New IL GFZ Signs: Compliant?

sirflyguy

We are really doing this 5 plus years later?

I thought he was kidding

And the hand drawn picture was a sign it isnt real

This whole sign legal or not thing has been beaten to death

Lighten up, dude.

Not everyone who carries is a member here, or were years ago when we had this discussion.

New people are carrying every day, and if they have questions, they should receive answers.

If you feel it's beating a dead horse, you're welcome to not participate.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sorry

I assumed the guy who posted (OP) with over 2700 posts and a member since 09 would know!

But I get it, hes new to carry and hasnt been here.

No beating a horse then, just carry on.........

It was a simple question from a student regarding a sign I haven't seen, and I pay a lot of attention. I have actually done a lot of extra work regarding the legal side of things, even taking Andrew Branca's Law of Self Defense course. I probably spent 40 hours total on that class between doing the work and taking notes and reading over notes. I also aced the test. I even took his Illinois concealed carry supplement course. Next to Massad Ayoob, Andrew is THE guy for self-defense law, and Massad wrote the forward for Andrew's book. My students have greatly benefitted from the added information because of this work.

Judging by at least one of the answers I have seen here, there IS a difference in how some SA's interpret the signage section. Since there is little to no case law regarding this whole FCCA thing (and without case law or jury instructions, we really know little about how a law will be interpreted in the courts after being enacted), I won't apologize for asking about something I haven't seen. I thought maybe I might find someone here who had dealt with it. That I have a student who was astute enough to notice the difference in signs is quite rewarding for me. When we get to the point that we think we know it all and refuse to ask questions, or when we berate someone for asking a question, we are entering a dangerous area, kind of like how the signage of a suspected GFZ zones shows we are now entering a dangerous place. I protect myself with firearms, and I protect myself with knowledge. That will not change, whether or not someone wants to clown around and belittle the question asked to make themselves feel superior.

One must ask the question, "Am I helping promote the pre-existing freedoms as written in the 2nd Amendment, or am I using my keyboard to squelch it by trying to belittle people for inquiring?" Personally, I don't care one iota what some random internet clown says about me, but what about those teetering on the edge of trying to figure this firearm/concealed carry/self-defense thing out? I will personally err on the side of helping bring them over to the side of freedom and self-defense.

As a note relating to my student: he said he guessed he wouldn't be spending any money with that theater anymore. As an instructor, I think I did my job well. He remembered enough from class last summer to ask a question, and he used the information to make an intelligent decision regarding all the facts as we knew them. That is success in my book.

Yes, I have been here at IC a while. I used to visit every day. The lead up to getting cc, then the implementation of it, was an exciting and tumultuous time. I have learned a lot here. The owner of the site is a personal friend of mine. I have sent that person many questions during these years, and she has never failed to answer any of them with detail and humility. A class act, that lady. We would all do well to be like her in our communications here. As for those who lack such grace, all we can do is hope they learn how to be as she is. Contests of urination are a waste of time.

Archived