Photo

Carry in indiana

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 SoILcarry

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

Can I bring a CCL holder in Illinois OPEN carry in indiana since their law and permit allows open carry?

#2 Glock23

I am no one.

• Supporting Members Team
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:23 PM

I don't think the cops in Indiana would be a problem, but technically their law states that non-residents can carry in accordance with the terms of their home state's license.

Illinois' CCL is good for concealed carry only, so technically that's all you could legally do in Indiana.

However, there's at least one member here who routinely open carries in Indiana.

Honestly, as long as you're not breaking any laws, I don't see it being an issue.  But, "technically" it would not be legal.

** Illinois Carry - Supporting Member
** National Association for Gun Rights - Frontline Defender
** Gun Owners of America - Annual Member
** Illinois State Rifle Association - 3 year American Hero Member
** Second Amendment Foundation - Life Member
** National Rifle Association - Patron Life Member

#3 paknon2wheels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:51 PM

I would agree with everything Glock23 said.

I would add that I have been Open Carrying in Indiana 4-5 times every year for many years and never had a single problem. Prior to IL CCL I carried there on FL and PA permit.

I generally stay in Indianapolis, but I don't think I have ever visited there and not seen at least a couple of other people Open Carrying. Depending on where you are going in Indiana, I would say it's pretty common to see.

#4 GWBH

Ripcord... This is Alabama - Fire For Effect, Over...

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:46 PM

I had a Indiana permit when I worked there. Have to have a full time job - 40hrs / week to get one.

Don't know for sure since Illinois is a CC state, you could have some trouble. Call their State Police and ask.

That said, I never had a LEO say much to me when at a eating place, etc except - "nice look'n Kimber."  Never asked for a permit - nothing...

Fire Support Base Ripcord Association - the heroes of the Vietnam War have their names on a wall in Washington, DC
http://www.ripcordassociation.com/

Sgt. Phil Compton (ishmo), "L" Company (RANGER) 75th Infantry - 101st Airborne Division (Vietnam 1968 - 1969 / 1970 - 1971 )
A good man, a brave soldier, a patriot and a true friend.

PFC Patrick J. Bohan, 101 Pathfinder Detachment, 3rd Brigade - 101st Airborne Division, KIA, July 10, 1970, on FSB Ripcord

#5 Trevis

• Members
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:29 PM

Just carry on an Arizona permit. Pretty cheap, and let's you travel quite a bit.

"You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie, as wisdom...and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged..." - Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

“But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case it is unfit to exist.”

― Lysander SpoonerNo Treason: The Constitution of No Authority

1AApp.jpg

#6 solareclipse2

• Members
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:54 AM

Ok so this has been discussed a few times. Here's the best way I can put it...

Do you think that a police officer in Indiana is going to arrest you for doing something that is legal in Indiana, regardless of it being illegal in IL? 

No. They only care if you're breaking Indiana law. 

Having said that, I have a friend who was approached and asked to see his license and all he had to do was show him his PA license. I have been pulled over in Indiana, and showed my UT license (despite having my IL license), and I have trained with instructors from Indiana who have the IN LTC. They have had people make MWAG calls on him for openly carrying. There was a whole SWAT situation while he was having dinner with his family. He tells the story openly. Anyway, your results may vary depending on the part of Indiana you're in.

I WILL LOSE EVERY ARGUMENT FROM NOW ON, I WILL WALK AWAY FROM EVERY FIGHT OR CONFRONTATION, I WILL TAKE THE HIGH ROAD.

#7 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• 3,285 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:02 AM

Don't understand the deep rooted desire to open carry.
What do people do pull over just as they get across the border and switch holsters?

Even in states that allow open carry, its stated that less than 30% carry that way.
Google it, it's always good reading, but regardless of indianas law, I follow what my state says to do as the Indiana law says I am to do so!!!!!!!!

#8 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:15 AM

What do people do pull over just as they get across the border and switch holsters?
Even in states that allow open carry, its stated that less than 30% carry that way.
Google it, it's always good reading, but regardless of indianas law, I follow what my state says to do as the Indiana law says I am to do so!!!!!!!!

The reluctance to OC is a product of societal perception which is a product of a progressive narrative that self defense (and self reliance) is a bad thing. Even among the most enthusiastic 2A supporters.

