Please help! How to renew FOID and apply for new CCL

RyansRights247

How should I proceed?

I've heard all kinds of horror stories regarding renewals, delays, new applications interfering with renewals, etc.

My FOID is going to expire on Nov. 1, 2019. I just completed my classes for CCL, have my certificate, and would like to apply ASAP.

I'm afraid if I try to do both at the same time, my CCL application may cause my FOID renewal to pause, and then (due to current delays with new CCLs), I fear my FOID may expire, causing my CCL to be denied.

Should I try doing both at the same time? Or should I just renew my FOID, and wait until it's complete before applying for my CCL? (Which would obviously delay the entire process even further...)

Thanks

As I understand the processes FOID would be first;60 days on renewals, should be available for renewal on the web site, now 90 days before it expires. Must have valid FOID for CCL

then after you have submitted FOID, you can go ahead and submit your CCL application wait maybe or right away? not sure, it should take 90 days with prints or 120 days without prints AFTER FOID is active. Nothing will happen to your ccl application till the FOIL is done.

good luck

If you submit FOID renewal before old card expires, your card remains active.

(B) Renewal applications shall be approved or denied within 60 business days, provided the applicant submitted his or her renewal application prior to the expiration of his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card. If a renewal application has been submitted prior to the expiration date of the applicant's Firearm Owner's Identification Card, the Firearm Owner's Identification Card shall remain valid while the Department processes the application, unless the person is subject to or becomes subject to revocation under this Act. The cost for a renewal application shall be $10 which shall be deposited into the State Police Firearm Services Fund.

(Source: P.A. 100-906, eff. 1-1-19.)

So, if I submit my FOID renewal today (it expires Nov. 1), can I also submit my CCL application today? (Or do I need to wait until the FOID renewal is complete before applying for my CCL?)

I guess my concern is that my CCL application will cause my FOID renewal to be put on hold, and potentially expire during the CCL approval process...

Thanks again

As long as your name, address, and demographic info haven't changed, I wouldn't worry. If you need to update any info on your FOID, get that done before you apply for a CCL.

If there are changes, make sure the DL also matches and get done first. In theory since your FOID should remain active, it should not impact the CCL. And you wont be getting your CCL processed within 60 days anyway.

From experience: I renewed my FOID and it expired before I received my new one. My CCL was under review for an address change. A week after my FOID expiration date I had my sister in law who is a State Trooper run my info and both FOID and CCL showed "Valid."

Umm, family/friend law enforcement running info without an official reason.......

And the saga from within the ISP continues, remember If its your break time.....

From experience: I renewed my FOID and it expired before I received my new one. My CCL was under review for an address change. A week after my FOID expiration date I had my sister in law who is a State Trooper run my info and both FOID and CCL showed "Valid."

Umm, family/friend law enforcement running info without an official reason.......

And the saga from within the ISP continues, remember If its your break time.....

Not sure if that's a jab or what. Just trying to help and get help from wherever I can considering ISP in Springfield is of no help.

So, if I submit my FOID renewal today (it expires Nov. 1), can I also submit my CCL application today? (Or do I need to wait until the FOID renewal is complete before applying for my CCL?)

I guess my concern is that my CCL application will cause my FOID renewal to be put on hold, and potentially expire during the CCL approval process...

Thanks again

You should renew your FOID card first and then you should be able to submit your CCL application at any time. It should not interfere with your FOID renewal.

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the help everyone. So last Wednesday I decided to just get the FOID renewed and then apply for the CCL later. HOWEVER, when I clicked on the RENEW button for my FOID, it then gave me an option to also apply for the CCL at the same time. So that's exactly what I did.

If they were both completely separate processes I would've been more concerned, but since the state's system apparently has a built-in feature designed for taking care of both at the same time, I went ahead and proceeded.

I'll keep everyone posted on things, but as of right now, (less than a week later), both my FOID renewal and my CCL application both show "Under Review". Fingers crossed it all goes smooth...

