Culp vs Madigan - Lawsuit Filed On Behalf of Non-Residents

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#601 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

I'm with KWC.  She should have adequate information to come to a decision.  Let's just hope it is the correct one.

NRA Patron/NRA Pistol Instructor
Illinois/Utah Concealed Carry Instructor

Glock Armorer/M&P Armorer

LFI I/LFI II

#602 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

Any idea on when the judge will issue her decision?

LFI I/LFI II

#603 kwc

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

That's a great question--not sure anyone knows the answer. It could be this week or it could be in July or later. Fingers crossed!
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#604 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 7,970 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

Judge Myerscough's comments on Moore when it was remanded back to the district were solid gold. Hoping for good things here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#605 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

Judge Myerscough's comments on Moore when it was remanded back to the district were solid gold.

I must have missed those. I was under the impression that she was pretty hostile to firearms rights.
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#606 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 7,970 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

Judge Myerscough's comments on Moore when it was remanded back to the district were solid gold.I must have missed those. I was under the impression that she was pretty hostile to firearms rights.

Skinny did a real good synopsis on it, too.

http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=42076

#607 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

Myerscough wasn't having any of the State's "this case is moot, we're gonna litigate the attorney's fees and expenses" garbage. She point blank stated that the Moore plaintiffs had not obtained the sought after relief. It may have been more of a "OK, so this is what they wanted, this is what they got, nope. Didn't get everything they wanted." It was by the book. She was correct, they sought invalidation of the ban on carriage of stun devices and the FCCA kept the ban on carriage of stun devices. Can't have relief without relief. She also refused to play games with the State, attempting to nickel and dime counsel for the Moore plaintiffs. Then again, all judges are human beings and all humans are biased. To state otherwise would be intellectually dishonest. I can't begin to speculate on how she'll rule but she seems to have little patience for government antics as evidenced by her granting summary judgment in favor of the plaintiff in a 1983 false arrest and excessive force case arising out of a Sangamon County Deputy's liberal taser usage (LEO who arrested a woman for no reason, then repeatedly tased her into submission because she asked why she was being arrested, presumably because he believed he had the authority to order anyone to do anything under any circumstance).
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#608 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:29 AM

Four years have passed since Illinois passed the FCCA, three and one-half years since they certified me to teach classes, two and one-half years since the case was filed and they still won't allow me to apply for a license.  Anybody think Judge Myerscough will ever issue her decision?

LFI I/LFI II

#609 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 14,497 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

Four years have passed since Illinois passed the FCCA, three and one-half years since they certified me to teach classes, two and one-half years since the case was filed and they still won't allow me to apply for a license.  Anybody think Judge Myerscough will ever issue her decision?

She will eventually but my goodness, she seems to be taking her sweet time to do it . . . sitting on the edge of my seat here.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#610 kwc

• 3,157 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:12 PM

I can't help but wonder if she was waiting for an outcome on the Peruta case before issuing her opinion. Yea, I'm VERY anxious to get a ruling!!!
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9 (NIV)

"If you can't explain it to a six-year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Albert Einstein (paraphrased)

#611 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:26 AM

I can't help but wonder if she was waiting for an outcome on the Peruta case before issuing her opinion. Yea, I'm VERY anxious to get a ruling!!!

Well if she was hoping SCOTUS would take the case, they didn't, so Moore is still binding on her.

Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#612 kwc

• 3,157 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:12 AM

Well if she was hoping SCOTUS would take the case, they didn't, so Moore is still binding on her.

Absolutely agree.

#613 Frank

"Frank can Glock"

• 2,357 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

Absolutely agree.

+1

NRA Life Member - NRA Basic Pistol Instructor - NRA PPIH Instructor - NRA PPOH Instructor - USPSA Range Officer - IL Firearms Concealed Carry Instructor - ITWT Club Member #438

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside." -Moore v. Madigan, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, December 11, 2012

#614 Raw Power

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

Hope to see a positive resolution to this sometime soon. We could use the tourism money, and IL has a bad enough rep as it stands.

#615 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

Absolutely agree.

