Elmhurst Advice?

jagt48

My wife and I are looking to move to the suburbs from the city now that we have a son. Does anyone have any experience with Elmhurst? I'd like to be off the suppliers' blacklists. I saw that it is partially in Cook, but can only see maybe part of a road that actually is. Other members have complained that since their town is partially in Cook that they still sometimes have issues, even if they can show that they live in DuPage. I didn't see any ordinances on the books, so I'm assuming I will be safe breaking my toys out of jail in other states? I have been thinking about an SBR as well. The schools seem quite nice there, which is also very helpful. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I believe all the actual houses in Elmhurst are in DuPage County. So you shouldn't have any issues with suppliers. But you never know if some suppliers get confused. I've know of people in West Chicago (which is way out in DuPage and nowhere near Cook) who had issues in the past b/c their town included the word "Chicago" in it. It shouldn't be enough to stop you from buying a house there though if you find one that meets your needs.

Elmhurst is a nice town and as far as I know entirely within DuPage County.

This.

Although some parts can be quite more expensive than others from what I hear. South side is older and more "open" iirc. Not sure about taxes. Good access to roadways from 290, 294, 88, etc so you can get where you need to be.

No firearm restrictions I am aware of, but retail sales not allowed in town as of a couple years back although they were revisiting that when a Villa Park officer opened a gear/uniform store on N York.

"toys out of jail?" No AWB or mag restrictions, but other IL laws apply.

I believe all the actual houses in Elmhurst are in DuPage County. So you shouldn't have any issues with suppliers. But you never know if some suppliers get confused. I've know of people in West Chicago (which is way out in DuPage and nowhere near Cook) who had issues in the past b/c their town included the word "Chicago" in it. It shouldn't be enough to stop you from buying a house there though if you find one that meets your needs.

This is me. I have this problem all the time. Normally a quick email or call that asks them to check google maps sets it right, but man is it irritating.

Downtown Elmhurst restaurants were mostly posted last time I was down there exploring for new places to eat for fun. Nice town though. Good schools. Local college probably means hot chicks in the downtown bars if that's your scene.

I consider Rt.83 the eastern boundary of safety from Chicago gang violence. Sure, we still get a little trouble further west, but that seems to be the approximate spot where the towns visibly change from eeeh to nice.

Elmhurst is a nice town and as far as I know entirely within DuPage County.

This.

Although some parts can be quite more expensive than others from what I hear. South side is older and more "open" iirc. Not sure about taxes. Good access to roadways from 290, 294, 88, etc so you can get where you need to be.

No firearm restrictions I am aware of, but retail sales not allowed in town as of a couple years back although they were revisiting that when a Villa Park officer opened a gear/uniform store on N York.

"toys out of jail?" No AWB or mag restrictions, but other IL laws apply.

Nothing NFA-related. Just some semi auto rifles that Chicago thinks are too dangerous to look at in my own home.

I've looked at Lake, and really like some of the places. The property taxes are pretty high though, comparatively. McHenry would be nice, but unfortunately my wife works Downtown. I'm out in Woodridge, so any move we make is good for my commute and bad for hers. I'd rather not saddle her with more car time than necessary.

I've looked at Lake, and really like some of the places. The property taxes are pretty high though, comparatively. McHenry would be nice, but unfortunately my wife works Downtown. I'm out in Woodridge, so any move we make is good for my commute and bad for hers. I'd rather not saddle her with more car time than necessary.

If she works in the Loop the Metra Service is well worth it.

If she works in the Loop the Metra Service is well worth it.

Absolutely. zone D and very reasonable transit times at least during rush hour service.

Elmhurst is ok far as firearms laws go. I don't think they have any home rule bans or anything. Cook County ends just west of I-294. Not sure how much of Elmhurst that actually encompasses but it would be a vary small area of a couple blocks if it did.

Obviously commute times and thus a happy wife are most important to you. Given its location on the border Elmhurst does a pretty good job of staying suburban in its own little bubble.

They haven't really succumb to urbanization yet like many of the towns or parts of towns around them because its a pricey area that folks are just not ready to let go of yet.

Not a bad place to live. If you're coming from the real city you will probably think its heaven.

Thanks for the comments everything. I honestly don't know too much about the Metra. I moved here from the middle of Missouri just after college a few years ago. My wife is from the area, but has always driven. I suppose I just need to sit down and look at their schedule, along with Pace, etc. I'm sure my realtor will have information on this.

As far as SBRs, I think I've got a pretty good idea on what's required. I looked into it back in MO, and I've had my C&R for close to ten years.

Thanks for the comments everything. I honestly don't know too much about the Metra. I moved here from the middle of Missouri just after college a few years ago. My wife is from the area, but has always driven. I suppose I just need to sit down and look at their schedule, along with Pace, etc. I'm sure my realtor will have information on this.

As far as SBRs, I think I've got a pretty good idea on what's required. I looked into it back in MO, and I've had my C&R for close to ten years.

Yep, C&R is key.

Not sure on PACE schedule to Elmhurst Metra station. There appears to be quite a bit of parking. I suppose it does also depend on her destination from Ogilve station. CTA is ok with express busses in the AM/PM rush hours and many businesses run shuttle busses too.

