Photo

What are the legal penalties for a CCL holder that accidentally shoots himself?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 CHICAGO HANDGUN OWNER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:36 PM

What are the legal penalties in Illinois  for a CCL holder that accidentally shoots himself? Is it best to report the incident or just grin and bear it?

#2 bmyers

• Members
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:37 PM

When you go to the hospital for treatment or the doctor, it will be reported. 

#3 Odinson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:06 PM

Probably legally deaf. IANALOJOTSCOTUS

#4 Euler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:06 PM

Unlike in movies or TV, leaving a gunshot wound untreated can easily lead to serious infection and necrosis (gangrene). I don't recommend risking limb amputation or multi-system organ failure as a viable alternative to getting out of a municipal fine.

Assuming you weren't trying to kill yourself, you didn't harm anyone else, and you were in legal possession of the gun, you could be charged with reckless discharge of a firearm and/or discharging a firearm within city limits. Those are misdemeanor charges. Depending on the situation, someone might sue you for endangering them.

IANAL (or a doctor)

WARNING: Everything contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

#5 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:22 PM

Tell them it happened outside the city, maybe at an outdoor range in Indiana, you don't exactly remember which one. There was a bench there.
Have all boated who fish?

#6 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:07 PM

http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=70140

#7 luckydawg13

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:34 PM

Know any good Veterinary doctors 

Kid's that Hunt and Fish don't Mug old Ladies 

#8 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• Members
  • 13,071 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:40 PM

But if course nobody here would advocate breaking the law. That is against the COC.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#9 Chip74

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:18 PM

Asking for a friend?

#10 luckydawg13

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:35 PM

But if course nobody here would advocate breaking the law. That is against the COC.

I don't know how to type in purple 

Kid's that Hunt and Fish don't Mug old Ladies 

#11 GWBH

Ripcord... This is Alabama - Fire For Effect, Over...

• Members
  • 6,232 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:09 PM

There's that pesky COC - almost as pesky as the Bill of Rights!! Dang Lou!!

Don't mess around - get the would professionally treated. Internal damage can be significant. That old cowboy crap of - "Oh it's just a shoulder wound" does not fly.

Trust me!!

Penalties - What Euler said...  IANAL (or a doctor) - me neither...

Fire Support Base Ripcord Association - the heroes of the Vietnam War have their names on a wall in Washington, DC
http://www.ripcordassociation.com/

Phil Compton "ishmo", "L" Company 75th Infantry (RANGER) 101st Airborne Division (VietNam 1968 - 1969 / 1970 - 1971 )
A good man, a good soldier, a patriot and a true friend.

PFC Patrick J. Bohan, 101 Pathfinder Detachment, 101st Airborne Division, KIA, July 10, 1970, on FSB Ripcord

#12 tchostler

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:17 PM

ranges from uuw to attempted murder i guess...

#13 thepointbeing

• Supporting Members Team
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:28 PM

Extremely unlikely charge(s) would be filed. But, if so, it would likely be 720 ILCS 5/24-1.5 - Reckless discharge of a firearm (Class 4 felony, potential sentence 1-3 years incarceration).

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor | NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Fraternal Order of Police Firearms Expert Witness

Member: NRA, ISRA, Second Amendment Foundation, Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

#14 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:23 AM

Just don't let them suggest any form of consoling to rule out you weren't trying to hurt yourself.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#15 soylentgreen

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:40 AM

When medical help arrives, tell them what happened so that they can initiate the proper treatment. Make sure to say it was accidental. When the police arrive, tell them it was an accident. I wouldn't say more than that without consulting a lawyer. The police are not likely to simply walk away. They're going to investigate. Hopefully they will reach the conclusion that you don't need to be charged with a crime and that a bullet hole is enough punishment..and that you're not a further danger to yourself or others.

Honestly, I could see Cook County prosecutors pressing charges and attempting to get your FOID and CCL revoked.

#16 Xwing

• Members
  • 8,945 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

Probably legally deaf. IANALOJOTSCOTUS

I love the disclaimer.  I had to think about it for a sec.

When medical help arrives, tell them what happened so that they can initiate the proper treatment. Make sure to say it was accidental. When the police arrive, tell them it was an accident. I wouldn't say more than that without consulting a lawyer. The police are not likely to simply walk away. They're going to investigate. Hopefully they will reach the conclusion that you don't need to be charged with a crime and that a bullet hole is enough punishment..and that you're not a further danger to yourself or others.

Honestly, I could see Cook County prosecutors pressing charges and attempting to get your FOID and CCL revoked.

Yes, probably this.  Depending on where you live, you may have a strong likelihood of being charged.  While you should never lie to the police, there is no need to incriminate yourself by talking.

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
CCW - 50 State Firearm Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#17 jim123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:17 PM

Just when we thought we couldn't find any new type of youtube videos to watch...

#18 GWBH

• Members
  • 6,232 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:04 PM

I'd love to know the story behind these vids...

Fire Support Base Ripcord Association - the heroes of the Vietnam War have their names on a wall in Washington, DC

Phil Compton "ishmo", "L" Company 75th Infantry (RANGER) 101st Airborne Division (VietNam 1968 - 1969 / 1970 - 1971 )

PFC Patrick J. Bohan, 101 Pathfinder Detachment, 101st Airborne Division, KIA, July 10, 1970, on FSB Ripcord

#19 jim123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:49 PM

I'd love to know the story behind these vids...

Me too. Probably started/excaladed on Facebook. Time to blame them for a lot of the gun violence. 

#20 GWBH

• Members
  • 6,232 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:15 PM

My wife thinks I'm nuts but I do a lot of "operating" on myself with a pocket knife. I'm no doctor, but it's never been a big thing to me as I have some experience with wounds and do have a strong tolerance for pain.

But... I hope those guys get some REAL medical attention - those little holes could go way down south pretty quick.

#21 soylentgreen

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:27 PM

Yes, probably this.  Depending on where you live, you may have a strong likelihood of being charged.  While you should never lie to the police, there is no need to incriminate yourself by talking.

Lying to the police isn't illegal. HOWEVER...I think it's better to say as little as possible or nothing at all rather than lie. Let your lawyer do the talking. That's what he or she is paid to do...and you will make their job easier (and less expensive) if you say less rather than more.

#22 bmyers

• Members
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:39 PM

$Maybe if you were arguing with yourself, you could claim you shot yourself in self-defense and the SA find you justified$

#23 Chip74

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:45 PM

If might be best to just drive to Chicago right after it happens and then just go to a hospital and claim you were minding your own business and got shot. They get so many shootings I’m sure they wouldn’t spend much time on it if nobody got killed or seriously injured.

#24 kster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:25 PM

that's some pretty extreme /r/popping....

#25 TomKoz

• 3,588 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:51 PM

NM

Edited by TomKoz, 14 October 2018 - 08:35 AM.

Stay Alert ... Stay Alive !!

#26 Joebillybob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:07 AM

I would say the accident occurred on a boat and the guns were tragically lost after it happened...

#27 lilguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted Today, 06:41 AM

Just go get medical attention, let it get reported, say as little as possible about what happened until you talk to a lawyer. It’s your right.
You’re not going to be tortured into confessing anything no matter the attitude of those caring for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users