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: So it'll be exactly 5 weeks tomorrow since I applied to renew my FOID and then applied to get my CCL.

Status for BOTH still shows: "Under Review"...

I'm getting a bit nervous since my FOID expires Nov. 1. (I submitted for renewal on Sept. 18)

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on any changes.

UPDATE: So it'll be exactly 5 weeks tomorrow since I applied to renew my FOID and then applied to get my CCL.

Status for BOTH still shows: "Under Review"...

I'm getting a bit nervous since my FOID expires Nov. 1. (I submitted for renewal on Sept. 18)

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on any changes.

60 business days allowed for FOID renewal. If card is active at the time you submit renewal, card stays active past the expire date while renewal is being processed.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Exactly 10 weeks today since I applied to renew my FOID and then applied to get my CCL.

Status for BOTH still shows: "Under Review"

Unfortunately my FOID expired on Nov. 1. (I submitted for renewal on Sept. 18). Not quite 60 "business days" yet. So I guess I just have to keep on waiting it out. I guess it's a good thing that it still says "Under Review", rather than any type of negative status, but it just sucks that I not only can't carry, but I can no longer go to the range, purchase ammo, purchase any new firearms, transport anything, etc, etc

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on any updates...

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: It's now been over 60 "business days" (62 to be exact), and my FOID renewal as well as my CCL application are still both showing "under review"...

I'm wondering if the CCL application process is holding up/overriding my FOID renewal? If that's the case, then I've probably got ANOTHER 60 days to wait, based on the "120 days" the website says for CCL apps...

Does anyone have any insight as to the process being different when applying for CCL at the same time as renewing your FOID?

(FYI - FOID renewal was submitted with CCL app on Sept. 18, and then the FOID expired on Nov. 1...)

I did see in earlier posts/threads that my FOID should still be valid, but unfortunately, without an actual (unexpired) card in my hand, I can't really do much right now.

I applied to renew my FOID over 6 weeks prior to the expiration date, but did so at the same time as my CCL application...

@Ryan

I typed a whole paragraph or two, deleted them and I'll say this; Sit tight, and do not transport guns or ammo. It's a fur-ball for sure, so keep you head down and wait.... brother. They will get there, but it may take some time... as long as it/they are under review, and not BOARD REVIEW, let it be.

I told you it was apt to be a cluster, but nothing, is amiss except their ability to get "it" done in a timely way.

Please don't skirt the profanity filters. Molly B.

JQ

Okay, I guess I am missing your point. It is true for either or, if you have had the permit and have renewed. As long as you have submitted your renewal, for either FOID, or CCL they are valid and active, but since the OP has never had a CCL, this is not the case.

If you are saying the the FOID is not valid while, "under review" (for renewal) you are wrong... either/or is still valid in IL if the renewal has been submitted before expiration.

Be careful with this... Il law has a caveat, which states you are still valid while under review. My major concern is that OTHER states may not reciprocate. In other words, great, you Il is expired, but IL is okay with that. I decide to go to X state and they do not honor an expred card even if the home state does. We know that once you cross a boarder, you carry under the law of the state your in... that being the case, it doesn't matter how Il treat expired permits. Be careful all of you who think it's okay to get free months waiting for the state to get your permit. If you travel to other states they may not honor an EXPIRED Il permit.... just saying....

JQ

We agree on validity of renewing while still active.

If you go to another state and they run your card it should come back as active even if the physical card shows expired. Nlets reports those to participating member states. Not sure why they would not honor that, although weve had reports of in state LE not being aware of the law so anything is possible.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE (1/10/2020)

As of today my FOID is finally showing as "Active" on the ISP website.

It's been over 16 weeks since I applied for my CCL, while renewing my FOID (at the same time).

The CCL application is still showing "Under Review", but at least (officially) activating my (renewed) FOID is progress...

Archived