Crime on CTA/Mass Transit ... Reports and Data

Dr. Rat

He's trying to turn his life around, he slipped through the cracks. Our justice situation didn't fail us. I guarantee if you did the exact same things you'd be in shackles and your name and face would be all over tv and on posters in people neighborhoods and people would be throwing Molotov cocktails through the windows of your home to drive you out of their neighborhoods.

And rightly so.

In my CTA crime summary last year I forgot to include Sex Offense / Sexual Abuse. I reported the counts of Sexual Assault but forgot to include the different crime of Sexual Abuse. Anyway here are the numbers for 2013:

18 attempted or committed criminal sexual abuse at CTA locations in 2013.
4 aggravated criminal sexual abuse
3 attempted aggravated criminal sexual abuse
11 criminal sexual abuse
I'm working on the 2014 numbers, just FYI.

In my CTA crime summary last year I forgot to include Sex Offense / Sexual Abuse. I reported the counts of Sexual Assault but forgot to include the different crime of Sexual Abuse. Anyway here are the numbers for 2013:

28 attempted or committed criminal sexual abuse at CTA locations in 2013.
11 criminal sexual abuse

try this site https://data.cityofchicago.org/Public-Safety/Crimes-2001-to-present/ijzp-q8t2

18 attempted or committed criminal sexual abuse at CTA locations in 2013.
11 criminal sexual abuse

Are you going to put those in a PDF for download for any chance? I could certainly see about passing them on to some of my old media contacts as a story lead. Since I'm part of their "tribe" I can possibly slip something in Trojan-horse style so it will seem as if even non-firearm friendly media folk are noticing the epidemic of violence on public transportation. Nothing like being able to point to the other side's work as a source to justify desired policy change!

Police warn of thefts on CTA trains at Wilson stop

Police are alerting residents of a recent string of thefts on the CTA trains at the Red Line's Wilson stop on the North Side.

Three thefts happened between Dec. 28 and Wednesday during late evening and early morning hours, according to an alert from the Chicago Police Department’s Office of News Affairs.

In each incident, an offender grabbed a cell phone from a victim’s hand and run out of the train at the Wilson stop, 4620 N. Broadway St.

In the Dec. 28 incident, which occurred around 2:15 a.m., the offender was described as a black man, who is between 18 and 25 years old. He was wearing camouflage pants and a gray sweatshirt with the American Eagle logo over a blue-hooded sweatshirt, according to the alert.

The other two thefts happened on Jan. 9 around 10:45 p.m. and on Wednesday around 11:25 p.m., the alert said.

Police encourage residents and commuters to be aware of their surroundings and be cautious when using and holding electronic items on public transportation.

If citizens are confronted by an assailant, they should remain calm and try to remember any unique physical characteristics, such as scars and tattoos, about the offender.

http://www.chicagotr....html?track=rss

If confronted by an assailant, remain calm, remember tatoos. What great advice. What they are obviously telling you is that there will be nobody there to protect you, and you are prohibited by their CPZ signs from defending yourself. So be calm while they rob you, and calmly accept any beating, stabbing or shooting that may be coming your way. We wouldn't want any of our precious criminals to be hurt, you know.

If confronted by an assailant, remain calm, remember tatoos. What great advice. What they are obviously telling you is that there will be nobody there to protect you, and you are prohibited by their CPZ signs from defending yourself. So be calm while they rob you, and calmly accept any beating, stabbing or shooting that may be coming your way. We wouldn't want any of our precious criminals to be hurt, you know.

Yeah because if you survive the attack they want to get some information from you that they may use to try to apprehend the criminal, or at least put something on the news to give the appearance that they're trying.

Passenger robbed at gunpoint on CTA bus

CTA Bus Robbery

A passenger on board an eastbound #80 Irving Park bus was robbed by another passenger who was armed with a handgun as the vehicle approached a stop at Irving Park and Damen/Lincoln around 9:20PM Wednesday.

Police, tipped off by a silent bus alarm, arrived on scene within minutes.

