Cody Wilson (3D) charged with sex assault.

2smartby1/2

I wouldn't doubt it that he was lured and set up.

So someone forced him to go to a hotel room with an underage girl?

No personal responsibility there?

Come on...

I'm not going to defend someone who's doing something indefensible. I don't care if he's someone on our side or not. In fact, if you fail to disavow people like this, then it muddy's the movement as a whole.

If it turns out he's innocent, I'll eat my words and apologize, but I can't imagine that they doctored video footage of him going into the hotel room with this girl. That's some tin foil hat conspiracy theory stuff.

She represented herself to be over 18 and video footage showing that he met her is not proof of guilt because it's not illegal to meet someone over 18 at a hotel for sex. Did he force her to go to the hotel with him? Did he force her to be a sugar baby/prostitute or to act like one and exchange sex for money? That's what sugar babies on that website do and is legal. This reeks of entrapment.

We shouldn't be so quick to throw someone on our side under the bus who is under attack for allegations without proof. Unless they can show text messages where he knew she was under 18 he is innocent.

You guys are making a lot of assumptions. Why did she go to the hotel with him? What did she think they were gonna do, read the bible? What is she doing on that site looking for a sugar daddy and claiming to be 18. She is not as innocent as being portrayed. It's pretty credible that she went there to have sex for money and no evidence Wilson did something wrong.

Well, she is under age, and if proven, having sex with an under age person, regardless of ignorance of the fact, is still LEGALLY wrong. Ignirance of age HASs been used as a defense in similar cases. And, it has somewhat worked when any reasonable person would have also concluded the person was at least 18 (i.e. fake ID, looks old enough, was in a bar that she has to be of age to get into, etc.) But, he did, unkowingly or not, violate the age of consent laws. Sure, an argument can definately be made for that defense. He went to a site that 'guarntees' and allegedly vettes for age, the young woman also claims such. If she looked of age, or a reasonable person would think so, then agree, he has a defense.

That is just the did he do anything wron 'legally'. But, what about morally? That is all subjective, now isn't it?.

Many would say just using a site like that is wrong, morally. Others might believe hat hooking up with "sugar babies" and paying for sex is MORALLY okay. And if that was one's belief, then yes, I can see, if he had every reason to believe that the woman was over the age of consent, then it would still be morally ok. But, that is subjective, and just because it is your belief, doesn't meant it is a universal truth.

Nothing to do with regulating sex and everything to do with 3D and liberal elements are after Cody and trying to make an example of him. Look at Strzok/Page.

More like killing 2 free speech birds with one stone in a very high profile case. The anti SESTA/FOSTA uproar is as much of a liberal cause as the 3d printed guns are a libertarian cause.

I'm going to speculate evidence is going to be rock solid that he's guilty due to the hatchet job the DOJ wants to run on both distributed gun designs and adult services websites.

Woodhull v US is similar to Cody's challenge but involves websites like sugardaddymeet.

https://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2018/07/constitutional-challenge-against-fosta-filed-woodhull-v-us-guest-blog-post.htm

My guess is the investigation went something like this:

XKeyscore was used to backend into his webmail, social media, MMS cell phone messages, and photo clouds. They've probably been watching him for a long time looking for something bigger then a slap on the wrist. Cody's travel and the DOJ injunction that said his files violated arms export laws would've made him a "national security" issue. Or, the FBI may have access to XKeyscore. This was a Snowden revealed tool that makes digital surveillance easy for low level analysts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/XKeyscore

You'll never know because the Feds like to keep their high tech tools hidden so they don't reveal what they have or risk getting evidence tossed via questionable 5th ammendment violations. So they advise investigators to use parralel construction.

Leaked memo w/ Stingray devices

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/02/fbi-really-doesnt-want-anyone-to-know-about-stingray-use-by-local-cops/

, but maybe somebody on the hotel staff called the cops
you're probably spot on here.

It will be interesting to see if there's a witness who alerted authorities or if an anonymous "hotel witness" calls in an anonymous tip about a young girl and an older guy who only used the room for an hour.

Surveillance footage cycles out after so many days so there was an expiration date. That required this investigation to start at the hotel and start shortly after the event occurred.

https://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign/hospitalityindustry

* Individuals appear to be with a significantly older

boyfriend or in the company of older males.

*Room is rented hourly, less than a day, or for long-

term stay that does not appear normal.

