Newspapers and IGOLD

Blaster

We can use the link below to contact newspapers in your own area to write the editorial sections and inform the public about IGOLD. You may want to see if the newspaper has an outdoor editor and contact them and fill them in on the IGOLD event.

Link to Newspapers

Mailing addresses:

Crook Co. Newspapers

North & Central Il Newspapers

Southern Il Newspapers

We also have a list of mailing addresses for most of the newspapers in the state as well, broken up by regions (Cook County, Northern IL, and Central/Southern IL).

We'll try to arrange to have them posted in the very near future.

OK...

redid the whole friggin' thing 'cause I wanted to take a different approach...

tell me whatcha think. If it stinks tell me so. I coached for 37 years...my hide is thick!

Law abiding citizens in Illinois own firearms for a number of reasons:

protection, hunting, sport shooting, target shooting, or collections.

Most firearms used for these reasons have been banned in Chicago since 1989. With an ordinance passed in November, 2006, that ban has been expanded to all of Cook County. (Mayor at Work)

With House bill 0873, proposed by Representative Acevedo, Chicago and Cook County would like to govern all of Illinois! (Mayor at work…does anyone care?)

There are several major firearms manufacturing companies in Illinois. They provide the state with a large amount of income: taxes paid by each company and the companies’ employees, peripheral businesses, and the dollars poured into local economies by employees.

House bill 0873 could force firearms manufacturing companies to leave Illinois. The largest of these companies has standing offers from both Wyoming and Kentucky, whether the bill should pass or not! If the income to the state where these companies are located is not valuable, why would other states be seeking them?

Does anyone care?

Should Illinois citizens live by the code of Chicago/Cook County, which, year after year, have some of the highest crime rates in the United States?

Does anyone care?

Hunters, collectors, sport shooters, re-enactment persons, dealers, manufacturers, or believers in the right of self defense:

If you care, be In Springfield on Wednesday, March 14th, for IGOLD…Illinois Gun Owners’ Lobby Day!

For more information, log on to:

http://igold.isra.org/

If it isn't too much trouble, I'd suggest posting the names of papers you write to here, so we don't duplicate our efforts. Some of the big ones, however, it's probably a good idea to double and triple up on, though. Another idea might be to send a more formal letter on behalf of all the RKBA groups to the really major newspapers (on the off chance they publish it someplace slightly more noticeable than buried in the op-eds).

I haven't placed anything in a local paper, don't know if I will. But I was out yesterday in the heart of the weather asking businesses in the area to display the IGOLD flyer.

Even went out of town today, and handed out more flyers to businesses.

First business ask if there was a bus going to come through the area….I directed them to the lady in charge….of the Marion bus.

Hi Molly! :thumb:

Hi OC! Keep those calls coming in! I'm thinking about adding a second So. IL bus!!

This weekend I am preparing an IGold "letter to the editor" for every newspaper along and south of I-64!

Molly B.

...that second bus, probably should take a route through Effingham!

Oc,

We can get a Bales charter bus out of Effingham (1-800-225-3707), cost $675. We would need a sponsor willing to pay that amount to hold the bus. The bus will hold 50 people and $15 per rider would pay for the bus.

If the bus ended up with less than 50 riders the sponsor would need to pick up the balance.

Do you think you could find a sponsor for this bus? I was thinking maybe the Effingham Co. sportsmens club but I can't find any contact information on them.

If you know these folks would you approach them about this and see what they say? Know of any other possible sponsors?

Oc,

We can get a Bales charter bus out of Effingham (1-800-225-3707), cost $675. We would need a sponsor willing to pay that amount to hold the bus. The bus will hold 50 people and $15 per rider would pay for the bus.

If the bus ended up with less than 50 riders the sponsor would need to pick up the balance.

Do you think you could find a sponsor for this bus? I was thinking maybe the Effingham Co. sportsmens club but I can't find any contact information on them.

If you know these folks would you approach them about this and see what they say? Know of any other possible sponsors?

...the main one I can think of, would be the Effingham County Sportsmen club.

There might be some willing business to co-share in the cost.

John's Gun Shop (Effingham)

Mikes Recreation(Shelbyville -217-774-4823)

Funnelman Frontier Arms (Effingham -217-844-2233)

Benett Tire (Windsor - 217-459-2104) He sales firearms also!

emailed today:

Protection, hunting, sport shooting, target shooting, collections…all are reasons why Illinois’ law-abiding citizens have firearms in their homes; that is, if the home isn’t located in Chicago, or, as of late, anywhere in Cook County!

With an ordinance passed in November, 2006, the Chicago firearms ban has expanded to all of Cook County. With House Bill 0873, sponsored by District 2 (Chicago) Representative Edward Acevedo already in committee, Chicago is attempting to force that ban onto the entire state.

Chicago has proven that no firearms ban has ever affected criminals, and neither would HB0873; however HB0873 would affect all Illinois law abiding gun owners.

