Rauner tried to replace himself on the November 6 ballot

GSDlady

He held the Chicago machine at bay for the most part and has to be respected for that alone. I will miss him............

He is the first governor in my recollection that actually paid attention to gun owners in a positive way.

Our Illinois Carry lobbyists had his ear and he listened to them.

He could only do so much with the Democrats doing everything they could to drive him out of office.

Madigan wins again.

He should have stepped aside and let Ives have a go at it. His campaign was weak. Being an R in this state is not easy. I don't feel that he had much help outside of some southern areas. He didn't do himself any favors with his relationship with the POTUS. Not sure how much that would have helped anyway.

That made a HUGE difference for me.

I didn't vote for either candidate.

Gun rights are not my #1 issue. Taxes are.

I wasn't going to vote for JB.....but I could not bring myself to vote for Rauner. As I was going back and forth on if I would pull for Rauner or not in the voting booth, the picture that I had on my phone (when reading about each candidate) was Rauner with Pence. That sealed his fate for me. I went "other".

More evidence to show my vote for Ives in the primary was the correct choice and my refusal to vote for this man or JB in the general was also correct.

Trump had NOTHING to do with his defeat. His insistence on stabbing his base in the back when he didn't need to and his overall impotence is the reason he's going to be out of work soon. This fool actually thought that helping illegals stay in the state and allowing the use of tax money to butcher babies would build a coalition that would lead him to victory?

He should have stepped aside and let Ives have a go at it. His campaign was weak. Being an R in this state is not easy. I don't feel that he had much help outside of some southern areas. He didn't do himself any favors with his relationship with the POTUS. Not sure how much that would have helped anyway.

I wasn't going to vote for JB.....but I could not bring myself to vote for Rauner. As I was going back and forth on if I would pull for Rauner or not in the voting booth, the picture that I had on my phone (when reading about each candidate) was Rauner with Pence. That sealed his fate for me. I went "other".

Rauner was a Never Trump until July.

Congratulations! You made such a huge difference in Illinois by voting on principal alone. You really showed them! Pat yourself on the back for helping to raise Illinois taxes yet again..

giphy.gif

The time to vote principle is in the primaries. The time to vote self-defense is in the general...

I voted for Ives in the primary as she was the most conservative of the options. I had to hold my nose and vote for Rauner in the general because the alternative was so much worse.

A failure to vote for Rauner in the general was a vote by omission for JB.

So, in your zeal to fight against Trump, Pence, and 'conservatism' you betrayed your number one issue, high taxes. How'd that work out for you?

You might not like Pence's politics or religion but he's a decent man and a decent man is always the better option.

He held the Chicago machine at bay for the most part and has to be respected for that alone. I will miss him............

He is the first governor in my recollection that actually paid attention to gun owners in a positive way.

Our Illinois Carry lobbyists had his ear and he listened to them.

He could only do so much with the Democrats doing everything they could to drive him out of office.

Madigan wins again.

My guns and my money are all I really care about in politics. Rauner fought for me on both. His record was good on guns, but outgunned on budget.

I find Rauner even more admirable that he was attempting to find a more electable candidate.

I don't know much about the other candidates. Pete Ricketts is a solid 2A guy, but id be suspect of how "Chicago" his brother Tom is.

WHEN was this?

After the primary? Or before?

None of the articles talk about a timeframe.

The 3rd paragraph from the bottom of the first article it states that he did it before and after the primary.

https://abc7chicago.com/politics/rauner-considered-not-running-for-reelection-tried-to-recruit-other-candidates/4893696/

“Sensing an embarrassing re-election loss after President Donald Trump’s 2016 election and a narrow primary victory in March, Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner spent months last spring and summer actively seeking out a candidate to replace him on the Nov. 6 ballot”.

. . .

Former Republican state Sen. Karen McConnaughay of St. Charles acknowledged to the Tribune that she was recruited by Rauner in mid-April, about a month after he defeated GOP primary challenger state Rep. Jeanne Ives of Wheaton by just 3 percentage points”.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-pritzker-trump-governors-meeting-20181213-story.html

Is Ives still too conservative to run in a general?

Who cares?

