Serialized polymer80

Eli Mcfly

From the ISRA email yesterday I read only certain classes of FFL’s can serialize firearms. I was not aware of this, nor do I believe it is accurate, though I may be mistaken.

As I understand the laws, I believe these statements as true (but I am not a lawyer nor an FFL):

Any firearm you make must be intended for your ownership. It is not illegal to sell a firearm you make, but they are not to be made with the intent of selling.

You do not have to serialize the firearm, but you may if choose. I have heard of people putting specific numbers and phrases on lowers.

From the ISRA email yesterday I read only certain classes of FFL’s can serialize firearms. I was not aware of this, nor do I believe it is accurate, though I may be mistaken.

As I understand the laws, I believe these statements as true (but I am not a lawyer nor an FFL):

Any firearm you make must be intended for your ownership. It is not illegal to sell a firearm you make, but they are not to be made with the intent of selling.

You do not have to serialize the firearm, but you may if choose. I have heard of people putting specific numbers and phrases on lowers.

I am likewise not a lawyer or FFL, but I would add a clarification to your first statement: If you do sell a firearm you made, it must be serialized.

Otherwise, I also believe those statements to be true.

I am likewise not a lawyer or FFL, but I would add a clarification to your first statement: If you do sell a firearm you made, it must be serialized.

Otherwise, I also believe those statements to be true.

There's no clarification needed for that. Per the ATF website you do not need to serialize a built firearm in order to sell it.

The answer is that nobody can properly serialize your P-80. AFAIK there is no metal plate embedded in the plastic that is needed for the serial number.

If an FFL 07 did it, they'd have to charge you a lot and run it through their books as (I think) they'd have to be the manufacturer. This would seem to defeat the whole purpose of a P-80.

The laser marking places do 80% AR lowers for people wanting mil replica markings, I don't know if they are putting those s/n's in their books or not. I would presume that if it's a finished lower they would have to.

If you feel you need need a number on the pistol, an OEM slide or barrel will have an s/n on it, that would be the easiest solution.

The answer is that nobody can properly serialize your P-80. AFAIK there is no metal plate embedded in the plastic that is needed for the serial number

Obviously you don't know about Polymer80. There is a metal plate underneath the rail just like the glock but a bigger plate. I already found a company called Atomic Engraving. They can serialize it for me. You CAN NOT have done any work to the blank before sending it out. It MUST be a virgin 80% frame. $35, any serial number you want. Thanks for the help everyone.

The answer is that nobody can properly serialize your P-80. AFAIK there is no metal plate embedded in the plastic that is needed for the serial number

Obviously you don't know about Polymer80. There is a metal plate underneath the rail just like the glock but a bigger plate. I already found a company called Atomic Engraving. They can serialize it for me. You CAN NOT have done any work to the blank before sending it out. It MUST be a virgin 80% frame. $35, any serial number you want. Thanks for the help everyone.

I said "as far as I know", so obviously I didn't know. Learn something every day.

(Far as I know (maybe my dumb hat) is that you can send a firearm / frame to a gunsmith for work and have it returned without anyone else involved.)

Depends what kind of "work" you're talking about. Trigger job, polishing, replacement parts, etc.. That's a gunsmith's job. What I did was to send my 80% frame(NOT A FIREARM) to Atomic for custom serialized engraving. Then they'll send it back untouched(except the custom engraving) untouched. Once I get it back then I'll finish it myself. Google atomic engraving

Archived