Anonymous tips may be reported on this form and may also be reported to ICE via the toll-free HSI Tip Line, (866) 347-2423

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/19/cody-wilson-man-behind-controversial-3-d-printed-gun-accused-sex-assault.html

My detectives have interviewed ... this victim," Officer said. "In their opinion, if someone mistakes her age it would be because they think she's younger, not older ..."
That statement wouldn't of appeared or been printed if it wasn't part of evidence from a witness.

It was also stated the girls friend tipped off Cody that he was being investigated, which may indicate she wasn't a willing participant in turning him in.

If using parralel construction law enforcement is going to have to go through the motions of getting all the online evidence they know already exists. If I'm right you're going to see this get worse in a few weeks possibly even revealing Cody knew she was underage.

I'm not buying the tinfoil that it was a setup, too much is at stake for the DOJ to screw this up. Plus assuming the DOJ would use an underage girl that probably had sex with him as bait is a little too out there for me to believe.

Again, speculation, and innocent until proven guilty. But let this serve as a warning, if you've given the government a reason to watch you they will be watching you, warrant or not. Overall really stupid on Cody's part.

That's their opinion and doesn't make it proof, someone else might think differently, "they think she was underage" What do you expect them to say if they are trying to get him and have no other evidence.

Bingo, she is not a willing participant in turning him in and being coerced to have him prosecuted.

The surveillance footage is not evidence and doesn't prove anything unless they can prove he knew she was under 18 or they have footage of him forcing her to have sex.

I don't think he is stupid to go with an under age girl when he knows they're trying to get him. It's an open secret and everyone knows that everything is monitored and recorded, to heck with the Constitution.

Innocent until proven guilty...

But there are a few crimes here that are hard to avoid.

Basically, unless the girl is lying about being paid OR having sex, a crime was committed.

If there was an agreement (paid $500 for sex), a crime was committed....even if there was no sex involved.

or

Regardless of money changing hands, if they did have sex, a crime was committed.....even if she lied about her age. Maybe he find a way out of it based on her being on a site where you need to be 18, but we have have to wait to see how that shakes out in court.

One would think that if the above situations were not true, he would not have stayed in Taiwan.

Was this a set-up? I doubt it, but who knows. I don't think anyone forces you to sign-up on Sugardaddymeet.com to begin with.

Her appearance to the investigator who said the only mistake in assuming her age would be thinking that she was younger is factually irrelevant.

As she is the "victim" here -- though I doubt she saw herself that way before this incident -- the interview was likely arranged through her parents, as she's a minor.

So she's obviously not going to dress the way she would for one of her "dates," or act the same, or really even look the same. Clothes would've been more age appropriate, little or no makeup, different hair style, etc. Regardless of how much trouble she's in with her parents, as far as the cops know, she's just a victim, and I promise she played that part.

Overall appearance can be very deceiving, especially if you're already under the assumption someone is not a minor (hooking up through a supposedly vetted website and registration process).

I'm just saying... there were girls in my high school who looked like high school girls... and there were girls who didn't.

As she is the "victim" here -- though I doubt she saw herself that way before this incident -- the interview was likely arranged through her parents, as she's a minor.

Age of consent is not based on physical appearance, it's based on mental competence. A 16 year old prostituting herself out on the internet demonstrates a lack of adult competence. Her parental structure that allowed that to happen clearly shows she's a victim. Based on the fact that her friend tipped off Cody Wilson it's very likely she doesn't consider herself a victim, all the more reason she's not competent enough to be making adult decisions.

In this day and age, especially if you're even mildly important sex is a contract. Despite prostitution being illegal they were exchanging a service for money. Probably should've checked. Again, this is a guy who made a name for himself pushing legal boundaries within the law. There are legal ways he could've gone about prostitution. In Cody Wilson speak this is the legal equivalent of 3d printing a full auto AR15 receiver without a SOT because you think you can get away with it.

I would agree with you, the officer's comment on how she looked is very circumstantial which is why it caught my attention. I wasn't using that to point to guilt, more to the questionable way the case might of been built. It may be used to bolster a lie of what led to the collection of direct evidence. You wouldn't normally get a quote like that from law enforcement to the press unless it's serving a purpose.

Taiwan police arrests American 3D-printed gun maker Cody Wilson

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3535357

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) - Police arrested American 3D-printed gun advocate Cody Wilson in Taipei Citys Wanhua District Friday evening, just a day after it became known he was wanted in Texas for paying a 16-year-old girl for sex, the Apple Daily reported.

His arrest and expected transfer, first to the Criminal Investigation Bureau and later to the National Immigration Agency, brings to a quick close a case which had police hurrying to check out his movements since his arrival in Taiwan on September 6.

