IL State Republicans look to address firearm issues

InterestedBystander

Full article at link

https://www.thecentersquare.com/illinois/republicans-look-to-address-firearm-owner-id-delays-fund-sweeps/article_6e6071a2-412c-11ea-8f64-a311bde9df4f.html

...Republicans look to address firearm owner ID delays, fund sweeps, mandatory fingerprinting proposal

As lawmakers prepare to come back to the Illinois State Capitol this week, some Republicans want to address delays in renewing Firearm Owners' Identification cards.

State Sen. Jason Plummer, R-Edwardsville, said there had been a lot of conversation at the statehouse about the Firearm Owners' Identification card process.

The bureaucratic process, the fees, everything and I think theres a lot of us that would like to see significant reform to that system, Plummer said.

A measure the Senate could still take up from last year, Senate Bill 1966, would increase the FOID fees and require applicants to provide fingerprints moving forward. Supporters have said there need to be more checks in place to keep guns away from criminals.

Senate Bill 1966 would ensure there is a background check for every gun sale in our state, and to strengthen current law so that people with violent histories are not able to purchase guns, according to an advocacy email from the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence.

The measure passed the House last year, but wasn't brought up for a concurrence vote in the Senate, something that could happen this year.

A measure requiring federally-licensed gun stores to also get a state license enacted last year that was to take effect earlier this month has yet to be approved by the Joint Commission on Administrative Rules. A hearing on rules for the Firearms Dealer License Certification Act is scheduled for Feb. 18.

Because of a lack of clear rules when gun stores applied for state certification, many closed, a move gun-rights groups said hurts more rural areas of the state.

Plummer said he is opposed to more regulations for lawful gun owners.

There are gun problems, theres crime, there are issues out there that need to be addressed, but going after a foundational freedom of the American people is not the way to solve those problems, Plummer said.

Illinois State Police officials said they are working through a backlog of FOID renewal requests. Last month, the agency reported a backlog of more than 60,000 applications.

The FOID card this year is a huge issue with the renewals, state Sen. Neil Anderson, R-Andalusia, said. Having people nervous about having their Second Amendment right taken away because were behind on getting their new FOID card thats a big issue.

Anderson said he doesnt blame state police.

Were in one of those ten-year cycles where everybody's FOID card is coming up for renewal at the same time, he said.

During the legislative break, the Illinois State Rifle Association revealed millions of dollars was swept from FOID card fees over several years to be used for unr government spending. A memo from the Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability sent to state Rep. Keith Wheeler, R-Oswego, showed more than $13 million was swept from the State Police Firearm Services Fund in fiscal years 2015 through 2019. With another fund having been raided of $15 million, lawmakers took $28.5 million in fees paid for by the states more than 2 million FOID cardholders.

Anderson said the sweeps have to end."...

Until Mike Madigan is removed from his position or dies? I can't say I have much hope for any actually 'common sense' changes in our draconian gun laws ever getting to the voting floor.

Wishful thinking. Cullerton retired and it only netted us an acolyte that's a bigger hater of freedom taking his chair.

Until Mike Madigan is removed from his position or dies? I can't say I have much hope for any actually 'common sense' changes in our draconian gun laws ever getting to the voting floor.

You're working on the assumption his replacement won't be worse

If Madigan is no longer alive to anoint his blessing onto his successor, his like minded sycophants are legion and will carry on according to his will.

He may have caused incalculable harm to Illinois, but he is still one man and he didn't do it all by his lonesome.

Wheeler's stats show an appropriation of $22,000,000 per YEAR for five years, plus the back and forth of revenues in and costs out. If, as his graph hints, $110 MILLION was appropriated and included in the fund, where did it go? If it was appropriated - and NOT delivered - again, where did it go???

Unanswered questions.....

Wheeler's stats show an appropriation of $22,000,000 per YEAR for five years, plus the back and forth of revenues in and costs out. If, as his graph hints, $110 MILLION was appropriated and included in the fund, where did it go? If it was appropriated - and NOT delivered - again, where did it go???

Yeah, exactly. There is NO NEED for ANY fund increases related to FOID or CCL. Guess we’ll see what the R’s go for. If they (R’s) try to work anything into SB1966 to make it stronger by making sure funds go where needed, they’ll get a nice little article about them published and how they screwed us i’m sure.....

