FCCL, FOID, and CCLRB Data - End of 2017

kwc

Drum roll, please...

We ended the year with 274,666 active Firearm Concealed Carry Licenses (FCCLs) and 2,244,050 active Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) cards. The Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB) had a backlog of 765 applications in the queue for review, almost 1/3 of the backlog reported in June 2017.

Based on the current FCCL issue rate, we should hit 300,000 active FCCLs by the middle of 2018.

The first attachment below was obtained via Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the Illinois State Police. In addition to the totals just mentioned, this document includes a table that captures the current cumulative totals for Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses (CCLs) issued to nonresidents and residents since the program began. Note that these totals represent the total number ever ISSUED, and are not adjusted for those that have since been revoked or cancelled. This table also includes totals for CCLs that have been denied, revoked, or are currently awaiting action from the Concealed Carry Licensing Review Board (CCLRB).

The second attachment contains a trend analysis based on prior FOIA requests. Raw/calculated data are in the table, followed by some graphs that paint a visual picture of where we've been and where we stand today.

Edit: Uploaded revised trend analysis to correct current number of non-resident licenses (47, not 51).

FOIA - CCL FOID CCLRB - 1 Jan 2018.pdf

CCL, FOID, and CCLRB Trend Analysis - End of 2017.pdf

This pretty much blows all of the "academic" projections out of the water with how much and how quickly the "leveling off point" of concealed carry licenses for Illinois was supposed to reach. I had access to several studies that back a couple of years ago predicted reaching 250,000 in 5 years after being legalized, and leveling off somewhere between there and 300K due to financial, social, and mortality reasons. As this stands, it's about a year ahead of schedule and if it tops 300,000 by June, and maybe 325,000 by the end of this year, it will have surpassed that by a significant amount.

Wonderful news!

Backlog reduced by half in just two months.

Is this due to less applicants or better processing by ISP?

I attribute this almost exclusively to the CCLRB’s exceptional effort over the past few months. Look at the attachment in Post #2 of this thread and you’ll note how they’ve really stepped up the number of objections they review each month:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=62673&p=1027324

Odd that the 3 New Mexico permits issued were revoked.

A change in standards?

Currently, the only states considered to be substantially similar are Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas and Virginia. Prior issued permits were revoked when those states changed iirc.

Yes, that’s exactly what happened. Licenses were revoked back in Feb 2017 for all CCL holders residing in states no longer deemed “worthy”: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64716&p=1070854

What i am curious about is the number of applicants who were sent to the review board, with a finger print submission.

This pretty much blows all of the "academic" projections out of the water with how much and how quickly the "leveling off point" of concealed carry licenses for Illinois was supposed to reach. I had access to several studies that back a couple of years ago predicted reaching 250,000 in 5 years after being legalized, and leveling off somewhere between there and 300K due to financial, social, and mortality reasons. As this stands, it's about a year ahead of schedule and if it tops 300,000 by June, and maybe 325,000 by the end of this year, it will have surpassed that by a significant amount.

Wonderful news!

My original prediction was 3% of population based upon statistics i could find from other states.

Wonderful news!

My original prediction was 3% of population based upon statistics i could find from other states.

Illinois was pegged at about 2 percent of the population rather than 3 percent, because of the high cost and the various social and legal impediments to many people getting their CCL. We've exceeded that by a decent bit already, and with the current trending in applicants and approvals, 3 percent is definitely not out of the question.

I can't find a reliable # for adults 21 years or older (21 being the eligible age to obtain a CCL). Based on census population estimates (2016) defining adults as 18 and older, and the number reported in the first post, CCL holders represent ~2.78% of the adult (>18 yo) population. Actual % of eligible adults would be a little higher.

IL CCL holders currently represent 2.15 % of the total population.

Archived