Top 5 Rules to Remember on Concealed Carry

chip

#4 is extremely important and can help mitigate the necessity of #3.

In the majority of my SD instances, I had time to access the situation developing and had time to quietly loosen my firearm, actually set myself for the draw and attack, while backing away.or just turning my body, etc. Just 1-2 seconds of SA can make the difference because when stuff is going down, nanoseconds seem like full seconds.

That said, at least once, #3 was more important, but because the shooter was focused on his intended victim, a cop, I got the upper hand because his SA was lacking. That underlined point takes us right back to #4, doesn't it?

That said, when i have 'alone moments' in my shop, or the outdoors where no one is around, I do practice #3 almost daily. I concentrate on the mechanics of the draw, not the speed. Speed comes with mastering the mechanics.

I have had my permit for two months now.

I admit I haven't carried everyday.

I would like to just throw a question to everyone....

Has anyone carried "everyday all the time"?.......schools etc exceptions of course....

With the exception of posted GFZ, I carry ALL the time. It helps that I also have a .380 for pocket carry, when one of my larger guns wouldn't be possible to carry without obvious printing.

My rule has been to carry all the time. If I am running multiple errands at the same trip, and one of the stops is a GFZ (that is, a trip to the library followed by grocery shopping), my sidearm goes with me and stays in my lockbox in my car while I'm in the GFZ. The only time I leave it at home is if EVERY stop on the itinerary is a GFZ.

Bri

GREAT POST AND SOMETHING WE ALL SHOULD HAVE IN OUR MIND WHEN WE CARRY..HAVING COMBAT MIND SET IS

A GOOD THING AS LONG AS ITS FOR DEFENSE ONLY...i HOPE I NEVER HAVE TO PULL MY GUN ON SOMEONE BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT I WOULDN'T IF IT WAS THE (ONLY) OPTION..TRYING TO AVOID THESE THINGS IS ALWAYS THE BEST IDEA....iF I CANT BACK AWAY WITHOUT BEING HARMED THATS THE WAY i WOULD HANDLE IT..BUT THATS JUST ME

Has anyone carried "everyday all the time"?.......schools etc exceptions of course....

I carry all the time and do all I can to avoid places I can't carry, everyone has different life styles so some carry more than others. at 3 months since being issued going unarmed is like going naked !!!

Chip,

I teach these same principles, but your written version is very concise and to the point!

May I borrow?

Hey Foxriver,

I'm really hoping that all instructors borrow the rules. Not for my ego, but because of the selfish reason that as a citizen of this GREAT country, and as an NRA Instructor, I don't want to see any law abiding citizen get into a situation where they compromise defending their life or their liberty.

Just as we have the 4 basic rules of firearm safety, I think having a few simple rules about concealed carry is a good thing. NRA Basic Pistol teaches the mechanics, it's up to us to teach the rules of the road. Consider how incompetent it would be to only teach someone where the gas pedal, brakes and steering wheel are, but never teaching them the rules of the road and how to navigate in traffic.

- chip

I carry all the time, the rare occasions I don't my pants feel funny. No lie, it's like you get used to the extra weight, and it feels like there's something missing, or you forgot something, like part of your pants. I carry IWB, an empty holster helps for those few places I've stopped where I can't carry, no gun or holster just ends up feeling strange.

Great rules Chip, thank you!

I kind of have an issue with #2.

It's tactically incorrect to imply your ever safer in location a than in location b.

Besides, since they went to scatter site housing, and now we have weekly occurrences of violence in my neighborhood, it has become a neighborhood I would previously avoided.... So exactly how do you propose I get home, carrying or not?

" The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed."

-Steven Biko

I kind of have an issue with #2.

It's tactically incorrect to imply your ever safer in location a than in location b.

Besides, since they went to scatter site housing, and now we have weekly occurrences of violence in my neighborhood, it has become a neighborhood I would previously avoided.... So exactly how do you propose I get home, carrying or not?

-Steven Biko

Hi IL-Logical,

I've gone over #2 a couple of times, and am still unable to find where it makes an implication of one location being safer than another. Let's apply it to your getting home.

Q: Would you go home without a gun?

A: Yes

So in that regard, the rule doesn't prevent you from going home carrying or not.

Now let's take a wild hypothetical.

Q: Would you knowingly go to an area of Chicago, (not your home, work or a place you have a need to visit) on a day where you knew there was going to be a war between 2 different gangs (without a gun)?

A: No

In this regard, the rule would suggest you not go there with a gun.

- chip

The point was, with the gangs fighting over previously unclaimed territory and thus turning what was once a decent neighborhood into an area I would not go to unless totally necessary, which it is.

Thus applying the concept of rule 2. Wherein the rule summarized as, if you wouldn't go there without a gun, don't go there with one.

-Steven Biko

The fact is you never know in advance where the a criminal will strike. Playing the odds game is not relevant as everyone's perception of danger is different.

It's not about playing odds, or not carrying because you perceive someplace to be less of a danger. It's about making good choices when you can, and not going into knowingly dangerous areas if you can avoid them.

The point was, with the gangs fighting over previously unclaimed territory and thus turning what was once a decent neighborhood into an area I would not go to unless totally necessary, which it is.

Thus applying the concept of rule 2. Wherein the rule summarized as, if you wouldn't go there without a gun, don't go there with one.