Wilson, 30, first checked in at the luxurious Mandarin Oriental Hotel on the capitals Dunhua North Road after a flight from the U.S. However, he left the following day by taxi for an unknown destination, reports said.

As it became known that Wilson was a wanted man in his native country, Taiwan police launched a search for his whereabouts. A real estate agent who saw the reports about the American on TV alerted the police to his recent visit to sign a six-month rental agreement for a studio, reports said.

Wilson had paid the first months rent of NT$19,000 (US$620) and a deposit of NT$18,000 on Thursday afternoon, but he failed to turn up at the agreed time around Friday noon to take possession of the keys for the apartment, possibly aware that he had become a wanted man in Taiwan as well.

He was arrested around 6 p.m. at a hotel on Wanhuas Guangzhou Street, the Central News Agency reported.

As the American Institute in Taiwan reportedly moved to cancel his passport, Wilson will no longer have a legal travel document, making his deportation to the U.S. possible, reports said.

Basically, unless the girl is lying about being paid OR having sex, a crime was committed.

If there was an agreement (paid $500 for sex), a crime was committed....even if there was no sex involved.

or

Regardless of money changing hands, if they did have sex, a crime was committed.....even if she lied about her age. Maybe he find a way out of it based on her being on a site where you need to be 18, but we have have to wait to see how that shakes out in court.

One would think that if the above situations were not true, he would not have stayed in Taiwan.

Was this a set-up? I doubt it, but who knows. I don't think anyone forces you to sign-up on Sugardaddymeet.com to begin with.

There's only one crime he committed which is prostitution and in Texas is a Class B Misdemeanor and people usually get probation for a first offense. Him staying in Taiwan doesn't mean the allegations are true, is he gonna get a fair trial? Signing up on sugardaddymeet is legal and no one forced her to sign up too. Is she going to be prosecuted too for the crime she committed?

or

There's only one crime he committed which is prostitution and in Texas is a Class B Misdemeanor and people usually get probation for a first offense. Him staying in Taiwan doesn't mean the allegations are true, is he gonna get a fair trial? Signing up on sugardaddymeet is legal and no one forced her to sign up too. Is she going to be prosecuted too for the crime she committed?

Perry Mason strikes again.

Keep reaching......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

or

Keep reaching......

This throwing barbs at each has gone far enough. State your opinion without them or don't post at all.

Last warning for everyone.

or

Keep reaching......

Having sex with a minor is a crime and they call who do that a pedophile.

or

Keep reaching......

Not to be pedophile pedantic, but technically the term only applies to prebubescent children. There are different psychological disorders involved.

Still wrong and illegal though.

or

Keep reaching......

Having sex with a minor doesn’t necessarily make one a pedophile.

or

Keep reaching......

The site he was looking to meet people is for adults and is legal and he wasn't looking for minors or he wouldn't be on that site so he is not a pedophile. She signed up at site for adults and represented herself as an adult and lied and said she was over 18.

In fact, if you fail to disavow people like this, then it muddy's the movement as a whole.

To disavow without due process would muddy the movement as a whole, as well.

I disagree. He's entitled to due process.

But to stand by him regardless of what he's done, or what he's accused of, especially when he thinks he's "a big deal", doesn't serve anyone, other than the antis.

or

Keep reaching......

This throwing barbs at each has gone far enough. State your opinion without them or don't post at all.

I’m sorry. I was poking fun with the Perry Mason comment. No offense intended.

The “keep reaching” part was directed at any and all who are imagining (as hard as they can) scenarios where this guy somehow anything more than a creep. I use the word “creep” because this is a somewhat family friendly forum.

I have other more descriptive words that would not be appropriate.

For the apologists and those who seek to prop this guy up because he is peripherally related to the gun world, I have nothing but amused contempt. If I had daughters, I would not want them dating men (boys) with the attitudes some have expressed here. Later....

The site he was looking to meet people is for adults and is legal and he wasn't looking for minors or he wouldn't be on that site so he is not a pedophile. She signed up at site for adults and represented herself as an adult and lied and said she was over 18.

And possession of sale of Traci Lords' earlier work is possession and distribution of child porn.

Look up United States v. X-Citement Video, Inc. The X-Citement owner attempted to use the same defense that they legally ID'd her of age and complied with all laws. The owner was convicted on hearsay of undercover witnesses that he suspected she was underage when selling. It was a setup but the conviction stuck at the Supreme Court level. All materials with her in it underage was ordered destroyed under penalty of law.

Lords used someone else's birth certificate and provided studios government Id's saying she was legal.

This is basis of the case against Cody. For now he's innocent, but if it's found in chat transcripts, emails, etc that he so much as suspected she was underage he's going to jail.