#9 Xwing

• Members
  • 9,132 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:56 AM

Open carrying on an Illinois permit in Indiana is a gray area.  Some people interpret the law to say it is not allowed, but it's never to my knowledge actually been prosecuted and tested in court. There is some ambiguity in how it would actually be construed by the court.

If you want to have 100% confidence, best bet is to pick up another non-res license which allows Open Carry (such as AZ or UT).

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
CCW - 50 State Firearm Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#10 FST_Kent

• Members
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:03 AM

It's not a desire, it's just more comfortable for some of us.

#11 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 21,069 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

My understanding of the Indiana provision that you must carry according to the laws of your resident state is that it's not meant in a limiting way.  It's to let people carry according to standards they're familiar with, rather than subject them to strict enforcement of Indiana law that the person may not know as well.

They're pretty accommodating over there.

#12 lockman

• Members
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:20 AM

OC'd in IN many times, never stopped, hassled or evicted. Was on two occasions thanked for my OC, one turned out to be an IC member. From a practical standpoint it is a non-issue from Indiana's perspective.  Indiana has no statute to charge you with for OC with a recognized license from a foreign state. 

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA,  CCRKBA, GOA, & SAF

#13 Hap

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

The reluctance to OC is a product of societal perception which is a product of a progressive narrative that self defense (and self reliance) is a bad thing. Even among the most enthusiastic 2A supporters.

Some of the reluctance to OC among enthusiastic 2A supporters is due to a reluctance to advertise the presence of a firearm to everybody in the immediate area, rather than to progressive brainwashing.

Ad utrumque paratus

#14 Hatchet

• 3,003 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

In my many talks with them this is the cliff notes. by letter of their law, it depends on what it says on your permit. If it says its a permit to carry a concealed weapon then it should be concealed. If it says its a permit to carry a weapon, you can do either.

"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

#15 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

Some of the reluctance to OC among enthusiastic 2A supporters is due to a reluctance to advertise the presence of a firearm to everybody in the immediate area, rather than to progressive brainwashing.

Consider this- The reluctance to advertise the presence of a firearm may be due to the fact that the carrier is now in a tiny minority, and recognizes that the majority of folks (in most of the U.S.) don't view the open carriage of a firearm as normal and brings negative attention from both the MOM types and n'er-do-wellers. This public perception IS the product of the progressives' war on the 2A.

To further my point, one could "plug" themselves into 19th century America, where open carriage of firearms was normal and the accepted, even to the point that concealed firearms were shunned. For us who are carriers today, I would think that we would have no aversion to carrying openly, and our desires to acclimate ourselves to the world around us would be just the same.

#16 Hap

• Members
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:10 PM

Agreed. I wouldn't be at all averse to OC'ing to make a political point or to doing anything else that normalizes firearms ownership, just saying that in general the decision to OC will depend on the situation.

Ad utrumque paratus

#17 Bubbacs

#Fear The Clown

• 3,285 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:21 PM

If tkroenlein types more my head will burst.
Great thoughts, not being negative at all.
Wish I had the wordsmith abilities!

#18 SoILcarry

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:42 PM

I don't want to OC I'm a very strict believer in CC. I was just wondering how the law stated that transition.

#19 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:44 AM

technically their law states that non-residents can carry in accordance with the terms of their home state's license.

It doesn't say that in the way you are representing.

This is easily verified by reading Indiana's formal reciprocity agreements, where Indiana indicates that other licenses are recognized the same as Indiana, and that Indiana laws apply while in Indiana.

No state is responsible for nor able to enforce other state laws.
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#20 Awan

Migrated out of Illinois

• Members
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

technically their law states that non-residents can carry in accordance with the terms of their home state's license.

This is easily verified by reading Indiana's formal reciprocity agreements, where Indiana indicates that other licenses are recognized the same as Indiana, and that Indiana laws apply while in Indiana.

So, an Illinois resident can go to an Indiana gun merchant, purchase a long gun and bring it home the same day? Indiana doesn't have a wait period.

Another active supporter of The Walmart Thread. <- click here to view.

An Indiana resident with a life-time carry permit!

Boomer Sooner

#21 paknon2wheels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

Ever try purchasing ammo online from any other state in the country without providing a IL DL and IL FOID card?

