Insurance for Concealed Carry

yyyz

@aka

A lawyer would not be able to accept food stamps as a form of payment. It would be impossible and illegal for the lawyer to garnish SSI payments.

But he could take the case on contingency - say 40% or 50% with no upfront fees or costs. I do agree with you but would it not be better to be safe than sorry?

I meant that a lawyer for the family of the thug that was killed in self defense would likely avoid suing the shooter that was either exonerated or not charged at all if the shooter is on public assistance. I am merely pointing out that a lawyer with any sense at all would not sue someone on food stamps since they will not get paid.

@aka

A lawyer would not be able to accept food stamps as a form of payment. It would be impossible and illegal for the lawyer to garnish SSI payments.

But he could take the case on contingency - say 40% or 50% with no upfront fees or costs. I do agree with you but would it not be better to be safe than sorry?

I meant that a lawyer for the family of the thug that was killed in self defense would likely avoid suing the shooter that was either exonerated or not charged at all if the shooter is on public assistance. I am merely pointing out that a lawyer with any sense at all would not sue someone on food stamps since they will not get paid.

OK sorry I really misunderstood your comment. My bad. Old brain cells :-)

Don't you mean pro bono. How would a defense attorney be paid if he defends you and you are found innocent and you have nothing in your pockets? I might not be understanding this correctly. If found innocent that is all it is there is no money awarded if found innocent unless the lawyer turns around a sues the complantent. Maybe you can tell IANAL.

Keep in mind that there are two types of charges: Civil and Criminal. If you end up being charged with a crime, your home insurance probably won't cover the costs of legal defense. Even if your home or umbrella insurance covers civil costs for self-defense incidents, it likely won't cover criminal costs, even if you are found not-guilty.

I did a process of elimination and narrowed it down to CCW Safe and/or Secondcalldefense

I did not consider those that only offer reimbursement.

While ccw safe is not an insurance company and does offer an immediate attorney, secondcalldefense offers criminal, civil suit defense, as well as accidental shooting defense.

CCW safe offers an attorney through what seems the entire ordeal, scd offers up to a $10,000 retainer

I dont see where ccws offers bail money while scd will wire it

If the situation we hope to avoid typically costs less than 10k in lawyer fees I may just go with ccws

ccws cost 150 per year for member and spouse scd costs 516 for max coverage for member and spouse.

A final thing to consider is scd includes the locton policy

Summary

CCWSafe

What exactly does your service provide if I am involved in a shooting?

An immediate phone call to one of our attorneys, response to your location of either one of our attorneys to represent you, or an attorney close to you who will represent you, response of an investigative response team to investigate the incident and the suspects background, full representation during any administrative action that follows the critical use of force incident, criminal charges and trial and/or civil trial, and expert witnesses to testify on your behalf. Retrial and appeals if necessary.

Second Call Defense

In addition, the attorney will IMMEDIATELY begin the process of referring you to an attorney in your area from our vast, nationwide network. We can wire a retainer and have you set up with representation within 24 hours, sometimes within just a few hours.

If you are charged with a crime and a judge sets bail, we can IMMEDIATELY wire money to a bail bondsman or otherwise arrange bail so you can get out of jail and work with your attorney on a solid defense. This can significantly improve your odds of being acquitted.

I might actually get both

How long before you have to repay the retainer and other lawyer fees?

You don't have to repay the retainer and other lawyer fees unless you exceed the coverage they are offering on the policy.

Here is their pricing scheme

http://www.secondcalldefense.org/plans-and-pricing

Now if you get into a Zimmerman type media frenzy, you are going to be out of pocket.

Good morning all. I am an insurance agent located in central Il. I have a program specifically for ccw holders. Our website is www.insuremygunliability.com or visit www.jamesinsagency.com and click on the conceal carry tab. I would love to answer any questions anyone may have regarding our coverage and if your homeowners will cover you.

Good morning all. I am an insurance agent located in central Il. I have a program specifically for ccw holders. Our website is www.insuremygunliability.com or visit www.jamesinsagency.com and click on the conceal carry tab. I would love to answer any questions anyone may have regarding our coverage and if your homeowners will cover you.

