IL Student Safety and Protection Resolution

Molly B.

We have been contacted by several school boards who know how quickly lives can be lost while waiting for law enforcement teams to arrive on scene of a school attack. An average of 8 students/staff is wounded every minute an attack goes unchallenged.They are concerned about how they can best protect their students – within the framework of the law – in the event of an active killer coming into the school.

a. Some schools can afford private armed security – larger cities.
b. Some take advantage of the grants for school resource officer but that is usually only one officer, usually part time, on campus at any given time. These grants have become very difficult, if not impossible, to get.
d. The biggest concern for many schools, they are located in areas where it might take 30-40 minutes before an effective law enforcement team can arrive on scene – depending on where County and State police are at the time of the call.

The school boards contacting us are interested in returning control back to the local schools boards so that each school board can decide how best to protect their students and personnel until an effective law enforcement team can get to them.
a. They know there are school personnel who have successfully passed all the background checks and training for a concealed carry license, some of them are even former police officers or former military service members. They lawfully and responsibly carry in their everyday life. With additional training in active-killer-response, they want to allow these individuals to continue to do, while on school property, what they are already safely and responsibly doing throughout the rest of their day.
b. In the states surrounding IL – Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky, and in many other states – state law provides for local control by school boards to approve TRAINED and armed staff – specifically trained in responding to life-threatening events - being a part of their Student Safety and Protection Plans.

For the school boards wanting to return control back to the local school boards, we believe the support of the IL Assoc. of School Boards (IASB) will be needed - To gain the Assoc.’s support we need you to present the Student Safety and Protection Resolution to your local school boards asking them to approve and submit the resolution to the IASB resolution committee before the June 2018 deadline for consideration at the 2018 annual fall meeting.

We are also asking the school boards to send a copy of the resolution to their state senator and state representative in the Illinois General Assembly.
Step #1 – Check here to see if your school board is a member of the IASB.* Contact your local school board and ask to be put on the agenda at the next board meeting. This is usually done during the public comment section of the meeting and only 5 minutes to present – be prepared to speak fast and have copies to hand out.
Step #2 – The board will not take action at the first meeting, be prepared to follow up at the next meeting.
Step #3 – If your school board passes the resolution, be sure to follow-up in May to make sure they submit the resolution to the IASB Resolution Committee before the June deadline.

*If your school board is not a member of the IASB, use the non-IASB resolution

Student Safety & Protection Resolution 2018.pdf

Student Safety & Protection Resolution 2018 non-iasb.pdf

Presentation Notes for Resolution 2018.pdf

I'll offer a suggestion.

Several years back Mississippi enacted an "enhanced" endorsement to their concealed carry licenses, to address issues like this. In exchange for additional practical training and qualification, they are allowed to carry essentially anywhere that police officers can, with only a few secured facilities (like jails) remaining off-limits. North Carolina has considered such a system and I think a couple other states also. AFAIK there have been no problems at all with this system which has been in place since 2011, so it's not an untried concept.

I'd consider something like that as what to pursue in this discussion. It's not just schools that could benefit from such a system, I know the attention is on schools right now but why not have a little foresight and try to head off a future problem? There's already been a mass shooting at a sporting event, the congressional baseball game. And a mass shooting at a large public event (although in that specific case, carry wouldn't have helped). And truck attacks at parades. How long until some madman decides to target a location that people can't escape from like a train? All of those locations are no-carry zones in Illinois under the current license restrictions.

My suggestion would be simple. A training course in active shooter response, and a practical shooting test which could be copied from the State Police off-duty shooting qualification. And give IROCC retirees the same.

This should be something put forward now, while the impetus is to do something.

Putting even more mental health disqualifiers in place will do nothing, if obviously disturbed and dangerous people like the latest dingbat never get put in to the mental health system.

There already has been a mass school shooting stopped by private citizens with firearms.

There has already been a mass church shooting stopped by a private citizen with a firearm.

There has already been a mass shopping mall shooting stopped by a citizen with a firearm... I think that one was an off-duty officer.

I'm creating a Facebook Page for this. https://www.facebook.com/StudentSafetyProtectionResolutionIllinois

If you are going to be helping with this please let me know. I can make you a contributor to this page. I would like everyone who is helping be about to post about their progress, create events such as when they are speaking to the school boards, etc. We need public awareness so people can get behind this.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., March 6, 2018 at 04:58 AM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., March 6, 2018 at 04:58 AM - No reason given

If there are any graphic artist types out there that would be willing to create a coverpage and profile pic for the facebook page I would be a great help.

Is it possible to use the home page banner for the cover pic on the facebook page?

I think active shooter response training is a good idea, but it has to be well thought out.

For example, where I work, we have active shooter response drills which consist of everyone piling into storage closets and hiding. We also have the "no guns" sign on our front doors, so everyone is disarmed.

