Board review?!

Hey all, new here and got a question... I took my ccw classes and filed for my license a couple months ago on March 11th and just yesterday my ccw status went from under review to under board review.... Is that bad or good? Do you know anything about that? I am 33 and no criminal, haven't even been arrested since high school and even that was a schoolyard fight, not serious at all and underage, never been incarcerated at all or anything close but I'm still waiting and now it's under board review, I took my class on March 11 and now concerned cuz after almost 2 months with fingerprints it says it went to board review yesterday... Does anyone have any advice for me?

Under Board Review means a law enforcement agency has filed an objection. Yes, it can be from when you were young and in high school - especially if you live in Cook Co.. It also means your application and the objection have been sent to the CCL Review Board which means there could be a considerable delay in processing your application. The 90-120 day clock stops until after the CCL RB finishes their review. The board is currently reviewing cases from about April 2015 . . . sorry.

The good news is that it appears the CCL RB is overruling a vast majority of the objections.

Thanks, so what should I do? Would contacting them to see why or ask if something I can give them help?

Thank your county sheriff for what you are experiencing. There should be some kind of legal action to address this foot-dragging but I guess most of the entities that go to bat for the ordinary citizen have gotten what they need with the passage of the FCCL so the rights of Joe Sixpack just don't matter anymore. A right delayed is a right denied.

Thanks, so what should I do? Would contacting them to see why or ask if something I can give them help?

Thank your county sheriff for what you are experiencing. There should be some kind of legal action to address this foot-dragging but I guess most of the entities that go to bat for the ordinary citizen have gotten what they need with the passage of the FCCL so the rights of Joe Sixpack just don't matter anymore. A right delayed is a right denied.

I understand the frustration but I don't understand why you would think there isn't ongoing work on this problem. As in so many other cases, these things take time and are fought on three fronts - legislatively, judicially, and electorally.

There was no time wasted getting before a judge to try to get relief to let FOID cards be used to carry while the state dragged their feet getting their ducks in a row after the law was forced upon them. It was a big deal then but not so much anymore. I wonder why.

Maybe the board is trying their best to get through the backlog but their best is pathetic to say the least. One phone call to Dart by the right person could end all of this but it seems like the powers that be have spoken and said "the peasants have concealed carry, and now they want things done according to the law....and in a timely manner...how dare they?"

See this is the very reason I have worried about mine. I applied on March 21st. And still haven't seen or heard anything about mine. They say 30 days for objections but here it is over 20 days past the objection date and I've seen and heard nothing. And be denied when it's an issue outside the 7 year window that can stop you from getting one is a violation of their own law. For the last 7 years I haven't even been pulled over and stuff I did when I was 21 15 years ago can give them a right to deny me. The law isn't written that way. So I worry cause it's a may issue law idc what they say.

See this is the very reason I have worried about mine. I applied on March 21st. And still haven't seen or heard anything about mine. They say 30 days for objections but here it is over 20 days past the objection date and I've seen and heard nothing. And be denied when it's an issue outside the 7 year window that can stop you from getting one is a violation of their own law. For the last 7 years I haven't even been pulled over and stuff I did when I was 21 15 years ago can give them a right to deny me. The law isn't written that way. So I worry cause it's a may issue law idc what they say.

Illinois is not May issue it is shall issue. Or maybe I'm not reading your last sentence correctly.

Illinois is not May issue it is shall issue. Or maybe I'm not reading your last sentence correctly.

I think that for some it feels like a "may issue." Just look at the people that have gotten more than 5 extension letters from the board. It sure doesn't feel like you're practicing a right when it can be held up for months on end with paperwork.

I think that for some it feels like a "may issue." Just look at the people that have gotten more than 5 extension letters from the board. It sure doesn't feel like you're practicing a right when it can be held up for months on end with paperwork.

This.

If it were truly "shall issue," there would be no LEO objection window. Either you meet the criteria set forth in the law or you don't. Allowing subjective objections by anyone is essentially making it a "may issue" law.

Especially in cases (such as the recently posted about pro se case) where an applicant's objection was overturned by a circuit court... then the state was allowed to appeal, basically re-objecting... further delaying (or denying) this guy's rights.

This.

If it were truly "shall issue," there would be no LEO objection window. Either you meet the criteria set forth in the law or you don't. Allowing subjective objections by anyone is essentially making it a "may issue" law.

Especially in cases (such as the recently posted about pro se case) where an applicant's objection was overturned by a circuit court... then the state was allowed to appeal, basically re-objecting... further delaying (or denying) this guy's rights.

"Shall not be infringed" is a tough one to understand for the boneheaded "authorities" in this crummy state. When a government takes away your" Right" and then sells it back to you, they don't consider it a Right at all. They turn it into a privilege so they can revoke it for something stupid or hassle and deny you from exercising that Right. I wonder why we don't see too many hassles about the First Amendment?

Yes the law is written as a shall issue. But as stated above. Shall issues means I have a valid foid and took the classes 30 days later I get my ccl. In Illinois legal gun owners are being denied everyday. That makes it a may issue law. Regardless of them saying it's shall. People with no criminal history have been denied or objected.

In Illinois legal gun owners are being denied everyday. That makes it a may issue law. Regardless of them saying it's shall.

To put the numbers in perspective, of the ~197K applications since December 2013, less than 1% have ultimately been denied. Another ~1% are currently awaiting CCLRB resolution.

But for those who were denied or are awaiting CCLRB review, that might as well be 100%--particularly if there is nothing in the applicant's record that should be disqualifying.

For those waiting in limbo, hang in there... hoping for the best!

Just one legal gun owner being denied the or ccl makes it may issue and not only violates the constitution but the shall issue law itself. There are hundreds of legal gun owners being denied the right to carry right now. Due to objections. You're ok with legal gun owners being denied the right to carry based on objections even if they are legal gun owners?

You're ok with legal gun owners being denied the right to carry based on objections even if they are legal gun owners?

If you're posing this question to me, the answer is "no."

I happen to be one of those denied the right to carry simply for being a legal resident of another state (even though I live here in Illinois and teach the FCCL class in Illinois).

Just one legal gun owner being denied the or ccl makes it may issue and not only violates the constitution but the shall issue law itself. There are hundreds of legal gun owners being denied the right to carry right now. Due to objections. You're ok with legal gun owners being denied the right to carry based on objections even if they are legal gun owners?

Since Illinois was the last state to get it and assuming your not 21 you've been denied for quite a long time. Does it make it right. heck no! Does it mean we have a corrupt system of course.

If it was a good system people who already have FOID cars should have been given their ccl imo.

Why not move out of IL long ago? Then you could calm your shorts down.

I personally am leaving the state as soon as possible but has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

i just checked my ccl status, and i went under board review today. i immediately called isp and they said i had an objection from a local law enforcement agency, i have no idea what this could be for... what are my next steps?

And i thought that leo agencies had 30 days to object, and this is my 84th day?

i live in cook county, maybe i have been "DARTED"?

Archived