoy government, I wonder how long will it take before we start seeing "not valid in Illinois" for the policies. 

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#5 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• 5,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:18 PM

I've been using CCWSafe for the last few years based on what my needs are and what I would stand to lose. I would be interested in some kind of realistic comparison spreadsheet that compared policies in case there is a better option for me. For example, if you own assests like a home vs. someone who rents, etc.
Have all boated who fish?

#6 Euler

• Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:23 PM

With the insane LWW-ism gripping Illannoy government, I wonder how long will it take before we start seeing "not valid in Illinois" for the policies.

NY has been bipolar about it already.

One effort tried to make carry insurance illegal, calling it "murder insurance." (I believe this is the position of most anti-2A groups across the nation at the moment.)

An earlier effort tried to make it mandatory for all gun owners, like auto insurance is mandatory for auto owners.

Neither effort was successful, but from prohibited to mandatory is quite a range.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#7 soundguy

• 6,215 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:03 PM

re CC Insurance "not valid in Illinois" or mandatory in some future scenario...

Illinois still has better self defense rules than many other states. Possibly some of the best.

Insurance of any kind is gambling. I don't have CCI. I would complain if it were required for CCL holders.

I'd like to see the spread sheet Fife wants to see. Just to know...

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#8 PPK

Innocent Bystander

• 1,617 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:56 PM

Thanks,

X-Ring

They both have BBB A+ ratings. I went with USCCA. I hope I never need it but they do have a nice magazine.

It's a wonderful day in the hood...

#9 ilphil

Ornery Skeptic

• Members
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:06 PM

I have USCCA.
At my age I value piece of mind.

Edited by ilphil, 11 April 2019 - 08:06 PM.

#10 RandyP

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:14 PM

+1 for CCW Safe. My son and I both joined and feel better for it.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

#11 InterestedBystander

• 6,598 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:33 PM

This has been a popular topic in the past although not in the last few months and a search will find many of those threads archived.

It is going to come down to your decision based on a number of factors important to you. As mentioned these are archived so some of the companies may have made some changes in response as competition tweaked their offerings but it may give you additional things to consider. Hope this helps.

CCW Safe vs USCCA
http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=67752

Deciding on Concealed Carry Insurance
http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=66926

CCL Insurance
http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=65979

CCW Insurance
http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=59981

SelfDefense Insurance
http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=56210
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#12 InterestedBystander

• 6,598 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:53 PM

BTW, Did the NRA get its issues resolved with some of its underwriters and administrators? I remember some stories published last year I think about Chubb and Lockton, perhaps under outside pressure, choosing not to renew contracts as underwriter, broker and administrators.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#13 Weed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:22 PM

I went with USCCA shortly after I received my CCL and thought it was the best for the money.

#14 cnwfan3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:23 PM

I have had CCW safe for a few years.

#15 X Ring

• 542 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:31 PM

Guys thanks for the responds, greatly appreciated. I did look for the old threads about this but couldn't find them. So thanks for the links InterestedBystander.

Life member: NRA, Aurora Sportsmans Club
Member: GOA and ISRA
Remember when the enemy is within range so are you! When in doubt empty the entire mag!

#16 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 3,935 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:39 PM

I have CCWSafe and will be upgrading to a policy with civil suit coverage with them. However, the one thing I don't like about them is that they don't cover DGUs in a CMHCFZ (Criminal Murder of Helpless Citizens Facilitation Zone), so I'm going to also be getting a USCCA policy, which does cover in those, so I will be protected in any eventuality.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Who gets to keep and read books? The Media? Or is it the People?

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

InX89li.jpg

#17 bmyers

• 4,094 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:16 AM

Another vote for USCCA, covers my wife and I. Plus if my daughter is at home and has to defend herself, it covers her.

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA

ISRA Member

#18 WitchDoctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:48 AM

I went with USCCA. There is a lot to lose.

IC Sponsor

ISRA Member

Proud Parent to a Wonderful Kid...

Tired of Chicago B.S.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

#19 thepointbeing

• 28 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:15 AM

Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network http://armedcitizensnetwork.org.

Excellent value, good people, no marketing hype. Strong emphasis on proper education, training, and legal understanding. Advisory Board includes Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, and Dennis Tueller. After considerable research on the various SD plans, Hickok45 opted to join ACLDN.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor | NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Fraternal Order of Police Firearms Expert Witness

Member: NRA, ISRA, Second Amendment Foundation, Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network, IllinoisCarry.com

#20 vern

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:20 PM

USCCA here

#21 PPK

Innocent Bystander

• 1,617 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:44 PM

Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network http://armedcitizensnetwork.org.

Excellent value, good people, no marketing hype. Strong emphasis on proper education, training, and legal understanding. Advisory Board includes Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, and Dennis Tueller. After considerable research on the various SD plans, Hickok45 opted to join ACLDN.

11 years in business with 0 complaints and an A+ rating. Can't go wrong there, either.  Better Business Bureau link

Edited by PPK, 12 April 2019 - 07:44 PM.

It's a wonderful day in the hood...

#22 BigBL87

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:24 PM

I went with CCW Safe myself.

#23 howie

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:43 AM

USCCA for the wife and I.

NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle/PPITH Instructor
ISP Approved CCW Instructor

www.boondocktactical.com

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

"I am not well versed in history, but I will submit to your recollection, whether liberty has been destroyed most often by the licentiousness of the people, or by the tyranny of rulers. I imagine, sir, you will find the balance on the side of tyranny."- Patrick Henry

#24 chancemccall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:33 PM

Thanks,

X-Ring

Lots of folks with lots of opinions. Having spent weeks off and on researching this issue for myself my choice was the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. It would take a spreadsheet to make a fair comparison, but here is just one clue: They are the only source I've found that will pay out bail in Illinois because Illinois does not have bail bondsmen. That includes all the other plans recommended here so far.

There are tons of questions that should be asked as many of these plans that seem good are terrible under certain circumstances. The NRA plan is one of the worst. You need it, but be careful what you end up with.

Edited by chancemccall, 13 April 2019 - 04:34 PM.

Life Member - NRA

Life Member - SAF

Life Member - GSL

Life Member - ISRA

Charter Member - CMSA

Life Member - SASS

LEOSA carrier

#25 chancemccall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:39 PM

Here's a thought:

I would be willing to contribute to a fund to pay an attorney experienced in Insurance Law to read all of the agreements offered by the various companies and offer information and opinions on what these companies are actually obligating themselves to deliver. I would also support the attorney submitting questions to these companies for clarification and specific written obligations.

For example:

If I, as a paying member, am arrested, will you advance, within your limits, cash bail and how quickly? At least one of the programs does not advance bail but reimburses for it. Several seem to offer themselves the out of investigating for themselves the likelihood of conviction, and perhaps declining to extend bail. Who defines that? How long do these investigations take? None of these plans define their performance on bail very clearly.

At least one of the plans requires the member to reimburse them any advanced funds if the member is convicted of a crime. So, if the member beats the murder charge but pleads to discharging a firearm inside city limits, are they obligated to return any advanced funds?

I, at least, have many questions I would like to see answered. Again, if a state organization would be willing to hire a competent attorney to undertake such work, I certainly would be willing to contribute to a special fund to pay for this work.  Would you?

Life Member - NRA

Life Member - SAF

Life Member - GSL

Life Member - ISRA

Charter Member - CMSA

Life Member - SASS

LEOSA carrier

#26 chevsuz12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:06 AM

I recommend CCW Safe.  Over the years I have had USCCA, and Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund, then after comparing and learning as much as possible about each policy I chose CCW Safe.  

If you wish to learn more about CCW Safe and learn a lot of fantastic information on the right to carry and the legalities of doing so,  they provide an excellent podcast called "CCW Safe Podcast by Mike Darter".   What they provide is not just Concealed Carry Insurance, but I would refer to their coverage as Self-Defense Insurance, as it provides coverage for all types of self defense, and not just that which involves a firearm.  The founders of the company are former law enforcement, who wanted to provide the same type of coverage to civilians and retired LEO's as what is provided to current LEO's.

ISP Certified Firearm Concealed Carry License Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor Basic Pistol, PPITH
Utah BCI Certified CCW Instructor

#27 junglebob

• 6,089 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:23 AM

I recommend CCW Safe.  Over the years I have had USCCA, and Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund, then after comparing and learning as much as possible about each policy I chose CCW Safe.  

If you wish to learn more about CCW Safe and learn a lot of fantastic information on the right to carry and the legalities of doing so,  they provide an excellent podcast called "CCW Safe Podcast by Mike Darter".   What they provide is not just Concealed Carry Insurance, but I would refer to their coverage as Self-Defense Insurance, as it provides coverage for all types of self defense, and not just that which involves a firearm.  The founders of the company are former law enforcement, who wanted to provide the same type of coverage to civilians and retired LEO's as what is provided to current LEO's.

I recall reading somewhere that CCW safe had gone to court to defend someone.  Could they be the only one?

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrong doers should dominate just men.  -  Augustine

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#28 Euler

• Members
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:48 PM

Chart of Self-Defense Gun Owner Insurance Programs Compared at www.concealedcarry.com. They keep it updated. The last update was last month.

Features of plans have changed over the years. If any program had something really negative that kept people from choosing it, it usually got changed. For example, a few years ago, reimbursement for criminal legal fees was a big difference among plans. Now only the NRA plan reimburses after the verdict. The others pay up-front. As another example, a few years ago, several plans didn't cover civil legal fees. (Even if the state law says you can't be sued for a justified use of lethal force, you will be sued, anyway.) Now they all do, although they don't all cover the damages if the judgment goes against you.

At one point a couple years ago, the NRA plan announced it wouldn't cover people who used a 1911 or a revolver. (Why not 1911s I sort of get. Earlier models had free-floating firing pins. I don't get why not revolvers.) After much uproar, they decided to reverse that policy. The NRA plan is still one of a few that doesn't cover non-firearm defenses. If you think you might use a knife, a baseball bat, or a large can of tuna in self-defense, you're on your own with the NRA plan.

BTW if the defendant is found guilty of criminal charges, none of them cover civil charges, and they all want their money back for the criminal charges. Anti-2As recently like to call carry insurance "murder insurance," but none of the programs are in the business of subsidizing murder, attempted robbery, illegal discharge within city limits, or whatever other crime.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#29 InterestedBystander

• 6,598 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the chart. Ive been planning on researching but didnt realize yearly costs were that much on some of the plans.
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#30 chevsuz12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:06 PM

I recall reading somewhere that CCW safe had gone to court to defend someone.  Could they be the only one?

Yes, they successfully defended Stephen Maddox in a Murder 1 Trial.

ISP Certified Firearm Concealed Carry License Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor Basic Pistol, PPITH
Utah BCI Certified CCW Instructor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users