IGOLD 2018 Date?

NukemJim

It's complicated and based on session calendar and the like.

Moire important is that people get down there and show:

1. support for their pro-gun legislators out on a limb

2. the resolve to show up and be counted.

And it shouldn't take a crisis or the need for CCW,

but there's human nature to consider..

It looks like stormy legislation ahead, we need to get down there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm making it a point to get more involved politically involved & active – this certainly includes this year's IGOLD being mandatory. This will be my first time attending.

How do you all get down there? Drive alone, carpool or do we rent buses?

I'm making it a point to get more involved politically involved & active – this certainly includes this year's IGOLD being mandatory. This will be my first time attending.

How do you all get down there? Drive alone, carpool or do we rent buses?

All are options but there are no official bus rentals this year.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67925&do=findComment&comment=1130053

Do you know if there are any buses running?

No busses unless a local group is doing one near you.

I'd suggest Amtrak if your near a station, otherwise there are usually a few folks here that have room to carpool.

ISRA IGOLD page

http://www.isra.org/Events/AnnualEvents/iGOLD.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone describe the event? What do you actually do there? Stand in a big group outside the capitol building for a group picture? How long are you there for? Any speakers? Do you get to meet your representatives? I would like to attend so having an idea of what goes on there would really help me.

Thanks!

Can someone describe the event? What do you actually do there? Stand in a big group outside the capitol building for a group picture? How long are you there for? Any speakers? Do you get to meet your representatives? I would like to attend so having an idea of what goes on there would really help me.

Thanks!

We meet up, we march to the capital building, we show the strength in our numbers. Once at the capital building we seek out our elected officials and POLITELY engage.

The biggest thing is the show of numbers in my humble opinion.

Thanks!

We meet up, we march to the capital building, we show the strength in our numbers. Once at the capital building we seek out our elected officials and POLITELY engage.

Yes this. Some reps and senators will meet with you and some will not. Usually the pro gun ones will be more open to meeting with you if they are not busy. I now that mine are happy to meet with us as long s they are not busy with other commitments. I have also met with several other reps that were very friendly and eager to listen.

Thanks!

Yes this. Some reps and senators will meet with you and some will not. Usually the pro gun ones will be more open to meeting with you if they are not busy. I now that mine are happy to meet with us as long s they are not busy with other commitments. I have also met with several other reps that were very friendly and eager to listen.

How do they meet with you? Never been to Springfield but even if all the people that show are evenly distributed between the general assembly, there will be 50+ people per office.

What time do you usually meet up? How long do you stay? It is a 6 hour round trip for me. Trying to see how that could work out with my wife and 2 year old son. I would really like to participate.

How do they meet with you? Never been to Springfield but even if all the people that show are evenly distributed between the general assembly, there will be 50+ people per office.

What time do you usually meet up? How long do you stay? It is a 6 hour round trip for me. Trying to see how that could work out with my wife and 2 year old son. I would really like to participate.

You will meet your two elected officials by going to their offices. You will probably pick up some printed info from IGOLD to leave with them. Often, it's just a quick visit to the office to say hi, unless you actually know them. Chicago Dems likely will not see unscheduled visitors that day.

It's quite thrilling to see such activity on the capitol grounds!

It's a real blast! Many people meet personally with their reps, many do not. But everyone drops off a quick note to their representative and their senator to show they're there. (The notes are pre-formatted at IGOLD and you just fill out your name & info.) It's really nice to see the large stack of notes on each Senator and Representatives' desks. It counts for a lot when they see how many people take a day off work and travel, and it's really an influence multiplier for our cause.

BTW, bring your son (but bring a stroller)! Several people bring their children of any age. I plan to bring my 3-year old daughter this year. :) There are a few "must do" activities in the day, but also some "free time" where you can check out the capital with your family, etc...

(I am always chiming in with this:)

If you are anywhere in the Chicago-St. Louis corridor, Amtrak is always a good option.

The fares are cheap- I pay about $30 round trip from Joliet station- and the service is getting pretty reliable.

From the north of Springfield, the train timing is near-perfect, arriving 10:15am and departing about 5pm with a later 7:30ish one.

From St. Louis, it's a little less favorable but it's workable.

The event begins with gathering at the Convention Center, about five blocks from the Amtrak station. There is an assembly and speakers, and then the march gathers up. This is about 1.5 miles (guessing here!) and ends at the front steps of the Capitol Building with another set of speakers. Then the group enters the buildings and goes about meeting up with reps and senators. There is another final assembly in the rotunda near the end, about 3pm-ish.

It's important we put up a good show with numbers. It's numbers that count to the politicos.

Just being there is enough.

I've never been to IGOLD, but this year I must go. I see that the date for IGOLD has been moved back a few times and is now set for April 25th. At this point is another reschedule likely? I ask because I am looking to book a hotel in advance.

I believe it will not change at this late point in the process. But we are always at the mercy of the legislative schedule. If the legislature decides to take that week off, we'd have to change the date. I'd give it about a 95%+ chance of staying on 4/25, but it wouldn't hurt to make a refundable reservation just in case. :)

Ok, so a few questions. I'm planning on going this year (never been before). You just show up? Or do I need to register and/or sign up anywhere? I suppose we can't carry there either...if going in the capital and such, correct? Thanks in advance.

There's a convention center downtown where we meet at in the morning. There you'll get an information packet with preprinted cards to deliver to your representatives. You can also buy hats and tshirts, and meet ISRA, Illinois Carry reps. There is a rally there, and then we march to the Capitol.

We go through security so absolutely no carry or any types of weapons can be taken in. Drop the cards off at your reps' offices, and meet at the rotunda at about 3pm for a final get together, and go home.

Thinking of going this year, depending on what's going on at work. How is parking in Springfield? Only been there once to take a state level test, and I was able to park at the building I was going to.

Parking is decent. There is one parking garage next door, plus a medium amount of street parking and a few more garages / parking lots within several blocks. You will certainly be able to find parking; but if you get there later, you may have to walk a couple of blocks.

• 2 weeks later...

A month out so thought worthy of a bumping in case some reading are not aware or plan to go but have been putting off details.

http://www.isra.org/Events/AnnualEvents/iGOLD.aspx

http://www.isra.org/portals/6/ISRA%20Images/IGOLD%202018%20EVENT-SPRINGFIELD%20CENTER_8.5x11_FINAL.jpg?ver=2018-03-20-152429-643

Archived