That's a good example of how to do it WRONG.

An effective shooter response drill will need to be more effective and not corral everyone into a room like lambs to a slaughter. Unfortunately, ineffective plans are what most HR departments come up with. They really need a professional to come on site and do an assessment.

Is it possible to use the home page banner for the cover pic on the facebook page?

The Illinois Carry home page banner? It might be better to have something a little more user friendly. Maybe something with teachers and kids in it.

You are quite right!

I'll offer a suggestion.

I'd consider something like that as what to pursue in this discussion. It's not just schools that could benefit from such a system, I know the attention is on schools right now but why not have a little foresight and try to head off a future problem? There's already been a mass shooting at a sporting event, the congressional baseball game. And a mass shooting at a large public event (although in that specific case, carry wouldn't have helped). And truck attacks at parades. How long until some madman decides to target a location that people can't escape from like a train? All of those locations are no-carry zones in Illinois under the current license restrictions.

I have seen this option available in Mississippi and it's definitely something we can consider. However, even with this option, we will need the support of school boards in order to have enhanced carry in schools.

If there are any graphic artist types out there that would be willing to create a coverpage and profile pic for the facebook page I would be a great help.

While I've got no personal experience in professional design, I've got 39 years in the printing industry as a pressman, and have a few connects. If you need anything printed the owner of the outfit where I've been employed for the last 19 years is one of us; CCL Republican. He'll do it for cost if I bring it in the shop. Toss out some ideas right here in the topic as far as graphics, no doubt others will have ideas.

Just signed up for this through the Illinois State Rifle Association:

Homeland Security Active Shooter Course

4/8/2018 - 8:00am- 5:00pm- Range Classroom

This class is to learn what to do if you are out and encounter an active shooter event.

Class is limited to 60 students.

Instructor: Jeff Gregorec

Open to the public $50.00 members $100.00 Non Members

Contact ISRA Office: 815-635-3198 M-W-F or ann@isra.org

This class is to learn what to do if you are out and encounter an active shooter event.

Would it be safe to assume that this will be held at the ISRA range in Bonfield.

Please post in this topic to report when your school board passes the resolution.

How does one find out if their school board has contacted you. I am pretty sure my school board would support this as I have discussed this with our board president and he is good with it.

You will need to contact the school board and present the resolution to them for consideration.

While I've got no personal experience in professional design, I've got 39 years in the printing industry as a pressman, and have a few connects. If you need anything printed the owner of the outfit where I've been employed for the last 19 years is one of us; CCL Republican. He'll do it for cost if I bring it in the shop. Toss out some ideas right here in the topic as far as graphics, no doubt others will have ideas.

If it's only black and white copies needed, I'd gladly print them for no charge just as I've done with Mark the Sign Guy for years in prep for IGOLD. Would only need the paper to be supplied as I am not a printer but have access to a Xerox copier.

I have been discussing the safety of students with our school board president for over two years now. I have been saying for those past two years that we need armed security protecting our kids and grandkids. This topic is finally coming to light and being discussed openly even in the media. The President of our country is even in support of these measures.

I am scheduled to present this resolution to my school board at their next meeting. I am very optimistic that it will be passed. NOW is the time for all of us that are concerned about the safety of our students to step up and help with this endeavor. If you are truly concerned with the safety of these kids, then we all need to help push to get this resolution passed and get the control of their safety back to the local school districts so they can decide what is in their best interest.

This resolution is a small step in the overall big picture but it is the FIRST step that needs to be taken.

I will let everyone know how my meeting turns out.

KING

Is there any more detail on this class? Is it just lecture or will there be shooting? The IRSA website says it requires a FOID, so I assume there is shooting but no real idea.

Is there any more detail on this class? Is it just lecture or will there be shooting? The IRSA website says it requires a FOID, so I assume there is shooting but no real idea.

I would like some more details as well. FEMA (Dept of Homeland Security) certifies Active Shooter course participants. Is this a FEMA certified course or something the instructor made up? What are the instructor`s qualifications and is this the same guy?

From Stars and Stripes Aug 2007:

"A Marine accused of selling military uniforms and equipment to a military surplus retailer was acquitted Thursday on all but three charges.

Military judge Maj. Charles Hale found Staff Sgt. Jeffery Gregorec not guilty of charges relating to an alleged black-market scheme, the heart of the government’s case against him.

Gregorec was found guilty of willful dereliction of duty and conduct unbecoming. In addition, Gregorec pleaded guilty to one charge of disobeying a lawful order.

In court, Hale found that Gregorec, 38, of the III Marine Expeditionary Force’s Special Operations Training Group, brought a group of Japanese nationals onto Camp Hansen and let them fire M-4 rifles on Range 16. The judge also found that the staff sergeant showed a photograph of male genitalia to a female worker at the surplus store."

Archived