+1

Maybe she was hoping nationwide reciprocity would pass then she wouldn't have to rule on this case.

#616 kwc

• 3,157 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

Today Judge Myerscough scheduled oral arguments for Aug 22:

"Docket Text: TEXT ORDER: The parties' cross motions for summary judgment [43], [45] are set for oral argument on Tuesday, August 22, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. in Courtroom 1 in Springfield before Judge Sue E. Myerscough. Entered by Judge Sue E. Myerscough on 7/28/2017. (GL, ilcd)"

This comes as a bit of a surprise to me... I think many of us anticipated a ruling any day now.

#617 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

I, too, wonder why she decided to set oral arguments after issuing that order saying she won't benefit from oral arguments. Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#618 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

Looking forward to her finally coming to a decision and hoping to attend if I don't have a CCL class to teach.

LFI I/LFI II

#619 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 7,970 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:55 PM

She might have something she wants to say. She was none to proud of the legislature "painting it [the UUW law] red."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#620 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

Paint (it) red as in "paint the town red?" The ILGA went on a reckless debauch, a wild spree with the UUW? Interesting...that almost sounds like she's irritated by the State placing obscene restrictions on non-residents obtaining a CCL and failing to exempt military personnel who are stationed in Illinois (or classify them as Illinois residents for purposes of the Act). This is gonna be a very interesting hearing. Is her duty station still Springfield? I think there's only one district judge per courthouse in the Central District (all Dem appointees). Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#621 Tango7

• Members
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

Deny, stall, redirect, obfuscate.
You will not 'rise to the occasion', you will default to your level of training - plan accordingly.

Despite their rallying around us at election time, honoring only 8 hours of Illinois' 40+ hour law enforcement class towards a 16 hour requirement shows the contempt that our elected officials hold us in.

#622 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

Does anyone have the street address of the court where oral arguements will be made?  I see 600 E. Monroe Street in google maps.  Is this correct?  I haven't been to the Capitol since I was a kid but am seriously thinking of driving down (3+ hours) for this one.

LFI I/LFI II

#623 kwc

• 3,157 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

Does anyone have the street address of the court where oral arguements will be made?  I see 600 E. Monroe Street in google maps.  Is this correct?  I haven't been to the Capitol since I was a kid but am seriously thinking of driving down (3+ hours) for this one.

Yes, you have the correct street address.

#624 Molly B.

• 14,497 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

There is a parking garage at the corner of 7th and Monroe, almost right across the street from the courthouse.  I think parking costs $7.50 for the day?  Not sure, it's been awhile since we were there last.  There is also a  public parking lot on the corner of 8th and Adams St., parking fee isn't very much and is only about 2 1/2 blocks from the courthouse.

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#625 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

Yes, you have the correct street address.

Thanks.  Looking forward to the oral arguments.

LFI I/LFI II

#626 ChicagoZman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

There is a parking garage at the corner of 7th and Monroe, almost right across the street from the courthouse.  I think parking costs $7.50 for the day?  Not sure, it's been awhile since we were there last.  There is also a  public parking lot on the corner of 8th and Adams St., parking fee isn't very much and is only about 2 1/2 blocks from the courthouse.

$7.50?  It was $35 when I parked in the Loop for the Appeals court.  The difference will pay for my gas there and back.

LFI I/LFI II

#627 OldMarineVet

• 1,709 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

watching

#628 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 12,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

At $7.50 for the whole day id he tempted to drive all the way down there just to take advantage of the deal, if only there wasn't so many shootings near the courthouse.

Have all boated who fish?

#629 Molly B.

• 14,497 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:57 PM

Parking fee for the parking lot was only $3.00 for about 3 hrs.!

Judicial challenges are probably the most interesting and exciting things that we, as IllinoisCarry, undertakes.  Today was no different.  The hearing lasted more than two hours.  The judge seemed to give each side a fair amount of time to present arguments with little interruption from the bench, except to ask questions for clarity or additional information.  I look forward to the transcript being available and posted here.

We had three plaintiffs present - Col. Kevin Culp, Doug Zylstra, and Paul Heslin. 

#630 bmyers

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users