Madigan’s enormous power comes from two positions, him being speaker and also the head of the Democrat Party of IL.

As party chairman he controls millions of dollars in campaign funds which allows him to manipulate every democrat who wants to run for office. Even if there were term limits and he was no longer speaker, he would still wield enormous power over the state government.

Yeah, exactly. There is NO NEED for ANY fund increases related to FOID or CCL. Guess we’ll see what the R’s go for. If they (R’s) try to work anything into SB1966 to make it stronger by making sure funds go where needed, they’ll get a nice little article about them published and how they screwed us i’m sure.....

If the ILGA nor the ISP is asking for return of any of that money (and they are not from what I have read), there is no way any fund increases should even be considered.

What needs to be done with the FOID is complete repeal of it! Anything less would be a win for the gun grabbers. I think our only hope for that will be the courts ruling it out of existence. Now something MUST be done about the money being stolen from the concealed carry crew and given to who knows who cronies. But nothing will be.

I think the gun grabbers will be bold and try to grab as much as they can as fast as they can before they get another set back from the courts

A bold agenda would include:

1. Repeal of the FOID Act

2. Reduction of the processing time for initial and renewal of concealed carry licenses -- to 45 days.

3. Reduction in the number of no carry places.

4. Violations of no carry zones should not be a crime like in Missouri.

5. Squash state dealer licensing.

6. Eliminate non-violent felony disqualifications.

Ponder that...........

2. Reduction of the processing time for initial and renewal of concealed carry licenses -- to 45 days.

Ponder that...........

2. Reduce processing time to 10 days (If instant background checks can be be done quickly there is NO REASON it should take any lengthy amount of time)

7. Abolish Firearm/Ammo taxes as they are direct taxes on constitutional rights. Heck!..the guise in which those tax bills were passes should be grounds for abolishment based on they're being bills of attainder.

The CCL is far too expensive for me to acquire already, and if the FOID increases by a single dollar, I'm done paying fees to exercise my Constitutional rights..

I meet more and more downstate people all the time that aren't afraid to admit that they're done taking s#*t from the state, and many are living without a CCL or a FOID. They're simply done asking for permission.

Ponder that...........

I smell unicorn flatulence. Do you think the party in charge would agree to any of that?

it’s important to read the end of the article -

Anderson has for years filed a bill to repeal the state's FOID card requirement. Illinois requires residents to obtain a FOID card to buy or possess a firearm or ammunition. A similar bill was filed in the House. Such efforts don’t have much support in the Democrat-controlled legislature.

The Illinois Supreme Court has at least two cases challenging the FOID card under review.”

I am curious what the two cases are that they mentioned.

Ponder that...........

Good start. Cut the CCL to around 20 bucks! Or better yet become a constitutional carry state with the ccl optional for use out of state

I smell unicorn flatulence. Do you think the party in charge would agree to any of that?

Anderson has for years filed a bill to repeal the state's FOID card requirement. Illinois requires residents to obtain a FOID card to buy or possess a firearm or ammunition. A similar bill was filed in the House. Such efforts don’t have much support in the Democrat-controlled legislature.[/size]

The Illinois Supreme Court has at least two cases challenging the FOID card under review.”

See People v Brown and GSL v Raoul.

Anderson has for years filed a bill to repeal the state's FOID card requirement. Illinois requires residents to obtain a FOID card to buy or possess a firearm or ammunition. A similar bill was filed in the House. Such efforts don’t have much support in the Democrat-controlled legislature.[/size]

See People v Brown and GSL v Raoul.

Thank you!

I was shocked to see that the Illinois Supreme court called the second amendment an "actual right", several times in Johnson V ISP ruling.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=70079&do=findComment&comment=1246312

I smell a "compromise" coming ...

Yep, probably go something like this "We will expedite FOID and CCL processing, but you now have to renew every 2 years at a significant increase in cost, oh and magazines over 10 rounds are banned statwide, deal?"

3ni0be.jpg

I think the gimped magazine and UBC/end to private sales will be given into, in exchange for them magnanimously giving up 1% of the money they're robbing from us to hire a second employee to process FOID & CCL applications

Archived