SAF Applauds Kavanaugh Nomination to U.S. Supreme Court

Molly B.

https://www.saf.org/saf-applauds-trumps-nomination-of-kavanaugh-to-supreme-court/

The Second Amendment Foundation this evening applauded president Donald Trump’s nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to fill the vacancy on the United States Supreme Court created by the looming retirement of Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy.

“We’re encouraged by this nomination,” said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb, “because by adding Judge Kavanaugh, we might see the high court become more willing to accept and rule on important Second Amendment issues, such as right-to-carry.

Can we get some of the backstory on why SAF is supporting Kavanaugh?

Are there any specifics that can be mentioned? I'm surprised to hear that they came out for him so quickly.

This should be enough from article linked by bmyers

"On the other side, the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence derided the pick, saying he has “issued prior rulings that are ideologically aligned with the gun lobby and reflect a radical interpretation of the Constitution under which public safety justifications play no role in Second Amendment jurisprudence.”

The fact that THEY are so against him, speaks enough to me.

Posted · Hidden by Molly B., December 12, 2018 at 04:17 PM - No reason given
Hidden by Molly B., December 12, 2018 at 04:17 PM - No reason given

Are there any specifics that can be mentioned? I'm surprised to hear that they came out for him so quickly.

This should be enough from article linked by bmyers

"On the other side, the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence derided the pick, saying he has “issued prior rulings that are ideologically aligned with the gun lobby and reflect a radical interpretation of the Constitution under which public safety justifications play no role in Second Amendment jurisprudence.”

The fact that THEY are so against him, speaks enough to me.

Anti-gun groups and leftist media talking heads are in full meltdown. SAF is no nonsense when it comes to gun rights. That’s all I need to know about his views regarding the 2nd

https://reason.com/volokh/2018/07/09/judge-kavanaugh-and-the-second-amendment

He wrote the dissenting opinion in Heller II vs DC at the appellate court level, before it was appealed to SCOTUS.

https://reason.com/volokh/2018/07/09/judge-kavanaugh-and-the-second-amendment

He wrote the dissenting opinion in Heller II vs DC at the appellate court level, before it was appealed to SCOTUS.

Thank you. I wasn't familiar with Kavanaugh prior to his nomination. I appreciate the info.

Archived