Photo

AOW's legal in IL?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 eric2281

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

Someone over on arfcom is insisting AOW's are permitted in IL. I was under the impression & could've sworn I read somewhere that they weren't.

Here's an excerpt~

*Some* AOW's are legal in IL. If you have questions, you might want to hit up a dude that uses the handle "Panzerfaust" on Subguns.com. He's an attorney that lives somewhere downstate.

The short of it is that as long as the AOW doesn't fall under IL's law of a short barreled shotgun (which is slightly different than the Fed. law and includes things the ATF would call AOW's) you are cool. So an AR15 with a front pistol grip, a semi MAC with a front pistol group, a smooth bore pistol, and stuff like that is kosher. Also, generally, DD's are legal in IL so you can have an M203 or a Boys .55 if you can find a sign-off or you go the corp. route.

Anyone that tells you different is ill-informed. As a side note, Phil brought up a good point about the registration numbers that ATF shows by state for different types of NFA. Me thinks that one of the things that got the suppressor exemption added for LE and dealers was the fact that ATF showed something like 400 of them in the state when it was technically illegal for ANYONE to have them.

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men" ~ Monsignor (Boondock Saints)

"Lack of interest has it's price... as we're stripped of all our rights" - KMFDM

"Q: How can you tell if a politician is lying? A: Their lips are moving" - Lou

NRA & ISRA Member / Member of the Rifles & Roundels society Posted Image

#2 bob

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

I believe he is correct, at least generally.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The opinions expressed by this poster do not reflect the official stance of Illinois Carry. Apparently there was some confusion on the part of at least one person that it does, and I want to make things clear that my opinion is my own and that whatever the official stance of IC is or is not at present, it may or may not reflect my own opinion.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

#3 Rem870

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

dumb question, but AOW's???

#4 Ol'Coach

• Members
  • 11,520 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:28 AM

dumb question, but AOW's???

Take your pick: AOW :hyper:

Examples HERE.
"He who rides a tiger is afraid to dismount."
...Chinese proverb

#5 xbaltzx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

My girlfriend was denied by two type 07 SOT manufactures in IL stating that they were not allowed. She was trying to add a fore grip to her MAC11. She wanted to transfer it to the 07 and have the modifications made to the firearm. Then have it transferred back on a form 4 so that she would not have to pay the $200 tax stamp ($5 on a form 4?).

One of the manufactures said that if he went ahead and made the modifications and tried to transfer it back, the ATF would not allow it makings the gun nontransferable and/or confiscated.

I did some research for her and found nothing mentioned in the IL statutes about AOW's or foregrips. I told her to mention that to the manufacture and he insisted that it would not be possible.

If anyone has a better solution other than paying the $200 for a form 1 let me know. My girlfriend would be very happy!

#6 flagtag

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

Does this apply to all guns? When did the law go into effect? Are any "grandfathered" in? (Legal - pre law?)

#7 eric2281

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

I'd really like to find someone in IL that could do the transfer(if it's true). I may hold onto my AR15 pistol if I could legally have a vertical foregrip installed.

or possibly get my hands on this baby~ Posted Image

http://www.serbu.com/legacy/shorty.htm
"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men" ~ Monsignor (Boondock Saints)

"Lack of interest has it's price... as we're stripped of all our rights" - KMFDM

#8 Kenny

KAP Guns Owner

• Members
  • 6,710 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

I'd really like to find someone in IL that could do the transfer(if it's true). I may hold onto my AR15 pistol if I could legally have a vertical foregrip installed.

Do you have any idea how bad that thing would hurt to shoot?
NRA Endowment Member ISRA Life Member NSSF Member NRA Pistol Instructor Illinois FCCL Instructor
NRA Chief Range Officer NROI Range Officer USPSA Open Division B class IDPR FCC Certified
Glock Armorer Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer ASC Zombie Shoot Survivor

#9 eric2281

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

Do you have any idea how bad that thing would hurt to shoot?

Probably a LOT. I would assume the Centurion 2" 00 shells wouldn't be too bad though. Well, not as bad as 2 3/4 or 3". ..and you'd get an extra shell in there too! :hyper:

#10 Howard Roark

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

I had to look it up. AOW What the hey!!!? I never heard of that. Here's one, right?
Posted Image
AOW on Pro-Guns

Looks SCARRRRY, like Halloween is Coming. But I heard that even a low power .22 rifle (youth model) can hurt somebody if they're not careful. Can this .22 rifle hurt you as bad as the bad black gun above?

Posted Image

If they both hurt, then maybe both are bad? Help me, I don't know anything about bad guns or good guns.

I heard that "sporting" long guns are maybe OK. But the first image (the bad black gun) looks much more "sporting" to me. Please teach me.

Wink, wink.
Howard Roark
Yay guns!!! boooo anti-gunners!

#11 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,712 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:37 PM

I had to look it up. AOW What the hey!!!? I never heard of that. Here's one, right?
Posted Image
AOW on Pro-Guns

If it doesn't fit in the categories of "machine gun" or "short barrelled rifle" and it still looks evil, then it's an "AOW"...... "Any other weapon".

They gotta call it something to justify the $200 transfer tax!!

AB

Edited by abolt243, 12 October 2009 - 09:58 PM.
Corrected definition of AOW!

Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#12 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• Members
  • 9,346 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

The AOW or 'Any Other Weapon' comes from:

§ 5845. Definitions
(a) Firearm
The term “firearm” means
(1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
(2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
(5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e);
(6) a machinegun;
(7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and
(8) a destructive device. The term “firearm” shall not include an antique firearm or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector’s item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

(e) Any other weapon
The term “any other weapon” means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#13 Ol'Coach

• Members
  • 11,520 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:37 PM

I like this one a lot!
"He who rides a tiger is afraid to dismount."
...Chinese proverb

#14 Howard Roark

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:58 PM

Coach's favorite:
Posted Image

Is it safe for the Children? Just kidding. Kids who learn safety with firearms while they are young are the MOST SAFE.
Howard Roark
Yay guns!!! boooo anti-gunners!

#15 ryr8828

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:15 AM

AOW's are cool, but this is hard to beat and no tax stamp needed.

Posted Image

#16 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,772 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

http://en.wikipedia....earms_regulated

Yep ... and in my opinion, it's all based on the idea that some guns and weapons are "good" and others "bad" and serves as the basis for banning classes of firearms.

Just like "Saturday Night Specials" and "Machine Guns" and "Short-barreled shotguns" and "assault weapons."

The above all have something in common. They're all just guns.
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#17 xbaltzx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

Since AOWs are legal in IL

Does anyone know a type 07 that would do a form 4 transfer?

#18 eric2281

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

Since AOWs are legal in IL

Does anyone know a type 07 that would do a form 4 transfer?

This is what I've been trying to figure out. :headbang1: It's the reason I made this stinkin' thread!