You now know SESTA/FOSTA is as big of a challenged legal matter as 3d printed guns, it was controversially signed into law by Donald Trump. The DOJ is led by ultra conservative Donald Trump appointed Jeff Sessions. Sessions as the AG wants a good case to stick so he can start directing his agencies to kick down doors, shoot dogs, and sieze computers/websites. Sugardaddymeet and all their client accounts are being scrutinized for crimes (and they're there since its basically a prostitution website).

My question for you is this, would they have gone after Cody first knowing they could tip off other more egregious cases of prostitution and child exploitation if they didn't already have a large body of evidence against him?

or

Keep reaching......

I’m sorry. I was poking fun with the Perry Mason comment. No offense intended.

The “keep reaching” part was directed at any and all who are imagining (as hard as they can) scenarios where this guy somehow anything more than a creep. I use the word “creep” because this is a somewhat family friendly forum.

I have other more descriptive words that would not be appropriate.

For the apologists and those who seek to prop this guy up because he is peripherally related to the gun world, I have nothing but amused contempt. If I had daughters, I would not want them dating men (boys) with the attitudes some have expressed here. Later....

No offense taken man, I have met you and think you're a good guy. I understand where you're coming from, no need to apologize. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm just stating my opinion and discussing the case as presented and I'm not using personal attacks against people who have a different point of view.

Is best to change people's minds with logic and facts and not with insults. Some people believe everything they hear in the MSM even when they target people who go against their agenda. I think you're misguided and are easy influenced by their propaganda. You might be old fashioned but young people today use technology to meet and nothing creepy about it.

Not imagining but with the evidence or the lack of that the police have presented he is innocent. I believe he is being railroaded because and is not a coincidence that is happening now.

A bunch of false charges have been thrown at him and he is being portrayed as a child rapist, a monster, when the evidence says otherwise. He obeyed all laws and met someone for a relationship at a legal adult website and helped her financially and did nothing wrong.

Some people might see it as apologizing but I hate injustice and to see people railroaded, especially against someone who has stood up for and advanced our rights and is sacrificing for our rights and is a victim of the anti gun agenda so I'm going to speak out against it.

This is basis of the case against Cody. For now he's innocent, but if it's found in chat transcripts, emails, etc that he so much as suspected she was underage he's going to jail.

That right there.

For those of us not automatically condemning him, this is all we're saying. That doesn't make us bad people, and you don't have to hide your daughters from us.

And possession of sale of Traci Lords' earlier work is possession and distribution of child porn.

Look up United States v. X-Citement Video, Inc. The X-Citement owner attempted to use the same defense that they legally ID'd her of age and complied with all laws. The owner was convicted on hearsay of undercover witnesses that he suspected she was underage when selling. It was a setup but the conviction stuck at the Supreme Court level. All materials with her in it underage was ordered destroyed under penalty of law.

Lords used someone else's birth certificate and provided studios government Id's saying she was legal.

You now know SESTA/FOSTA is as big of a challenged legal matter as 3d printed guns, it was controversially signed into law by Donald Trump. The DOJ is led by ultra conservative Donald Trump appointed Jeff Sessions. Sessions as the AG wants a good case to stick so he can start directing his agencies to kick down doors, shoot dogs, and sieze computers/websites. Sugardaddymeet and all their client accounts are being scrutinized for crimes (and they're there since its basically a prostitution website).

My question for you is this, would they have gone after Cody first knowing they could tip off other more egregious cases of prostitution and child exploitation if they didn't already have a large body of evidence against him?

I had not heard of SESTA/FOSTA until you wrote about it. Where did you see that Sugardaddymeet and all their client accounts are being scrutinized?

I don't think they went after Cody because of SESTA/FOSTA and I don't think they're worried about tipping people off on that site because what they're doing is legal. Looks like that's a website for the wealthy and connected so I don't think they're gonna mess with them.

If they had large body of evidence they would have stated it. What they said looks circumstantial and suspect. It has 3D written all over it. If they got anything of him writing or saying that he knew she was underage he is screwed but if they had it they would have said it.

That right there.

For those of us not automatically condemning him, this is all we're saying. That doesn't make us bad people, and you don't have to hide your daughters from us.

That's right, lol.

It’s good to be old....

We’ll see how this plays out. My old age (informed by Matlock, LA Law and Perry Mason) and wisdom lead me to believe this will not end well for Cody if he goes to trial. May be a little better if he takes a plea bargain.

I’ll back that up with any friendly wager ($1 or a beer) that anyone here cares to make. It smells creepy.

Archived