We have just seen that you can't win with a wishy washy RINO, who cares more about liberal social issues than real conservative issues - We wind up with JB, and are up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Why don't we try running a real conservative, like Ives, and see what happens when the conservative base is energized? I don't know what would happen and neither does anyone else - it has never happened in recent memory in IL. But it cannot be worse than the place we find ourselves in now.

And for the record, I voted for Rauner both times. However this election, when the walkers came to my door I told them that they had my vote, but I absolutely hated some of the things he had done, and I would literally vote for any other Republican if given the (realistic) option. But I viewed JB as such an existential threat, they had my vote THIS TIME>

Is Ives still too conservative to run in a general?

Who cares?

We have just seen that you can't win with a wishy washy RINO, who cares more about liberal social issues than real conservative issues - We wind up with JB, and are up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Why don't we try running a real conservative, like Ives, and see what happens when the conservative base is energized? I don't know what would happen and neither does anyone else - it has never happened in recent memory in IL. But it cannot be worse than the place we find ourselves in now.

And for the record, I voted for Rauner both times. However this election, when the walkers came to my door I told them that they had my vote, but I absolutely hated some of the things he had done, and I would literally vote for any other Republican if given the (realistic) option. But I viewed JB as such an existential threat, they had my vote THIS TIME>

Illinois demographics shows they would get their butt kicked so bad it would be like a presidential election in the state where the democratic usually wins by 20% or more. We do NOT live in a red state. We likely do not live in a purple state anymore. For all those red counties downstate, Chicago and the collar counties significantly outnumber them in human bodies compared to ears of corn and while chicago has been blue and the suburbs purple they are now shifting blue as well. For each of those soccer moms who shifted their votes this election because Orange Man Bad/Guns Bad there would be 2 purple suburbanites who lean fiscally red but socially blue who would crawl over broken glass to vote against a strong pro life candidate. That's kind of why Rauner made a few of those bad decisions... reality and all.

And if gun owners who should have know better and downstaters who should have know better didn't turn out to oppose a madigan machine Chicago focused candidate who ran on tax increases and progressive california style politics (and who will far surpass anything Rauner did on abortion or sanctuary cities) didn't turn out to stop that then, well, that should say it all. Pritzker did NOT run as a moderate and he won handily. If you don't live in this part of the state you likely have no clue as to the attitudes of the masses.

We may never see a gov as conservative as Rauner again in my lifetime. That was what was at stake. For all those votes of conscience, well, you'll see. We have not had bad gun control compared to the places that do like NY, NJ, and Ca. In those states people do actually go to "don't drop the soap" prison for having the wrong bullet, or magazine, or gun. They are now actually floating the idea in NJ of starting confiscations. We'll see how fast and deep it comes here. But I would be amazed if we are not significantly more like NY, NJ or CA by the next election than we are now. And rolling that back will be questionable, and counting on SCOTUS to save the day may not turn out as expected. We had one last chance.

I would also add that we have taught any future gov. that supporting gun control will not motivate a turnout in your favor and in fact maybe just the opposite.

Almost left it out. A downsate conservative democrat did run against Ryan a few years back As I recall, and I voted for thims, he was far more red meat than any candidate we had seen for a while or since. Moderate R Ryan won.

Anyone who continues to promote the idea that a third party vote was a vote for JB simply isn't paying attention. JB got 54.5% of the vote. Rauner got 38.8%. If you can do math, you can see that even if Rauner got the 6.7% of the votes that went third party, HE STILL WOULD HAVE LOST! Get that through your thick sculls! Okay?

We are outnumbered and Rauner was a terrible candidate. It's time to admit that.

The

We are outnumbered and Rauner was a terrible candidate. It's time to admit that.

The Dem's went door to door to every one of their registered voters and under canvassers supervision were strongly encouraged to fill out a mail in ballot on the spot.

We sat around on message boards arguing about Ives VS Rauner, throwing FUD on the candidate we disliked more assuring nobody went out of their way to influence the election. I guarantee some posters here didn't even get their immediate family to vote, and I bet there's at least one active IC poster that didn't even vote at all in the mix.

Thats why they won.

Anyone who continues to promote the idea that a third party vote was a vote for JB simply isn't paying attention. JB got 54.5% of the vote. Rauner got 38.8%. If you can do math, you can see that even if Rauner got the 6.7% of the votes that went third party, HE STILL WOULD HAVE LOST! Get that through your thick sculls! Okay?

