Could we try a temporary carve out for new items?

armadroid

I know everyone wants parks, and public tranist.

Can we try to do a temporary carve out of cook county? I am out in Naperville and there are parks everywhere that I pay for but cannot go to. I know it won't pass with cook county involved but maybe without them? Maybe a preliminary carve out for 365 days then it becomes legal in cook county?

Could the same work for open carry? Make it illegal in Chicago and cook county? But allownit elsewhere.

I know we want it everywhere... But it would be a start. Sorry cook county residents

Can we try to do a temporary carve out of cook county? I am out in Naperville and there are parks everywhere that I pay for but cannot go to. I know it won't pass with cook county involved but maybe without them? Maybe a preliminary carve out for 365 days then it becomes legal in cook county?

Could the same work for open carry? Make it illegal in Chicago and cook county? But allownit elsewhere.

I know we want it everywhere... But it would be a start. Sorry cook county residents

VERY Slipper slope, Blink and it will be may not shall.

ETA

SHALL NOT INFRINGE.

If you include an automatic clause to make it legal in Cook it will be opposed as vehemently as anything that goes right into effect in Cook

If you carve out Cook entirely with the intent of including it with later legislation it will never happen, Cook will likely end up carved out forever. And it will will likely be opposed just as vehemently anyway

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

A similar concept was offered in a carry bill several years ago - a bill we supported under the circumstances of the time. For reasons we needn't go into right now, the bill was killed. I think those same reasons exist to this day.

I agree 100%... Just with the nice summer it sucks I can't go some places without giving up my right.

Summer is over, get over it.

FWIW, I live in Cook County and I would support a carve out if it meant you can carry in parks without me being able to, but that's the kind of guy I am.

I don't want to carve out :( I just want to go to parks, public transit.

Just talking out loud here.

I agree 100%... Just with the nice summer it sucks I can't go some places without giving up my right.

Summer is over, get over it.

FWIW, I live in Cook County and I would support a carve out if it meant you can carry in parks without me being able to, but that's the kind of guy I am.

Don't worry Fife. We won't ask you to do that.

Why would we do such a thing?

To get a few votes?

Hate to break it to you, but as I understand it from talking with Todd Vandermyde, aka Mr. NRA in Springfield, those anti-gunners don't vote for our stuff even if there's a carve-out.

Speaking of Mr. V, I haven't seen him posting much here for at least a couple of months.

A similar concept was offered in a carry bill several years ago - a bill we supported. For reasons we needn't go into right now, the bill was killed. I think those same reasons exist to this day.

If it's the bill Todd V. was talking about, it died for lack of support.

Was there another one?

I personally don't like the idea of leaving people behind. Especially when the inner city residents are the ones that benefit the most from CCW!

We didn't get in Florida by giving away Dade County. We got it through hard work as I understand it (although I must admit, I was young when that all happened).

There is already a precedent in the present law for this. Carry is not permitted in the Cook County Forest Preserves, but is in those in the rest of the state. The buildings are usually posted though.

Under Section 65 Prohibited Areas:

A – “(14) Any real property under the control of the Cook County Forest Preserve District”.

This was discussed in the debate on 5/31/13. Representative Phelps explained that the prohibited areas included, among other places, parks in or controlled by municipalities and park districts, but excluded forest preserves, state parks, and conservation areas. I was unable to copy from the pdf file. There, of course, may be other restrictions from other laws or regulations e.g. by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources or others.

If it's the bill Todd V. was talking about, it died for lack of support.

Was there another one?

I personally don't like the idea of leaving people behind. Especially when the inner city residents are the ones that benefit the most from CCW!

We didn't get in Florida by giving away Dade County. We got it through hard work as I understand it (although I must admit, I was young when that all happened).

If you search the forum archives I'm sure you'll find a thread explaining things in more detail.

There is already a precedent in the present law for this. Carry is not permitted in the Cook County Forest Preserves, but is in those in the rest of the state. The buildings are usually posted though.

Under Section 65 Prohibited Areas:

A – “(14) Any real property under the control of the Cook County Forest Preserve District”.

This was discussed in the debate on 5/31/13. Representative Phelps explained that the prohibited areas included, among other places, parks in or controlled by municipalities and park districts, but excluded forest preserves, state parks, and conservation areas. I was unable to copy from the pdf file. There, of course, may be other restrictions from other laws or regulations e.g. by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources or others.

http://dnr.state.il.us/law3/Documents/ConcealedCarryQnA.pdf

5) On what IDNR properties may an Illinois Concealed Carry Permit holder carry a concealed

firearm?

Illinois Concealed Carry Permit holders may carry a concealed firearm on any IDNR real property

(including bike trails, trails, or any other designated public hunting area or building where

firearm possession is permitted by the IDNR) with the following exceptions: All IDNR Office

buildings, including but not limited to the Joel D. Brunsvold Building (IDNR Springfield

Headquarters Building), IDNR Regional Office buildings, IDNR State Museum buildings, and any

other IDNR building marked with the ISP-approved sign prohibiting firearms. All firearms,

including concealed firearms, are also prohibited on all IDNR State Refuge areas, IDNR Dedicated

Nature Preserves, and IDNR children playground areas. When visiting any of these locations,

Concealed Carry Permit holders are required to secure their concealed firearms in their vehicle

in accordance with the Illinois Concealed Carry Act.

People who call for carve outs are... I can't say the word here without being banned. Otis McDonald (RIP) stood up for your rights and Wilson v Cook County is still fighting for them. The only reason you enjoy your right to carry today is because of people from Chicago. I guess you got yours so now you're done? Ready to throw us under the bus?

Apologies for my intemperate language but this is a slap in the face.

My friend Rhonda Ezell who is still fighting for rights in the city of Chicago, Ezell V Chicago has helped win several cases in other states and forever will, feels that anyone suggesting or thinking that the city of Chicago and cook county should be carved out of any 2A rights should think twice because she would like to take her grand daughter to the park as well.

I do not understand why some insist on punishing the rest of the state because of the restrictions in Cook County. Essentially saying, “If it is not 100% my way, then nobody gets anything”.

It is one state one law in that it applies to all people. There are always be some kind of restrictions and/or exceptions. I assume that no one is arguing that the accused, even though assumed innocent, should have the right to bring weapons into the court room, or be able to keep their guns in prison. We might disagree on whether felons should be allowed to have guns after release from prison; maybe never, or after parole, or after 10 or 20 years.

Freedom of speech is limited by libel and slander laws. The right to vote is limited by citizenship, residency, and age.

I would like to see the prohibited list trimmed down and have force of law removed from posting of the no guns allowed signs. I still respect the right of private property owners to post and their right to have those carriers refusing to leave be arrested for trespassing.

Passing laws involves compromise. Not everyone is going to be happy at any particular stage. That does not mean we cannot seek to make more changes; sometimes big ones other times smaller ones. We keep moving toward better protection of our rights.

Archived