I just did a quick look at your page and looked at the FAQ page. This somewhat bothers me. Why don't you list on your page the underwriter? This is what I see.

Our policy is underwritten by an domestic insurance company admitted to do business in the State of Illinois. Your policy won’t be underwritten by foreign insurers. Your premium dollars will stay local.

I just did a quick look at your page and looked at the FAQ page. This somewhat bothers me. Why don't you list on your page the underwriter? This is what I see.

Our policy is underwritten by an domestic insurance company admitted to do business in the State of Illinois. Your policy won't be underwritten by foreign insurers. Your premium dollars will stay local.

If you click on the About Us page, it will give you the information about the company underwriting this policy. Hope this helps.

Our policy is underwritten by an domestic insurance company admitted to do business in the State of Illinois. Your policy won't be underwritten by foreign insurers. Your premium dollars will stay local.

Just a quick point: The word "domestic" means in-state and the word "foreign" means out of state. So when he says you won't get a foreign insurer, he is NOT referring to a company outside of the USA. Also, it appears that SPRISKA is actually a broker, not an insurance company. It's not clear who the actual insurance company will be.

Just a quick point: The word "domestic" means in-state and the word "foreign" means out of state. So when he says you won't get a foreign insurer, he is NOT referring to a company outside of the USA. Also, it appears that SPRISKA is actually a broker, not an insurance company. It's not clear who the actual insurance company will be.

HI there, actually the policy is written by Spriska, they are in admitted insurance company. They also house a brokerage but this policy is written on Spriska paper. Also, when we are referring to domestic vs foreign, we are referring to American vs insurance companies with headquarters based out of the country. Hope this helps.

OK, my bad. I thought you were referring to the legal definition of domestic vs. foreign corporation per the IL Secretary of State and the IL Department of Insurance. I've never heard of Spriska. For the benefit of everyone here, can you direct us to a web site showing the parent company (if any) for Spriska and the company's history of defending self-defense incidents? Plus anything else that would give confidence that this is an upstanding company with some history behind it. Thanks!

Just answered part of my own question at: http://www3.ambest.c...656775346566652 It looks like this company has some challenges on its hands. I would prefer to do business with a stable, well-known insurance company that's been doing this type of work for awhile.

"A.M. Best Co. has revised the outlook to negative from stable and affirmed the financial strength rating of A- (Excellent) and issuer credit rating of “a-” of Specialty Risk of America (SPRISKA) (Springfield, IL).

The rating actions reflect the deterioration in SPRISKA’s operating results in recent years, the continued adverse loss reserve development reported in the liquor liability line of business, and more importantly, the execution risk and challenges brought on by the recent change in ownership, management and the shift in the company’s overall strategic direction. The rating actions also consider SPRISKA’s expense ratio disadvantage driven by the high commissions paid to its immediate parent and managing general agent, Special Insurance Services, Inc. Other factors include SPRISKA’s significant reduction in surplus since being acquired in 2009, management’s planned product and geographic expansion coupled with near-term growth initiatives and the company’s ability to execute on them in light of today’s competitive market pressures. Despite these actions, the ratings acknowledge SPRISKA’s moderate underwriting leverage and the action plans implemented by management to return the company to profitability. In light of these broad changes, the preservation of the current ratings is contingent upon SPRISKA’s near-term progress and management’s success in reversing the recent adverse trends in profitability and capitalization."

• 3 weeks later...
I'm no closer to having a good feel for this issue than I was when I started another thread on this subject, and have read several threads here and on other forums. So far it appears that the best balance is with US Concealed Carry, but admittedly I need to clarify for myself whether this gives me immediate help or just reimbursement after the fact as well as how helpful they might be to a member like myself who does not live in a big city with a large number of criminal defense attorneys.

Why not an IllinoisCarry policy? Members pay $150 per year, have good coverage. Howbout it Molly?

Unless it is self insured, which I wouldn't recommend or use, the insurance company would determine the cost based on the assumed risk involved and coverage to be provided..

Archived