In addition to firearm ownership, HB0873 would affect five major firearms manufacturing companies located in Illinois. These companies ship products all over the world, including to our own military and law enforcement agencies, thus providing the state with a large amount of income: taxes paid by companies and individual employees, the dollars poured into local economies by the companies and employees, and the growth of peripheral businesses. HB0873 signed into law would curtail business so drastically that these Illinois companies could be forced to relocate in other, more friendly states. Knowing that, other states have already made overtures to at least two of these companies. If the income to the state where these companies might be located is not construed as valuable, why are they being wooed?

In response, please consider Wednesday, March 14th: IGOLD…Illinois Gun Owners’ Lobby Day

Representatives from Springfield Armory, Rock River Arms, members of law enforcement agencies, Guns Save Life (Champaign County Rifle Association), Sangamon County Rifle Association, Illinois State Rifle Association, the National Rifle Association, local gun clubs, FFL dealers, and other Illinois law abiding citizens will be in Springfield on that day to meet with legislators.

Charter buses are already scheduled to leave from various points around the state.

Ride the bus with us, or meet us there!

“48 other states can’t be wrong!”

• 1 year later...
<span style='color:red'>OK...

redid the whole friggin' thing 'cause I wanted to take a different approach...

tell me whatcha think. If it stinks tell me so. I coached for 37 years...my hide is thick!</span>

Law abiding citizens in Illinois own firearms for a number of reasons:

protection, hunting, sport shooting, target shooting, or collections.

Most firearms used for these reasons have been banned in Chicago since 1989. With an ordinance passed in November, 2006, that ban has been expanded to all of Cook County. (Mayor at Work)

With House bill 0873, proposed by Representative Acevedo, Chicago and Cook County would like to govern all of Illinois! (Mayor at work…does anyone care?)

There are several major firearms manufacturing companies in Illinois. They provide the state with a large amount of income: taxes paid by each company and the companies’ employees, peripheral businesses, and the dollars poured into local economies by employees.

House bill 0873 could force firearms manufacturing companies to leave Illinois. The largest of these companies has standing offers from both Wyoming and Kentucky, whether the bill should pass or not! If the income to the state where these companies are located is not valuable, why would other states be seeking them?

Does anyone care?

Should Illinois citizens live by the code of Chicago/Cook County, which, year after year, have some of the highest crime rates in the United States?

Does anyone care?

Hunters, collectors, sport shooters, re-enactment persons, dealers, manufacturers, or believers in the right of self defense:

If you care, be In Springfield on Wednesday, March 14th, for IGOLD…Illinois Gun Owners’ Lobby Day!

Coach, I thought the IGOLD was on the 11th of March. Or did I miss something?

Mac

IGOLD is Tuesday March 11, 2008, I think the date is from last year...

Correct. That was written for last year's IGOLD.

Someone might want to update the par re: HBxx to reflect this year's ammo encoding bill(s).

...But remember LTE word limits!

• 4 years later...

Resurecting an old thread here. I can't believe tha last poster was 'Ole Coach.

We know how the media, especially the Chicago media ignores IGOLD. I questioned the Tribune coverage last year and this is what they pubplished in response:

Reader question: When does the Tribune decide to cover (or not cover) a rally at the state capitol?

March 12, 2012|By Ray Long and James Janega

Readers who support specific causes often seek news coverage of their lobbying days in the state capitol. That can include gun rights, initiatives, health care policies and much more.

Two readers, Charles Vandercamp and Louis J. Berardi, asked versions of the same question: How does the Tribune decide which to cover, and can anything be into a decision to pass?

Reporters and editors talk often about those decisions. Springfield Bureau Chief Ray Long responds:

"The key to covering Springfield is that there is no hard-and-fast rule, which is what makes this the Greatest Beat on Planet Earth. On any given day, there can be multiple News conferences, multiple rallies, multiple committee meetings, a few good tips and dozens of votes on bills in the House and Senate. All of that is to say that few actual rallies get covered — let alone mentioned.

"One reason: rallies, though they are a great show of force for a specific cause, rarely have a major impact on how lawmakers vote on an issue. They give ralliers a great chance to button-hole a lawmaker to present a case for or against legislation, and they can build enthusiasm for an issue. But it’s a day-by-day, often moment-by-moment call on what gets covered among the numerous competing activities that people care about. Votes on major issues, for example, take precedence over a rally no matter how interesting to the crowd.

"But we do our best to deliver the news that has the most impact on our terrific family of readers."

If you have a question about how or why the Tribune does what it does, you can ask us at TribNation.com/Question.

-- James Janega, Trib Nation manager

So, "One reason: rallies, though they are a great show of force for a specific cause, rarely have a major impact on how lawmakers vote on an issue."

Really? So tell me why the Tribune covers every rally and march by "community organizers" and Father Snuffy????

This year Gov. Quinn is giving his annual budget address on March 6th and I'm sure it will be covered by all the Chicago print and TV media. They'll have a hard time ignoring us this year.

Archived