The offender, who boarded the bus at Cicero, fled into the nearby neighborhood wearing a black Neoprene mask and carrying a camouflage backpack.

Police took the man into custody at Damen and Belle Plaine, then found his gun in an alley at Damen and Byron. "An entire busload" of witnesses positively identified the gunman, police say. (CPD case HY123880).

Passenger robbed at gunpoint on CTA bus

CTA Bus Robbery

A passenger on board an eastbound #80 Irving Park bus was robbed by another passenger who was armed with a handgun as the vehicle approached a stop at Irving Park and Damen/Lincoln around 9:20PM Wednesday.

Police, tipped off by a silent bus alarm, arrived on scene within minutes.

The offender, who boarded the bus at Cicero, fled into the nearby neighborhood wearing a black Neoprene mask and carrying a camouflage backpack.

Police took the man into custody at Damen and Belle Plaine, then found his gun in an alley at Damen and Byron. "An entire busload" of witnesses positively identified the gunman, police say. (CPD case HY123880).

I know that exact stop very well. The robber must been heading to the Popeyes Chicken on Ashland and Irving Park, then realized that he didn't have enough money on him, so he robbed the guy on the bus. Perfectly understandable, because I ....... love me some Popeyes, too.

I know that exact stop very well. The robber must been heading to the Popeyes Chicken on Ashland and Irving Park, then realized that he didn't have enough money on him, so he robbed the guy on the bus. Perfectly understandable, because I ....... love me some Popeyes, too.

Please do not try to skirt the profanity filters, thank you.

Please do not try to skirt the profanity filters, thank you.

Oh, I was trying to self-censor, actually.

Another incident for the list. Chicago police are searching for a man who allegedly pulled a stun gun on a woman and robbed her at the Roosevelt Station...http://abc7chicago.com/news/police-man-with-stun-gun-robbed-woman-at-cta-station-/493388/

Perfect. That's the station I use all the time which is closest to my house.

Earlier Tuesday, a man was struck in the head by gunfire in the 600 block of East 51st Street about 1:35 p.m. and taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition, said Sweeney.

News Affairs was releasing no further information as of 3:20 p.m.

The victim was about 18 years old, said people at the scene of the shooting, which took place at the northeast corner of Champlain Avenue and 51st.

Police taped off the area at the corner as they investigated.

One shell casing and a small amount of blood were visible at the crime scene in front of a three-story, yellow brick apartment building. Several packets of lemonade Kool-Aid, a foam takeout container in a plastic bag and the victim’s cellphone also lay on the sidewalk.

A stop for the CTA’s No. 15/Jeffery Local is at the same corner, and the bus continued stopping to pick up and drop off passengers as police investigated.

http://www.chicagotr....html?track=rss

• 4 weeks later...

Adding , Police are investigating a possible armed robbery on a CTA platform at State and Harrison in Chicago's South Loop. Although police are calling it a robbery, the woman said the robber was armed with a gun. http://abc7chicago.com/news/woman-robbed-at-harrison-red-line-station-/527430/

Adding , Police are investigating a possible armed robbery on a CTA platform at State and Harrison in Chicago's South Loop. Although police are calling it a robbery, the woman said the robber was armed with a gun. http://abc7chicago.com/news/woman-robbed-at-harrison-red-line-station-/527430/

She lies! We all know those platforms are posted, and criminals obey signs.

• 3 weeks later...

I need a volunteer(s) to compile this topic into a word document with headlines, brief synopsis & link of each incident, and any pertinent data in general. I plan to present it to the powers that be next week.

I'll give it a go.Don't know how,but I'll compile everything up nice and neat.

If you go here..https://data.cityofchicago.org/Public-Safety/Crimes-One-year-prior-to-present/x2n5-8w5q..and click on location description at the top of the chart then scroll down to #52114 and keep going for a while you get all the CTA crimes from the last year to present,all broken down to platforms ,bus, train, etc...There's a lot,4858 of them.I just can't figure out how to copy them or get them alone on a list.Maybe somebody with more computer savvy than me.

Archived