Yep, C&R is key.

Not sure on PACE schedule to Elmhurst Metra station. There appears to be quite a bit of parking. I suppose it does also depend on her destination from Ogilve station. CTA is ok with express busses in the AM/PM rush hours and many businesses run shuttle busses too.

^What he said.^

I have commuted using Metra from the Northwest suburbs for over 35 years.

If her job is anywhere near Ogilvie or Clybourn stops she'd be nuts to drive.

I grew up in Elmhurst, parents still live there. Never had any issues having guns in the house, ownership, etc. I live in Lombard now (still DuPage Co) and did the paperwork for a SBR 2-3 yrs ago and had no issues. At the time I applied for a SBR, I had to get local LEO to sign off on it which he did, no problem. My 2 cents anyway.

because of the proximity to O'hare, any house you look at, you might want to go by at different times on different days to see if you are on one of the runway flightpaths. My wife is a realtor with Keller Williams and one afternoon she showed a home to a couple in Elmhurst near 64 and York (just west) and while they were inside, I was outside and every 45 seconds a jet came in over their house. Needless to say, they passed.

because of the proximity to O'hare, any house you look at, you might want to go by at different times on different days to see if you are on one of the runway flightpaths. My wife is a realtor with Keller Williams and one afternoon she showed a home to a couple in Elmhurst near 64 and York (just west) and while they were inside, I was outside and every 45 seconds a jet came in over their house. Needless to say, they passed.

Great point. I'm in Wood Dale which is right next to Elmhurst. I watch and hear the planes all day, and night.

I too live in a township that is both dupage and cook.....

I've never had any issues as far as getting things shipped. (Matter 'o fact I had firearms shipped to MANNY SEGGARA GUNS that is located in West Chicago and had no problems)

I understand some vendors go by zip codes and have problems with anything close to 'chicago' zips. 606xx? Mine is 601xx and, again, never had a problem with online purchases/transfers of 'evil' firearms or ammo.

And ya...Elmhurst, from my memory, is pretty nice. But then again, Moving from 'der citaah' is a LEAP up where ever you go :)

Yep, C&R is key.

^What he said.^

I have commuted using Metra from the Northwest suburbs for over 35 years.

If her job is anywhere near Ogilvie or Clybourn stops she'd be nuts to drive.

I think Ogilvie, then jump on a CTA bus? She has always worked around Millennium Park. Our realtor sent over some information for a $400/year parking permit with the city of Elmhurst. It seems promising. The thing about her job now is that she has a company-paid spot in her building, but if she changes jobs she'd lose this. The cheapest I found in the Loop area with about 20 seconds of searching is $170/month. I didn't have a chance to investigate, but I think she's leaning towards taking public transportation anyways.

InterestedBystander, I think you've got a good idea at what I might be looking at to SBR... :) I'd still like a Scorpion as well, but that's just because I'm a goober that likes to spend money on dumb things.

This is a good point, and not something that I had considered. We are looking at a place this week that is south of there. I will see if I can find anything online, or if the realtor has any information.

If you can stand another 5 minutes Glen Ellyn also has excellent schools etc, both are pricy of course but I suspect you know that.

I f your ever considering being a FFL however you better check, these towns are a little bit more picky - you don't park a car on the street overnight kind of towns.

Bus or walk.

Ogilvie to Millennium park is about a 15 min walk.

I walked Ogilvie to LaSalle and Jackson every day both ways for many, many, many years no matter the weather.

It's healthy and you see great parts of the city.

It's not a bad walk. Very doable, even in bad weather. I've worked downtown in a few locations for > 15 years. Still have never been on a CTA bus. Metra (either Union or Ogilvie) --> any location downtown == walkable.

If you can stand another 5 minutes Glen Ellyn also has excellent schools etc, both are pricy of course but I suspect you know that.

I f your ever considering being a FFL however you better check, these towns are a little bit more picky - you don't park a car on the street overnight kind of towns.

Glen Ellyn is a very nice town with good schools (both GB South & West are highly ranked). But good luck getting a parking spot at the Metra station. Last I heard, it was > 5 year waiting list; may be 10 by now...

BTW, Wood Dale (next to Elmhurst) has a Metra Station with lots and lots of parking. I used to live there, and Metra parking was one of my "must haves"...

I grew up in Glen Ellyn and did the Glenbard schools so if you want to know what kind of child that turns out just read my posts. LOL. Nice area though, but be wary of the taxes. My parents were forced out by common sense (taxes way too high) once I got out of school and their house.

Keep moving west and you'll find West Chicago. Fewer airplanes, less traffic, more Mexican food, and housing from cheap to very expensive. I live on the very north end of town which seems like it should be Bartlett or Wayne. Very nice area too, but it doesn't have the cache of the pricer more easterly DuPage towns...that's specific to the area north of Main in WC.

On the airplane front, they've been doing a runway rotation to share the pain. Just because there's no air traffic today doesn't mean you won't get it tomorrow. As they add the next two runways things can change again too.

Archived