FOID Card Appeals

Derrick99

FOID appeals are all still paper - not digital - so it's a file folder that gets moved through the steps physically and tracked via a database. Very antiquated system. Some appeals must be cleared through the legal staff first or through the Mental Health Board. Compounding that, they have very few - a small handful - staff who review all the appeals FOID and CCL then funnel all the information to one person, the Director of the Firearm Services Bureau, for the final ruling.

That's not good because we live in a digital society were everything we used is now computerize. Also, there should be a law mandating them to have a timeframe to make their decision on FOID appeals... The process shouldn't take no longer than 90days . They are penalizing tax- payers and law abiding citizens with their incompetencies

Another shooting four houses from me and I have no right to protect my family and my property due to a a few felonies from over 20 years ago. We have several guns but I have no right to defend myself because of that. Laws need to change and not so hard to get my firearms back for ex felons who life's have changed.

• 1 month later...

Molly,

My FOID appeal has been pending since August 2018. Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

Unfortunately, I don't know of anything that can be done to speed up the process. Depending on the reason for the appeal, the timeframe is anywhere from 6 mos. to a year. Did your appeal require court records be submitted? If so, did you submit certified documents - meaning stamped and signed by the circuit clerk?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. This will be the first forum i have ever read and plied/posted a comment on. I love the threads, comments and replies. Extremely informative. I am, however, a bit confused. I am not sure who Molly is, but obviously extremely knowledgeable on the topics and everyone tends to ask questions directly. I must make my attempt :) I have applied for a Foid in Sept. 2018 and I have not received a denial letter, after being denied per online status, so I appealed knowing it was based on a past conviction that is sealed and havent gotten a reply or a mere acknowledgement of receipt of my appeal. I cant call because they are so overwhelmed with calls there is no answer, voicemail is full, they dont return email inquiries, and cant speak to anyone live. If I went in person, do you think that department is open to the public? Thanks for your time!

Molly,

Good morning.

I sent you a direct message a month ago regarding my FOID & CCL appeal that has been going on about 2 years now.

Both of my ID's were incorrectly revoked based on a false police report that was filed. I've already gone to court and had the issue resolved & cleared up. My criminal record is spotless (no infractions).

I've spoken to countless people on their help line, and I have been told that I have correctly submitted all of the necessary documents necessary & the appeal is stiull under review.

I feel as if the ISPFSB review board is just stalling and refusing to give it any attention.

As of yet, I haven't received a response from you and would really appreciate any advice/help/assistance that you could offer.

Thank you.

Molly,

Good morning.

I sent you a direct message a month ago regarding my FOID & CCL appeal that has been going on about 2 years now.

Both of my ID's were incorrectly revoked based on a false police report that was filed. I've already gone to court and had the issue resolved & cleared up. My criminal record is spotless (no infractions).

I've spoken to countless people on their help line, and I have been told that I have correctly submitted all of the necessary documents necessary & the appeal is stiull under review.

I feel as if the ISPFSB review board is just stalling and refusing to give it any attention.

As of yet, I haven't received a response from you and would really appreciate any advice/help/assistance that you could offer.

Thank you.

iamkwad,

I am sorry I missed your message, I try very hard to answer everyone but I do get hundreds of messages. Unfortunately, your situation is a common one with the ISP. For your type of appeal, there is no review board. There is only a few analysts who look at the appeal to make sure everything has been submitted properly and then it bottle necks to a standstill with the final ruling relegated by law to the Director of the ISP. One person who is also responsible for the whole Firearm Services Bureau FOID and CCL. Compounding the problem is the fact there is no time limit in the law by which appeals must be resolved.

If you would like to PM the details of your appeal to me, I will be glad to submit an inquiry for you. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it's hard to tell.

Molly,

Good morning.

Thank you.

iamkwad,

I am sorry I missed your message, I try very hard to answer everyone but I do get hundreds of messages. Unfortunately, your situation is a common one with the ISP. For your type of appeal, there is no review board. There is only a few analysts who look at the appeal to make sure everything has been submitted properly and then it bottle necks to a standstill with the final ruling relegated by law to the Director of the ISP. One person who is also responsible for the whole Firearm Services Bureau FOID and CCL. Compounding the problem is the fact there is no time limit in the law by which appeals must be resolved.

If you would like to PM the details of your appeal to me, I will be glad to submit an inquiry for you. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it's hard to tell.

Molly,

Thank you. I will appreciate you submitting an inquiry on my behalf.

Please check your PM inbox.

I am sending you the details to my appeal now.

Archived