URGENT Legislative 12/31/12

Tvandermyde

Since I couldn't get ahold of anyone via phone, I sent my elected representatives a pair of non-canned, personalized emails. One to Senator Darin LaHood (publicly praised Heller decision, opposed handgun registration) and Representative Don L. Moffitt (NRA "A" rating). Neither have "official" emails.

Quinn is such a deceptive snake, always slithering around in the shadows trying to get some kind of ban in. First abusing his veto powers now this..

“Though there is no evil in righteousness, there is in self-righteousness,”

David Pietrusza, 1920: The Year of the Six Presidents

Does a phone call carry more weight than an email? Should we be doing both? Do they catch on to the same person contacting them multiple times?

I sent snail mail letters to both my incoming and outgoing legislators in both houses last week. I've emailed them again over this alert. Should I call as well?

It gets so frustrating having to kill the same bill over and over again.

SOMETHING is going on with with the Elections Board link that Molly stickied to the index. 15 minutes ago it worked perfect. Now I get something different and all it feeds back is a doc listing precinct committeemen...???

http://www.elections.il.gov/DistrictLocator/DistrictOfficialSearchByZip.aspx

Does a phone call carry more weight than an email? Should we be doing both? Do they catch on to the same person contacting them multiple times?

I sent snail mail letters to both my incoming and outgoing legislators in both houses last week. I've emailed them again over this alert. Should I call as well?

I'm gonna go down to their local offices in about half an hour. Both are in the same building and I'm pretty cozy with my Rep, not very familiar with my Senator so I took a look at my Senator's voting record and researched his stance on gun control,

Anyone who's paid attention to this kind of thing before, what are our odds? What are our numbers realistically. Can PM them to me if possible. We don't want anti's to see.

The senate voted 46-4 to override the amended veto by Quinn that would have instituted a similar ban. I will be interesting to see how many pro-gun override votes before become anti-gun votes this time. We may see how pro-gun they might really be, or was it just a slap-down of the Governor's power grab?

Anyone who's paid attention to this kind of thing before, what are our odds? What are our numbers realistically. Can PM them to me if possible. We don't want anti's to see.

The senate voted 46-4 to override the amended veto by Quinn that would have instituted a similar ban. I will be interesting to see how many pro-gun override votes before become anti-gun votes this time. We may see how pro-gun they might really be, or was it just a slap-down of the Governor's power grab?

I'm honestly afraid it was just a slap down. Though I don't think we could lose THAT many votes will we.

I think they do, believe it or not, not that many people take the time to contact their reps, and most that do from what I'm told ( at least in my district) are incoherent rantings so if you leave polite concise messages, I'm sure you do stick out. That is why I got to know my reps secretaries, when I send an e-mail, I address it to them and not the rep and ask that they forward on my request.

Here is what my Rep's secertary responded with 2 min after I sent her a message on Facebook

Her: I will tell him but rest assured he would never support any type of gun control.

Me: I know I know, LOL just doing my civic duty. Tell him I said thanks for all of his support! And THANK YOU too, I know being the "middle man" for a Rep or a Senator, can be a thankless job and having to deal with all the complaints about our state has got to be mind numbing. Have a good one, and be safe tonight!

Her:Thx! I vote this is the toughest state for this job. Ugh it can be a drain, but I believe in my boss and some of his colleagues so that helps lol. I hope you and your family have a great new year

•  

Find and Contact your Representative in the US House by Zip Code:

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Contact Your Senators :

http://www.senate.gov/

No reason not to call AND email at any and all offices listed.

I'm sure some people may be hesitant to write unsure of what to say. This is a copy and paste of the email and faxes I sent this morning. I shall be calling shortly at all numbers I can find with very similar remarks.

I am writing today to politely request that you do not offer your support for any proposed ban, including Senator Feinstein’s proposed Assault weapons ban or any other ban on rifles, pistols or magazine capacity. I feel that restricting my rights will do nothing to deter crime, violence, or mass murder.

As a voter I feel that I can not support an elected official if they do not support the 2nd Amendment rights of all law abiding citizens of this great country to keep and bear ALL arms.

This is Mulroe's last chance to define himself.

His vote, or lack of, will be forwarded to the NRA.

He will not skirt an "F" rating by being silent.

Let's hope he doesn't end up on the wrong side of history.

Let's see -- Chicago democrat -- handpicked -- appointed, not elected -- former Crook County prosecutor who claims he is committed to cleaning up government corruption....

Good luck... :rolleyes:

Called Senator McCarter (51st) and Representative Evans (102nd) although as Mr. Evans did not win reelection; I'm not sure what good that will do. Everyone needs to remember to keep the calls, e-mails and personal visits when possible going for the upcoming spring session also. Even if this is defeated now, it doesn't mean it goes away.

Just wrote some e-mails using the NRA's automated system:

Here's what I wrote (modified for my rep)

Title:

Please Support Gun Rights

Body:

Dear Senator _______________,

I've been informed that Senate President John Cullerton will attempt to pass a Semi-Auto Firearm Ban and a Magazine Ban when the Senate reconvenes for their lame-duck session on the 2nd of January.

As a safe and conscientious gun owner, I ask you to please oppose any anti-firearm legislation put forth.

Thank you for your time and have a safe and prosperous New Year,

Mike

This is Mulroe's last chance to define himself.

His vote, or lack of, will be forwarded to the NRA.

He will not skirt an "F" rating by being silent.

Let's hope he doesn't end up on the wrong side of history.

Let's see -- Chicago democrat -- handpicked -- appointed, not elected -- former Crook County prosecutor who claims he is committed to cleaning up government corruption....

Good luck... :rolleyes:

NRA hasn't graded him yet. Just making sure that happens this time.

Archived