It doesn't matter whether there were enough third party votes to make a difference. This time there just happened to not be enough. The next time it might make a difference.

Regardless, a vote for the third party candidate is either worthless or a vote for the ultimate winner.

Until we adopt a system where the winner MUST receive at least 51% of the vote to win a third party candidate will always be a wasted vote at best and a spoiler at worst.

Remember Clinton in 1992 winning with 49% of the vote and then running around claiming a mandate? Mandate!? 51% of the voters said they didn't want you!...

The map in the following link breaks down the vote totals and percentages for Rauner, Pritsker, and other for each county. Rauner won the vast majority of counties, but did not have enough to compensate Cook county. There were several votes for "Other"; usually 9 - 10%, but some as high as 18%. It does not show how many eligible voters did not do so. Did disgruntled conservatives stay home because Ives lost?

https://www.politico.com/election-results/2018/illinois/governor/

The Dem's went door to door to every one of their registered voters and under canvassers supervision were strongly encouraged to fill out a mail in ballot on the spot.

So............they were walking around with some kind of generic absentee ballot and got people to vote right there on their front porch?

Good point.

Over 2 million voted for Pritzker. That was a lot of ballots to be carried around in various districts.

My understanding is that ballots are mailed to the requester via the USPS, not delivered by canvassers.

They could have been giving out absentee vote applications.

We sat around on message boards arguing about Ives VS Rauner, throwing FUD on the candidate we disliked more assuring nobody went out of their way to influence the election. I guarantee some posters here didn't even get their immediate family to vote, and I bet there's at least one active IC poster that didn't even vote at all in the mix.

Thats why they won.

Why did Obama win? He didn't win by scaring his constituency about a McCain presidency. Like him or not, he won by inspiring people and by pinning the economic crash on Bush. Trump did the same. People voted FOR Obama and Trump more than they voted against McCain and Hillary.

Rauner didn't inspire me at all and he didn't even attack JB on the issues I care about...and did nothing to advance these issues during his entire first and only term. I'm supposed to be inspired to go out and pound the pavement for him? After he bends me over time and time again? The guy didn't even want a second term...but it's my fault he lost? LMFAO.

Illinois is a Democrat state. The vote in the 2018 governor's race and the 2016 presidential race were almost exactly the same. There will not be another Republican governor in my lifetime. Rauner was the last chance to save the state and he was completely and totally ineffective. Period. End of story.

That was my point. One must request an absentee ballot from their county clerk's office and a ballot is mailed to them. There's no way they voted absentee on the spot.

It is possible they had request forms for a particular county and there is a way to request them online too.

Really? You have no idea how the Dem's won not just in Illinois but elsewhere?

https://abc7chicago.com/archive/7738882/

The new state law also allows civic groups, political parties and even candidates to send out unsolicited applications for absentee ballots, alarming some voters who receive them and providing applications that may be incorrect.

Then they sent canvassing crews to help you with the process every step of the way, including who you should vote for.

Full disclosure, I'm usually a Dem primary voter to vote against the worst candidate the Dem's throw up, like Hillary.

I was on some antigun Facebook groups (til I got kicked for trolling) with active DNC party members flaunting stacks of filled out absentee ballot request envelopes.

My wife got the 3rd party absentee request form in the mail as well.

https://wsau.com/news/articles/2018/oct/05/concerns-over-third-party-absentee-ballot-applications/

https://www.channel3000.com/news/politics/officials-warn-voters-about-absentee-ballot-mailers-after-concern-over-incorrect-information/802593260

https://ktvh.com/news/2018/10/09/absentee-ballot-mailer-causes-confusion-among-voters/

https://absentee.vote.org/?state=Illinois

https://www.pennlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/11/absentee_ballot_requests_up_ac.html

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/10/01/voters-receiving-unsolicited-absentee-ballot-applications/

https://kfor.com/2018/10/08/unsolicited-absentee-ballots-leave-oklahoma-voters-scratching-their-heads/

https://www.lifezette.com/2017/04/unsolicited-absentee-ballots-raise-eyebrows-in-dallas/

Archived