Sun Times Op Ed Anti Gun Piece

InterestedBystander

full story at link...

https://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/editorial-thoughts-and-prayers-just-a-cop-out-stand-up-to-the-nra/

..."Instead, we would ask the congressmen to finally take even the smallest steps toward common-sense gun laws that would not violate anybodys intellectually honest defense of the Second Amendment.

What would be so radical, for example, even for a Second Amendment Republican, in going after weapons of mass murder now the way we went after weapons of Al Capone-style slaughter? We support and every congressman named here should support a call to regulate all military-style firearms, including semi-automatics, with a law similar to the successful 1934 National Firearms Act."...

...snip...

..."If we had it our way, Congress would simply revive the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004, tighten regulation on large-capacity magazines that minimize the need to reload, and outlaw kits like the bump stock the killer used in Las Vegas that make it easy to convert a semiautomatic weapon into an automatic weapon.

But lets start small. Lets see if our fearful Republican congressmen can wean themselves from the NRA even mildly. Lets revive a modest regulation that proved effective in the 1930s.

Locally, we strongly favor a bill coming up for a vote in the Illinois Legislature to require state licensing of gun shops. Federal oversight of gun shops is lazy and limited, but the state cant do much about that now, even in cases where a dealer is careless about letting guns get into criminals hands. The law would add surveillance requirements that would make it easier to catch gun thieves and to stop straw purchasers people who legally buy large numbers of guns and then sell them to criminals."...

The one missing part of this formula, what would this have done to stop this guy in Vegas? Without a bump stock, it's only slightly slower. This is just another person who doesn't want to say, "TAKE EM ALL," yet...

Exactly right. We need to keep asking the question...how would whatever proposal you've made have stopped this guy. Or any other mass shooter for that matter! Columbine. Sandy Hook. Fort Hood. Chattanooga. Charleston. San Bernardino. Colorado. Pulse. Take your pick! Force them to show you a law that would have prevented ANY mass shooting. They can't. I've been shutting down arguments all over the internet with this question. Don't stop asking it.

At the same time they blame the weak laws of surrounding states for easy access to firearms so more laws in Illinois will do what then?

ugh...last night they were talking about IL not the problem but just going to IN or WI and buy a gun...really? How does that work again? (and they werent talking shotguns and rifles)

Point out that murder was/is against the law in every state, it is also against the law to shoot anyone except, perhaps, in clear cases of self defense, in every state in the union. In almost every major metropolitan area it is against the law to even discharge a firearm.

Then ask the simple questions: WHY didn't these work in Las Vegas? WHY did they not stop what happened?

When they don't answer, ask them again, and again. Eventually they'll have to admit that making laws cannot prevent anything.

They (laws) can proscribe punishments for not obeying them but they cannot prevent anything.

Murder IS already illegal, and, in most cases, aggravated murder is subject to the death penalty. If that did not stop Las Vegas why do they think "doing something" and making yet another law will.

I read somewhere that there is something like 5 million owners of AR platform guns in the US. When the LV shooting occurred 4,999,999 owners didn't shoot anyone......

Making these points again: Cars kill more people in the US than guns do every year, by a wide margin. You are 10 times now likely to be killed by your doctor's mistake than by a gun. I've seen no politicians calling for bans of automobiles, doctors, cigarettes or alcohol. Anyone calling for the ban of guns but not saying anything about those other things is not primarily motivated by saving lives. There are things you can do that will save many more lives than banning guns would.

The one missing part of this formula, what would this have done to stop this guy in Vegas? Without a bump stock, it's only slightly slower. This is just another person who doesn't want to say, "TAKE EM ALL," yet...

Exactly right. We need to keep asking the question...how would whatever proposal you've made have stopped this guy. Or any other mass shooter for that matter! Columbine. Sandy Hook. Fort Hood. Chattanooga. Charleston. San Bernardino. Colorado. Pulse. Take your pick! Force them to show you a law that would have prevented ANY mass shooting. They can't. I've been shutting down arguments all over the internet with this question. Don't stop asking it.

Super Bingo, Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! .....................and "+1" for you millennials who don't even know what that means!

Making these points again: Cars kill more people in the US than guns do every year, by a wide margin. You are 10 times now likely to be killed by your doctor's mistake than by a gun. I've seen no politicians calling for bans of automobiles, doctors, cigarettes or alcohol. Anyone calling for the ban of guns but not saying anything about those other things is not primarily motivated by saving lives. There are things you can do that will save many more lives than banning guns would.

Abortion kills 1.4 million a year and is the #1 cause of death. But we'll never ban that! So the left don't care about saving lives.

