Buying ammo with carry licence

bw200

Today I stopped at the St. Charles walmart store. I wanted some ammo.

I had never used my carry license for ammo purchase before and today I decided to show it instead of my foid.

The saless representative would not sell to me without a foid presented.

I explained the law changes and that I could and I ended up asking for the manager.

I was told by the sales representative that Illinois may have thier laws but Walmart had thier policies.

I was always polite never did get to see the manager,

About 5 minutes after the manager was called they called back to the sports area register to say I could go ahead and purchase.

So in the end I didn't use the foid. I was going to spend the night calling walmart and sharing this issue,.

I'm asking for others to test the areas that your near, so the sales workers get to know the rules and laws and not stay ignorant.

I was at the Lake Zurich Walmart a couple weeks ago. I showed my CCW card and went on with the transaction. The guy who runs that counter seems to be pretty up on current events along these lines.

What I have noticed is that they do not seem to be restocking much of their ammo. They have had no shipments of 9mm in weeks. I know they made some corporate level changes about selling AR's and such. Has anyone heard if they are also changing policies on ammo? In our area Walmart has always been the go-to place for lower priced ammo. I would hate to see my main reason for going there disappear due to PC concerns.

They did make a policy change concerning .22LR. They took .22LR ammunition out of their online inventory system. They still have .22LR and they still distribute it to their stores but customers are now incapable of tracking it or knowing when a store has .22LR except by actually going to the store and looking at the ammo cabinet.

Stopped in at the Wally in Naperville on 75th (?) Yesterday with the the wife. Earlier in the day I advised her about leaving the FOID home going forward incase of wallet loss/theft. She did and without planning, later in the evening we stopped by Wally and the fella at the register said he needs the FOID.. I was just testing it since I'm still waiting for my replacement, plus was somewhat in a rush, but going forward I'll ask for MGR if clerk won't sell it.

My wife stopped by a WalMart here in the Quad Cities to buy me some .40 S&W. She had her FOID with her, but first asked about using her CCL to buy ammo. She explained that state law said she could buy firearms or ammunition by just showing her CCL, but the sales droid insisted that WalMart policy required a FOID. She relented and used her FOID. On her way out of the store she ran into a service manager and talked to her about it. The service manager seemed familiar with the situation and said she would bring it up with higher management.

-- Frank

That's ok. One of the biggest privately owned gun stores in Pekin refused to accept the FCCL to even handle firearms.

When I asked if the lady knew the law had changed, she said yes but the owner was still going to require a FOID irregardless.

Then I asked if they had ever had anyone walk out because of their refusal to follow the law and yet wanted to capitalize on it for their profits.

She said no.

So I said "Now you have" and out the door I went.

It isn't much but if you want my money, you are going to follow the law.

And I won't be back.

That's ok. One of the biggest privately owned gun stores in Pekin refused to accept the FCCL to even handle firearms.

When I asked if the lady knew the law had changed, she said yes but the owner was still going to require a FOID irregardless.

Then I asked if they had ever had anyone walk out because of their refusal to follow the law and yet wanted to capitalize on it for their profits.

She said no.

And I won't be back.

me too painter.. i wanted to purchase a kel-tec .380 auto.. needless to say it wasnt purchased from pekin gun.. Presleys was happy as heck to use my CCL...

interesting. in Texas of course, you don't have to show anything to buy ammo.

Heck I bought an AR .300 upper today without showing anything :-)

• 3 months later...

She said no.

And I won't be back.

me too painter.. i wanted to purchase a kel-tec .380 auto.. needless to say it wasnt purchased from pekin gun.. Presleys was happy as heck to use my CCL...

I talked to them about this recently. They are aware of the changes in the law. But they had a pretty good explanation for their stance on still requiring a FOID card:

The two cards do not have matching expiration dates. The CCL does not show the FOID expiration on it. Therefore they do not want to risk losing their license by inadvertently selling a firearm (or ammo) to a person who has what appears to be a vaild a CCL card in their possession, yet could possibly have an expired FOID, making said CCL invalid. This kind of circumstance could put their entire store in jeopardy.

I don't know why IL can't just make the CCL replace the FOID card completely. The redundancy is just stupid.

They did make a policy change concerning .22LR. They took .22LR ammunition out of their online inventory system. They still have .22LR and they still distribute it to their stores but customers are now incapable of tracking it or knowing when a store has .22LR except by actually going to the store and looking at the ammo cabinet.

That's good. It makes it easier for everyone to get .22, instead of the neckbeards and hoarders.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

“The two cards do not have matching expiration dates. The CCL does not show the FOID expiration on it. Therefore they do not want to risk losing their license by inadvertently selling a firearm (or ammo) to a person who has what appears to be a vaild a CCL card in their possession, yet could possibly have an expired FOID, making said CCL invalid. This kind of circumstance could put their entire store in jeopardy.

I don't know why IL can't just make the CCL replace the FOID card completely. The redundancy is just stupid”.

Both laws are necessary since there are those who do not desire to have a FCCL, but wish to have guns and ammunition.

The expiration date line in their story has no validity. The law says either card can be used to purchase guns and ammunition, as long as that card is current. The FCCA says that you have to have a FOID as one of the requirements to obtain a FCCL, but says that you only have to meet the requirements for a FOID while you have your FCCL

FOID(430 ILCS 65/3) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-3)

Sec. 3. (a) Except as provided in Section 3a, no person may knowingly transfer, or cause to be transferred, any firearm, firearm ammunition, stun gun, or taser to any person within this State unless the transferee with whom he deals displays either: (1) a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card which has previously been issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the provisions of this Act; or (2) a currently valid license to carry a concealed firearm which has previously been issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

FCCL Sec70 (a) A license issued or renewed under this Act shall be revoked if, at any time, the licensee is found to be ineligible for a license under this Act or the licensee no longer meets the eligibility requirements of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act.

The last time I was at the Bridgeview Walmart, while buying a few boxes of ammo, I was digging out my FOID. I usually keep my wallet stacked with my DL on top, then CCL, then FOID. The guy saw my CCL and told me I could just use the CCL, quickly glanced at it in my wallet, and I was good to go. They're pretty good about it at that store. The only problem is having to find an employee and page the sporting goods person once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Never had an issue using CCL to buy ammo...except this weekend at Walmart this dude was questioning it. I told him state law lets me use my CCL in lieu of FOID and that it has the FOID number on it. He accepted that response and I purchased my ammo.

As for people knowing I have a CCL, who cares? It's Walmart and anyone that would know what the card is, would either a) have one themselves, B) have a FOID.

Archived