FIrearm Public Awareness Task Force 10/16/2019 - Help Needed

mauserme

The firearm task force hearing, scheduled for tomorrow at 12:00 PM, is being added to the ILGA streaming video schedule today.

We would like to have running commentary on the hearing. Normally I would be available for this, but my schedule will take me away from reliable internet access for most of the day. Anyone who can, please set some time aside tomorrow to help us better understand the direction the task force will take.

Can you get a link up when one becomes available? Schedule permitting I'll be on the stream, but my schedule is still TBD.

It should just be the normal ILGA House Audio/Video link in my signature. There's another hearing scheduled an hour before this one. There's a chance that will run over a bit.

I'm told no third party services (meaning BlueRoom) will have it.

Call to order.

Opening remarks - Kathleen Willis - this is a wonderful thing to do, we have partisan common goals, she is serious about "gun-violence". Calls for common sense.

Chicago legislator - Dist. 1 - missed the name - native born Chicago

Rep. Kalish - Dist. 16 Skokie - honored to be on task force - "gun violence" causes trauma on children, businesses

Email from an unnamed group - as you consider means to curb viiolence, remember that making it hard for law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms does nothing to stop violence. No new gun laws, disarming good people make the dangerous more dangerous. I will not vote for any legislator who votes to violate my rates.

LaShawn says he wants to make recommendations while protecting constitutional rights.

Nationally suicide - IL more homicide than suicide by firearm. Preventable deaths. 4-5,000 hospitalizations, deaths down due to medical advances.

70% 15 years old to 34 years old

Consequences of the trauma - physical, mental, emotion, fractured families, generations of children effected. Leads to long lasting emotional scars.

Normalizes violence

Need to look to prevention

Don't grow numb to violence - keeps using term 'gun violence'. Disproportionate harm in some ethnic communities.

Willis questions - much of the violence committed with illegal guns - so many gun laws on the books already.

what can we do to address this without burdening lawful gun owners?

Answer:

Police are taking illegal guns off the street

Police initiative for public outreach

Willis:

Revolving door for criminals with illegal guns back out on the street?

Answer:

Lot of work to do, long conversation needed. Developing solutions.

Rep. Davidsmeyer - talk about illegal guns but we can't affect other states, going after instate gun owners will not have impact on those guns. as a legal gun owner we have a lot to lose when the law comes after our guns.

We need to send the message - Not going to tolerate crime, not tolerate any crime with a firearm.

Answer:

We need to hit the street and know who is getting into this trouble and try to intervene

Archived