Point out that murder was/is against the law in every state, it is also against the law to shoot anyone except, perhaps, in clear cases of self defense, in every state in the union. In almost every major metropolitan area it is against the law to even discharge a firearm. Then ask the simple questions: WHY didn't these work in Las Vegas? WHY did they not stop what happened? When they don't answer, ask them again, and again. Eventually they'll have to admit that making laws cannot prevent anything. They (laws) can proscribe punishments for not obeying them but they cannot prevent anything. Murder IS already illegal, and, in most cases, aggravated murder is subject to the death penalty. If that did not stop Las Vegas why do they think "doing something" and making yet another law will. I read somewhere that there is something like 5 million owners of AR platform guns in the US. When the LV shooting occurred 4,999,999 owners didn't shoot anyone......

Yeah, and Glock guy, its actually about 10-12 million by what I believe are the best estimates. So yeah, to your point, Tip, let's pass a law, let's DO something! It will solve all the issues! Pass more laws! The Criminals will obey them this time!

Super Bingo, Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! .....................and "+1" for you millennials who don't even know what that means!

This millennial knows...

Outstanding! Please keep posting here!

Ohhhh my, are we being dumbed down or what.

Wow, I was just responding to what you said, Patriot, and I was also answering something else earlier, but it all got tagged on you. So the comment

Ohhhh my, are we being dumbed down or what.

was NOT meant for you. It was just a general observation of where we're all at.

The typical rhetoric recently has boiled down to a handful of themes:

It isn't about laws to prevent mass murder, it is about access to guns.

It isn't about your personal right to self defense, it is about the greater good.

The constitution has to be amended- you are a child and the NRA is a drug dealer.

Unlike the circular system of checks and balances thru the branches of government ( and elections) the liberally preferred system is one of a vertical post where there is always someone above you that knows better and each person above the other on that post can see and here less of you. The live and let live types are the ones most affected by regulation since pressuring government goes against their nature.

No matter what someone tries to say to convince you they are like minded, if the phrase " but nobody needs that many guns..." is ever used, they are not.

The typical rhetoric recently has boiled down to a handful of themes:

It isn't about laws to prevent mass murder, it is about access to guns.

It isn't about your personal right to self defense, it is about the greater good.

The constitution has to be amended- you are a child and the NRA is a drug dealer.

Unlike the circular system of checks and balances thru the branches of government ( and elections) the liberally preferred system is one of a vertical post where there is always someone above you that knows better and each person above the other on that post can see and here less of you. The live and let live types are the ones most affected by regulation since pressuring government goes against their nature.

No matter what someone tries to say to convince you they are like minded, if the phrase " but nobody needs that many guns..." is ever used, they are not.

Nobody needs that much money.

Nobody needs that [ insert usurpation here ]!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Among people I call friends are some who are liberal progressive. The question of gun control has come up in the past. My response has always been 'how can you sit there and tell me you are anti-gun when you support abortion'? That will usually put them on their heels. Another thing is when I bring up the lack of enforcement of the existing laws and on and on. No other amount of laws, ordinances etc. passed or signed would stop any other killer. This usually confuddles them beyond their over-educated brains.

The AR-15 and the bump fire stock are not weapons of war and have not been used in any war, that's just propaganda. They are made for civilians for self defense and recreation and save lives every day but that's inconvenient to your agenda to report. Why you don't ask to ban trucks when they go through crowds.

Criminals don't care about the laws and the high cost and don't register guns. Shootings in the 1930's didn't stop because tommy guns were made illegal because criminals still had them.

The laws you are proposing are not gonna bring back Sonny and Rachel and the others but just advance your agenda and you don't let any opportunity go to waste.

The NRA are the greatest patriots and opposers of domestic enemies of the US Constitution and terroists and traitors. The NRA are the greatest defenders of the Constitution and people's rights together with the representatives you are trying to kowtow which are honorable and would not commit treason and sell out the Constitution and make a deal with the devil no matter how much you pressure them.

Would not violate anybody’s intellectually honest defense of the Second Amendment? It's clear that you are against the Constitution.

Fearful Republican congressmen? They are not fearful because they have the Constitution behind them. You are fearful for being part of a conspiracy to deprive people of their rights. Let's see if you and anti gun politicians can wean themselves from Bloomberg's money. How is the soda tax working out for the people. I thought sun times went bankrupt, who you think you are to impose your will on us.

Hold the line, call and complain to the NRA about their betrayal, and continue hammering those phone lines. We got this. There will be no gun control, this attempt will fail.

Archived