-Steven Biko

See the above. Apparently you are unable to avoid knowingly going into a dangerous area. Since you live there, you would not be able to avoid going there without a firearm. Rule 2 is a suggestion for making good choices when your destination is optional. In your case, going home, it's not an option. My apology for your situation and confusion with the rule/suggestion. It does not apply to your situation.

I carry all the time where I legally can. IMHO, if you can legally carry, you roll the dice every time you go out without doing so. I know someone who drew on a perp who was beating a woman who was unable to defend herself (likely already unconscious due to the brutality) in an affluent suburban neighborhood. She ended up in the hospital for several days and he quite possibly saved her life. Bottom line: any thing can happen at any time, any where.

I carry all the time where I legally can. IMHO, if you can legally carry, you roll the dice every time you go out without doing so. I know someone who drew on a perp who was beating a woman who was unable to defend herself (likely already unconscious due to the brutality) in an affluent suburban neighborhood. She ended up in the hospital for several days and he quite possibly saved her life. Bottom line: any thing can happen at any time, any where.

Did this make the news? If not, why not?

Aside from work and church when my pistol has to stay locked up in my car, I carry all the time (aside from the occasional GFZ, such as doctor's office), even most of the time at home. I feel nekkid without it!

My permit arrived in the mail on April 10. I have been out of the house without my firearm within easy reach, or at least in the car, on exactly 3 occasions.

Did this make the news? If not, why not?

This happened before CC became law. Perp was charged. Not for me to disclose details as I was not involved, but I'm pretty sure it did not make the news.

I received my CCL on March 6, and except for 2 trips inside the post office , I have carried everyday. My regular places have not been posted,I was able to get a sign removed at my favorite convince store.

3. Shooting and drawing from a holster are DIMINISHING skills.

Many think that taking a single class or practicing once a year, are all that's needed for defensive handgun skills. When the time comes that you need to use a firearm for self defense, it's like the personal Super Bowl of your life. Do you think quarterbacks only practice once a year or a couple of times a year? Plan a practice regimen, even if it's only 15 minutes of dry fire every week, or one visit to the range every month. If you have the time and interest, get involved with shooting sports (USPSA or IDPA). A firearm is an inanimate object, it requires skill to use it effectively.

All were Great points. I advise getting outside and practicing #3 often, add'l training is always a plus. I went to my property today and did A BUNCH of holster draw and shoot drills. Dry fire drills are not enuff, guys and gals. You need the practice of turning off the safety and focussing on the target and front sight... and actually having it GO BANG, hitting center mass.

Most indoor ranges don't allow this.

post-13302-0-53683500-1404614223_thumb.jpg

Love it. Great post and advice.

For some reason many feel having a CCW surrounds them with a force field of protection and they can can do what they want. So not true.

I really like #5. Let the police do their job.

My advice to my students is call 911 as soon as you can and keep talking to the operator. You are creating a record of what is going on. You are getting the police on the way.

With the idea of not using it to protect property and using a similar situation as someone posted earlier, let's say you're approaching your car outside or in a garage and notice someone tampering with your car, trying to break in, damage it, whatever. I understand that you shouldn't draw your gun and demand them to leave, but are you within your rights to simply yell at that person, tell them to leave, stop, whatever and only draw your weapon once/if they became a threat to you by pulling a weapon on you, charging you, etc?

There hasn't been a single day since I've received my license that I have not carried. I feel naked without it, and I always carry openly in my own house when not 'out and about' too. There's been a few instances (maybe 2 or 3) where I've had to 'disarm' for a CPZ/GFZ, but even then I have put it in a backpack and kept it on my person since I do NOT feel comfortable leaving my firearm in something as unsecure as a motor vehicle. Now about my only habit that's changed is making sure I have that backpack/case on me just in case I do have to enter a CPZ/GFZ, so I can unload and at least still keep it on my person so I'm still in direct control of it. Also, for a size reference, my current carry piece is 6.49 inches long, 4.17 inches high, and 1.18 inches wide (g27). My other carry piece is 6.96" long, 4.80" high, and 1.27" wide (g30s).

I'm sure somebody gasped on the fact that I carry while at home, even though I've touched on this before, I'll briefly do it again. I myself even know people that think having a H/D firearm in the house is good enough, in many different ways. I've known people that have no kids and literally leave firearms pretty much seemingly laying around "anywhere" ("ready to go"), and I know people that (even worse) leave them all in some kind of cabinet or safe (for a HD sidearm, cmon) and everywhere in between. Though not many people I know actually carry in their own home. I do, and it's simple why. I don't care whether your firearms are locked up in a cabinet/safe or even if it's one of those "quick access" ones or whatnot, or if you have firearms hidden (or laying around rather openly) around the house. Chances are (depending on your house and the time of day and what's going on [iE are you awake or sleeping]) you're NOT going to get to your H/D firearm in time if you really do need it. I'm sure there are plenty of situations where you CAN too, but that's a risk I'm not willing to take. As I've practiced for this kind of thing, I suggest everyone else do as well. If you think by the time you hear that glass break, or that door kicked in or whatever happens happens you may still have enough time to get to your firearm, you may very well not. So for that simple reason - I keep it on my person at ALL times. I wont have to go rushing for it in the event of an emergency, it'll be right there on my hip, where I've always practiced it being anyway :)

Archived