looking for replacement sights for a glock. Any suggestions?

Chicago312

I usually use Glock OEM nightsights. They are inexpensive and offer a decent, consistent sight picture. I hear you can send your slide back to Glock and they will install them for about $65? the price may have changed.

I recently bought a Gen 5 Glock 19, and it came with the AmeriGlo Bold nightsights. The Glock OEM nightsights weren't available, this time. The orange front sight is easy for my aging eyes to pick up a little more quickly.

Trijicon nightsights are always a good choice. The Trijicon HD nightsights seem to be pretty decent, based on feedback from friends I trust.

To be honest, I have use TruGlo TFO sights before, and I really like the sight picture, bright dots day or night. My only complaint was that the fiberoptic elements were a little fragile and ended up breaking or coming loose. The new TruGlo TFX nightsights seem to be built better and protect the fiberoptic rods much better.

DId you notice the only sights I recommended are NIGHTsights? There's a reason for that. Unless this is a competition gun only used on the range and never for self-defence, I wouldn't consider anything else. You may never need your gun in low light, but when you do, you REALLY need your gun. Unless you are close enough to smell what your assailant ate for lunch, you should at least be able to find your front sight and point it in the general direction of the bad guy before squeezing the trigger. Nightsights are well worth the extra money.

-- Frank

I agree with Frank wholeheartedly. His experience seems to parallel mine to th some degree. My aging eyes can no longer pickup the factory installed night sites on my g19. I have put Trijicon HD's on all my sigs and they are great, but at night you still get the traditional three dot system with that front dot getting smaller with every passing year. Do your research and you should find something that fits your needs, but do your research...

I just put XS Big Dot sights on my G19 and so far so good :cool:

I've seen those! The front sight looks HUGE on those, but the V-shaped rear sight gives me fits. I'm so used to the traditional post and notch sights that it would take quite a while for me to get used to those. A new shooter would probably take to them like a duck to water, but I am afraid I have too much previous experience that I would have to "untrain" myself before I could use that sight picture confidently.

They are certainly worth a look for anyone.

-- Frank

I use these on all of my Glocks, and they are pinpoint accurate and as durable as a tank:

Meprolight Glock Tru-Dot Night Sight fits G17,19,20,21,22,23. Adjustable set with green rear and front sight

Well worth the price, and this is the least expensive I've seen them.

None of mine have ever lost their sight-in once I set them, and I am fairly rough on them.

Well worth the price.

I just put XS Big Dot sights on my G19 and so far so good :cool:

I've seen those! The front sight looks HUGE on those, but the V-shaped rear sight gives me fits. I'm so used to the traditional post and notch sights that it would take quite a while for me to get used to those. A new shooter would probably take to them like a duck to water, but I am afraid I have too much previous experience that I would have to "untrain" myself before I could use that sight picture confidently.

They are certainly worth a look for anyone.

-- Frank

I have been shooting my whole life on traditional 3 dots etc and I took right to them just fine. The big V is really hardly noticable(I think its there to subconsciously draw your eye to the front dot) and I find myself focusing more on the alignment of the vertical line of the rear sight if I am going for precision. The biggest benefit of the V is that you are not goofing around waiting for the front sight to peek out from behind the rear sights into its U notch. The XS are basically an adaptation of "Express Sights" that were used for many decades on African big game rhino/elephant rifles. To me they are the closest thing to a red-dot without having glass&batteries.

Both of my Glocks have the Ameriglo Pro i dot sights. What's nice about them is that you have a solid front tritium insert, with the outside circle painted a fluorescent color for daytime use. The rear sight has a small tritium insert in the very center of the dovetail. The idea is that you put the front sight into the rear notch, and both dots line up with the front on top of the rear.

On my XDS I went with the Hackathorn with the front tritium insert, and the blacked out rear sight. My competition guns have blacked out rear sights, so I figured I'd try the same with my carry gun.

Both sights are great and you wouldn't be disappointed with either.

I've had good luck with the Ameriglo Pro I Dot sights as well. (Yellow front version on a G19.) I have Big Dot sights on an XDs and don't have any real problems with them though I find lining up the shallow rear V for longer distance accuracy to be a bit slower than with the I Dots. They're about the same in low light. Overall, I prefer the I Dots.

I've had good luck with the Ameriglo Pro I Dot sights as well. (Yellow front version on a G19.) I have Big Dot sights on an XDs and don't have any real problems with them though I find lining up the shallow rear V for longer distance accuracy to be a bit slower than with the I Dots. They're about the same in low light. Overall, I prefer the I Dots.

I second the Ameriglo I-Dot Pros, especially if you're cross eye dominate. Maybe it's just how my head works, but being right handed and left eye dominant its easier for me to pick up on the front sight quicker. Just my .2

Archived