Photo

Donít Waste Your Vote:

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gooch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

Sorry about the topic title..... :woohoo:

Read this article at LP.org this morning and it intrigued me. I've always voted my conscience (Libertarian) as I have never bought into the philosophy that R's are better than D's (both parties are nauseating in my opinion). But what I find most interesting about the authors comments below is his opinion on Jimmy Carter. Now, since I was just a kid during the Carter years, and really have done no research on that era in history, could their be some merit to the authors comments about Mr. Carter?

Full article here

What is somewhat surprising is that Dr. Eland ranks Jimmy Carter as “The Best Modern President” at #8 (restrained foreign policy/evenhanded Middle East policy/deregulated industries/appointed Paul Volcker to the Fed, who then slayed inflation). Eland even ranked Bill Clinton as the 11th best president on his PP&L scale, so he thinks that over the last forty years, Democratic presidents have actually been more libertarian than Republican presidents.

According to Dr. Eland, to find a Republican president who ranks higher in his PP&L rankings than Jimmy Carter, one must go all the way back to Warren Harding. And, to write that pains me; the Marion Harding Presidents (what else would their nickname be?) were rivals with my Findlay Trojans in the Buckeye Conference when I was in high school.

What I took away from Dr. Eland’s enlightening book was that the frequently heard advice to libertarians and supporters of small government to not “waste their vote,” and to hold their nose and vote Republican, makes about as much sense as the headline at the beginning of this column. The people who have done that over the last several decades need to look around and observe what that admonition has wrought.

Gooch

Edited by Gooch, 05 March 2012 - 06:21 AM.

#2 mstrat

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for sharing - that's a very interesting alternate take on the "wasted vote" argument.

Personally I've always argued against the "wasted vote" mentality on its fundamental principles (that until enough people "waste" their votes enough times, public perception of the viability of 3rd parties won't turn and we'll remain in a vicious circle)...

But this is a good, practical point: why does everyone seem to take it for granted that a libertarian vote would otherwise be a Republican one? That's a pretty shaky assumption, and I guess the book referred in this article helps to explain why.
ProtectIllinois.org: Share this link to teach others about RTC in IL

#3 mstrat

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

p.s. can we move this topic to the back room?
ProtectIllinois.org: Share this link to teach others about RTC in IL

#4 ChiShooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Personally I think that a "wasted vote" is when you hold your nose and vote for someone who you don't agree with.

#5 spec4

• Members
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Any vote that fails to help get Obama out is a wasted vote. He is clearly the biggest danger.

#6 Bud

• Members
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Vote Democratic?

AG Holder is using today to explain why it is okay to murder American citizens with no due process of law. They don't have to be convicted of anything, just act suspiciously.

But that's just Americans suspected of being terrorists, right?

Unless you are a Border patrol agent attempting to interdict the flow of illegals and drugs on the southwestern border, they can be murdered too if it helps expedite the erosion of the Second Amendment
Bud

Winter is coming
and the White Walkers are already attacking the cities

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#7 Ranger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

"Any vote that fails to help get Obama out is a wasted vote. He is clearly the biggest danger."

+1

#8 Hossua

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

Vote Democratic?

AG Holder is using today to explain why it is okay to murder American citizens with no due process of law. They don't have to be convicted of anything, just act suspiciously.

But that's just Americans suspected of being terrorists, right?

Unless you are a Border patrol agent attempting to interdict the flow of illegals and drugs on the southwestern border, they can be murdered too if it helps expedite the erosion of the Second Amendment

I think the title was sarcasm, but ya...

#9 Xwing

• Members
  • 9,132 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Any vote that fails to help get Obama out is a wasted vote. He is clearly the biggest danger.

Amen!!! Any vote for president that won't get Obama voted out of office is a terrible mistake! No Republican can do the harm that he is doing.

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
CCW - 50 State Firearm Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#10 Hossua

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

Amen!!! Any vote for president that won't get Obama voted out of office is a terrible mistake! No Republican can do the harm that he is doing.

LOL..
If you say it enough people will.believe it, I guess.

Edited by Hossua, 06 March 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#11 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,739 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Personally I think that a "wasted vote" is when you hold your nose and vote for someone who you don't agree with.

We'll see how you feel about that when you guys split the vote, Obama gets re-elected and SCOTUS goes 5-4 or 6-3 with anti gun justices in the majority and Heller or McDonald get overturned.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#12 Hossua

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

We'll see how you feel about that when you guys split the vote, Obama gets re-elected and SCOTUS goes 5-4 or 6-3 with anti gun justices in the majority and Heller or McDonald get overturned.

Show me a repub that hasnt supported ndaa and then I might jump on that wagon.

#13 xmikex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

It's Illinois. A solidly "D" state. Obama is going to get ALL our electoral college votes.

I'm not voting for him (never had - never will) but pretending that an "R" vote in the general election matters in this state is... :)
"I may disapprove of what arms you bear, but I will defend to the death your right to remain armed." -xmikex

#14 Xwing

• Members
  • 9,132 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

LOL..
If you say it enough people will.believe it, I guess.

Show me one who has done 1/2 as much damage to our country and our rights as "mr nanny state himself" Obama...

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
CCW - 50 State Firearm Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#15 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,739 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Show me a repub that hasnt supported ndaa and then I might jump on that wagon.

I would submit that repealing Obama care and keeping the supreme court are just a wee bit more important than ndaa.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#16 Hossua

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

I would submit that repealing Obama care and keeping the supreme court are just a wee bit more important than ndaa.

I don't know. If someone would support NDAA I am not sure I want them appointing justices. Unless Ron Paul gets the nomination I am voting third party. The Republican party has made it abundantly clear it only cares about the constitution when they can use it to beat up on Democrats.
I don't believe Romney will repeal Obama care.

Edited by Hossua, 06 March 2012 - 06:48 PM.