Attorneys - Firearm Defense

Molly B.

I read up on Second Call Defense recently and took their free webinar. It is a 2nd amendment lawyer from Ohio who created the program because he thought the NRA insurance program was lacking. Mostly because they pay after the fact. Meaning after all your cases have been adjudicated. Second Call Defense instead takes care of you the day you get in the shooting. Even providing an attorney the same day, paying for bond if needed, etc. Also pay you up front for lawyer fees, days in court, etc. Check them out, they have some referral program where you can make money I think, but that isn't really what I like about them. More the up front help they provide. Website is http://www.secondcalldefense.com

I did some research on second call defense including an email exchange with their organization. They appear to be a somewhat new company.

I wish them the best of luck but was not comfortable dealing with a newer company, especially since a case in the Chicago or Cook county area could be exceptionally challenging and expensive. However everyone has to start somewhere, so maybe they will find success in less challenging areas.

To their credit, the person I e-mailed was very responsive. I think both Second Call and the company affiliated with the NRA are associated with Lloyd's of London.

Yeah I think they've only been around 6 months or so, but the owner who is all over the website on the videos has been a 2nd Amendment Attorney in Ohio for 20 plus years. I completed his webinar and he was extremely knowledgable on the topic. He is compiling some 2nd Amendment lawyers here in Illinois to use for subscribers here in Illinois . The only thing I really didn't like other then them being new was the fact that it is a monthly fee instead of a once a year premium.

• 3 weeks later...
Are there any attorneys who are wiling to help me? I've been charged with 720 Act 5 ILCS 24-1.6 (a) (1) (3) (H),720 Act 5 ILCS 24-1.6 (a) (2) (3) (H),

720 Act 5 ILCS 24-1.6 (a) (2) (3) (A), and 720 Act 5 ILCS 24-1.6 (a) (2) (3) (A). I have a couple months left on probation. pm plz.

So you have charges pending and you're on probation for a previous conviction?

• 3 weeks later...
Any one in Cook County?

Stupid question, but maybe not: do you HAVE to have an attorney in your county? Or can you get someone in a neighboring county, especially if you live near the border?

Some attorneys travel, some won't. Most have a few counties that they will cover.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Karlin hates guns from the comments I've seen him make. He's also Nicholas Sheley's attorney (the wackjob who killed his way down the Mississippi River valley because he needed crack). He also happens to be my Alderman (worthless).

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

I don't care if he hates guns and is a worthless alderman as long as he is a good defence attorney.

Support those who support the 2nd amendment. Someone who believes in your cause will fight more vigorously IMO. I don't do business with anti gun businesses if I can help it.

Any one in Cook County?

Stupid question, but maybe not: do you HAVE to have an attorney in your county? Or can you get someone in a neighboring county, especially if you live near the border?

In my experience, you are better off dealing with an attorney who has contacts at what ever court house he/she services. It builds alot of confidence when your attorney walks in and knows everyone by name and they smile when they see him/her and wave.

Look at the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Inc.

I had this group bookmarked a couple of years ago. Massad Ayoob and John Farnam are on the advisory board. Anyone have any experience with them? Seems this may be a good option for those that travel especially, in addition to having local contacts. I may call them to see if some of the lawyers listed here are part of their network.

Molly:

My name is Mike Donahue. I have concentrated in administrative law for over 30 years. I am prepared to represent individuals who have been denied for carry permits and FOID cards. I am based in Kankakee, Will, Iroquois, Livingston and Southern Cook County. My family and I have known Jeff Tomczak for many years. I just spoke to Jeff today and he offered to use me as a referral source for individuals denied for a carry permit or FOID card. If you think I may be of help answering questions for members, feel free to contact me. (708) 691-0457. I apologize for my earlier post. I have been informed I was out of line, I'm new to forums! As a former President of South Suburban ABATE, Motorcycle Rights Association, you would think I should have known better. I forgot to would also mention that I am a NRA and ISRA member. Thank You

Edited by harley9208

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie to this forum but I wanted to ask a question about the topic of this thread. I just received my IL CCL yesterday and see the list of attorneys but am not sure if I just need a name and phone number if I carry or if I should call first and ask an attorney if he/she would be retained if the need arises in the future (in case of a self defense shooting).

I don't know if one has to pay to possibly use the services of an attorney in the future.

I had a very positive interaction with Jeffrey D. Kramer in Urbana. He is pro-2A & pro CCW, and gave me good, honest answers to everything I asked him. For anyone in the champaign-urbana area, consider checking him out. I called his office(Becket & Webber Associates) to set up an appointment. Consultation fee was $100.

--Varun

Edited by Varun

William glisson

Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Office: 630-677-7100

over 35 years practicing law former states attn. very well known in dupage , cook and kane

has represented vey high profile cases. is known by first name in most court houses, has built a solid name for himself .. infact he has earned a nick name for himself as Diamond bill

Edited by cpicazo

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone needs to be careful when signing up for an insurance, or pre-paid legal service agreement. I was looking into various companies and when I thought I found the right one I called them and asked for the names of the attorneys that they would contact to represent me if I were involved in a self defense shooting situation. They were able to provide me with only a single name. When I googled that attorney, I found he was a bankruptcy attorney cleaning extensive experience in wills and trusts. Not a single mention of any criminal defense background or training. Needless to say I did not sign up with that national firm. But based on the above comments I will be looking into Armed Citizens Defense Network, Inc.

Look at the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Inc.

I had this group bookmarked a couple of years ago. Massad Ayoob and John Farnam are on the advisory board. Anyone have any experience with them? Seems this may be a good option for those that travel especially, in addition to having local contacts. I may call them to see if some of the lawyers listed here are part of their network.

I am a member, and they are highly highly recommended. They have an affiliated attorney network, and the organization is growing every year. The 8 dvd's they send you on legal issues of lethal force alone are worth their weight in gold. They pay your upfront attorney fee, and co-ordinate action with your attorney. They will find you one on the spot if you are involved in a lethal force incident & don't have an attorney already. On the back of the card is the number to the founder & CEO's personal cell phone, active 24/7. At the rate they are charging, joining is a no-brainer & I recommend everyone who ccw's join their organization. The amount of learning material, coupled with their expert witness board & boots on the ground program, makes it an extremely useful service. Note however that they are not an insurance agency. You will need the NRA or some other SD insurance to cover that.

I think everyone needs to be careful when signing up for an insurance, or pre-paid legal service agreement. I was looking into various companies and when I thought I found the right one I called them and asked for the names of the attorneys that they would contact to represent me if I were involved in a self defense shooting situation. They were able to provide me with only a single name. When I googled that attorney, I found he was a bankruptcy attorney cleaning extensive experience in wills and trusts. Not a single mention of any criminal defense background or training. Needless to say I did not sign up with that national firm. But based on the above comments I will be looking into Armed Citizens Defense Network, Inc.

With the ACLDN, you are not obligated to use their affiliated attorneys. If you have a preferred attorney, they will work with him/her.

I want to add the name of one of my students,

Beau Winston

312-206-0055

beauwinston@gmail.com

With the ACLDN, you are not obligated to use their affiliated attorneys. If you have a preferred attorney, they will work with him/her.

Looks like they only pay up to $10k? I was reading their FAQ. Also says you may qualify for a grant from the fund, but doesn't say limitations or if you are guaranteed. I am going to work up some questions and give them a lengthy email next week.