NRA vs. New York

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:21 AM

It seems likely that there would be; but I can't find any updates on this case?

https://www.law.com/...=20180908121825

Has the judge ruled?

#2 Flynn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:29 PM

I doubt there is much movement because the courts are notoriously SLOW, but even the ACLU is on the NRA side in this case, since it revolves around 1st rights.

https://www.aclu.org...lu-amicus-brief

On another note, I simply can't see this not going the NRA's way in the end, if the NRA doesn't prevail, then the left is sure going to lose it when some states return the favor in regards to insurance companies and banks over things like say clinics and hospitals that perform abortions.

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#3 Ranger

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

Thinking and hoping it goes NRA's way.  It almost has to as it is so blatant.  What really intrigues me is whether the NRA will be able to get enough in punitive damages to dissuade other regimes from doing something similar.  Just an order to cease and desist won't do it.  There has to be some major repercussions to prevent copy cats and attempted work arounds. 

#4 Euler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:00 PM

Many landmark civil rights decisions of the 1950s and 1960s arose out of free speech controversies, and involved the government's attempted use of its arrest powers to silence controversial ideas.
Although public officials are free to express their opinions and may condemn viewpoints or groups they view as inimical to public welfare, they cannot abuse their regulatory authority to retaliate against disfavored advocacy organizations and to impose burdens on those organizations' ability to conduct lawful business.

Recall that the heart of the case is that banks and insurance agencies were threatened with losing their NY business licenses if they provided services to the NRA in NY. I think an important point could be made by removing the word "advocacy" from the ACLU's argument above. Wouldn't it be an abuse of regulatory power to deny any legal organization the ability to conduct legal business?
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#5 Ranger

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:11 PM

Seems like it to me.  Suspect it will get into discussion about proof and I think they may have to look at actions by the banks as the evidence (i.e. banks believed that a threat existed or they wouldn't have taken that action).  Probably get into 1st amendment discussion where NY claims just exercising 1st amendment rights to advocate on behalf of its citizens.  Will be interesting.  Could see this marching up the ladder of courts. 

Feel lot better with solid majority on SCOTUS now.  Hope that SCOTUS has good security.  There are some crazies out there that could try to take some out if Dems take Senate.

I sense that there might be something neat about icon of pie minus 3/7th; but can't figure it out.  Share a clue?

#6 Euler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:43 PM

I sense that there might be something neat about icon of pie minus 3/7th; but can't figure it out.  Share a clue?

Only a clue.

Many (sadly only older now) people are (should be) familiar with the rational fraction approximation (i.e., truncated continued fraction) of pi as 22/7.

Say my name. Say my name.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
- Albert Camus, Resistance, Rebellion, and Death, 1960.

#7 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:09 PM

I doubt there is much movement because the courts are notoriously SLOW, but even the ACLU is on the NRA side in this case, since it revolves around 1st rights.

https://www.aclu.org...lu-amicus-brief

On another note, I simply can't see this not going the NRA's way in the end, if the NRA doesn't prevail, then the left is sure going to lose it when some states return the favor in regards to insurance companies and banks over things like say clinics and hospitals that perform abortions.

Just like with the filibuster issue, left-leaning crusaders do not seem to realize that they are opening up Pandora's boxes every time they change the rules to try to screw over someone who is ideologically opposed to them. Once the genie is out of the bottle, it can't be put back in.

The same thing does go for conservatives knocking out the pilings to give the finger to progressive/left wing sacred cows.

All it does is cause an escalation of extreme actions, and an eroding of the rights and protections that the Founding Fathers set up.

Idiots, the lot of them.

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

#8 Soutsidr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:27 AM

Most will mispronounce it. Some of us have worked extensively with series expansions and are quite comfortable making real calculations using imaginary space.

#9 cybermgk

• 1,916 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:42 AM

Feel lot better with solid majority on SCOTUS now.  Hope that SCOTUS has good security.  There are some crazies out there that could try to take some out if Dems take Senate.

As a matter of fact, they have their own agency (part of that seperation of branches)

https://en.wikipedia...me_Court_Police

ISRA Member

NRA Member

U.S.A.F Veteran

Single Father of 2

#10 SiliconSorcerer

• 2,469 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:58 AM

Only a clue.

Many (sadly only older now) people are (should be) familiar with the rational fraction approximation (i.e., truncated continued fraction) of pi as 22/7.

I guess I'm old, I still know how to calculate square roots on paper and stopping at 159 is just for sissy's. 

You give peace a chance; I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

NRA Benefactor Member

Gun Owners of America

Remington Society of America Life Member

Ruger Collectors Association Life Member

Texas Gun Collector Honorary Member

Colt Collectors Association Honorary Member

Ruger Society Honorary Member

etc etc etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users