It's an IL Law but enforced by all the other states.

#22 kwc

• 3,417 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:10 PM

Ever try purchasing ammo online from any other state in the country without providing a IL DL and IL FOID card?

Is this true?

If I buy ammo from a dealer in Florida, and they ship it to me in Illinois without verifying my FOID, will the state of Florida prosecute the dealer for breaking Illinois law? It's unclear to me how or if that would happen.

Perhaps there is a federal (ATF) rule that requires states to honor each other's statutes when conducting Interstate transactions. Or maybe dealers in other states comply just to keep their customers from breaking the law, knowing that Illinois could charge the resident with a FOID act violation.

Edited by kwc, 19 November 2016 - 09:13 PM.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#23 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:08 PM

Perhaps there is a federal (ATF) rule that requires states to honor each other's statutes when conducting Interstate transactions. Or maybe dealers in other states comply just to keep their customers from breaking the law, knowing that Illinois could charge the resident with a FOID act violation.

There are ATF regulations that require FFL's to abide by some restrictions. Just like FFLs are restricted from selling handguns to those 18-20, that doesn't make it generally unlawful for those 18-20 to purchase a handgun.

There is nothing unlawful about an Illinois resident from purchasing something in another state which is not legal to purchase in Illinois, as long as that item is then not transported back to Illinois.

Is it legal for a New Jersey resident to possess hollowpoint ammo in Illinois? Of course, there is no restriction on hollowpoint ammo in Illinois.

Before there was any carry in Illinois, one could carry in Indiana with another carry license, so why in the world would Indiana suddenly start enforcing Illinois GFZs or any other aspect of Illinois' FCCA on Illinois residents? It's completely ludicrous.

Edited by Gamma, 20 November 2016 - 03:13 PM.

Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#24 splash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:37 PM

So, an Illinois resident can go to an Indiana gun merchant, purchase a long gun and bring it home the same day? Indiana doesn't have a wait period.

Isn't that what the gangbangers in Chicago been doing?

NRA | ISRA Member

#25 splash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:42 PM

That's because they have to ship it to an Illinois address. But if the transaction itself is done personally in that state, I don't think they need your FOID card, DL for sure to verify your age. I have than that many times buying ammo at Cabelas in Wisconsin.

NRA | ISRA Member

#26 Craigcelia

• Members
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:57 PM

My head is spinning from reading this string of posts. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig

NRA / ISRA Life Member

GOA Member
Need a one on one ICCL Renewal or Utah?  PM Me.

www.safegunpermits.com

#27 brianj - now in Kansas

Political refugee from the People's Republic of IL

• Members
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:43 AM

Here in a month or so (after my move to the great state of Kansas, which allows both OC and CC), I'll probably OC from time to time, but before I do, I'm going to have to go holster shopping.  I have probably 3 or 4 OWB holsters for my 1911, but none of them are retention holsters.  I personally feel that open carrying in a holster without at LEAST a thumbreak is silly and dangerous.  While I have reasonably good situational awareness, if the bad dudes team up to specifically steal my firearm, I want it to at least think about sticking in the holster unless they hit the thumbreak or the Serpa button.

Remember that video of the guy standing at the McDonalds counter when the honor student just nonchalantly walked up behind him, grabbed his handgun, and ran for the door?  Not gonna happen to me.

Bri

"Your father's 1911..  Not as random or clumsy as a Glock.  A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age." -- Obi Wan Kenobi

#28 carry205

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

We are planning a trip over to Turkey Run State Park in February, my question is this: Am I allowed to bring my concealed firearm onto state park property, l have a current Illinois CCL, and I just want to be sure I am not breaking any rules or laws. Do I need to check in with dnr reps when I arrive, or the people in the lodge? I am just carrying for the trip there and home, no plans to do any shooting. I have emailed Indiana DNR, but no response. If anyone knows the answer, I would appreciate the info. I'm sure I'm not the first Illinois ccl holder to visit the great state parks of Indiana. Thank you in advance.

#29 papa

• Members
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

Great place to find info on other states ---> http://www.handgunlaw.us/

State of Ind. info ---> http://www.handgunla...tes/indiana.pdf

This should answer your questions. Merry Christmas.

#30 carry205

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

Thank you Papa for the response and link. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. Stay safe.