How One Man Controls Illinois

Lou

Yeah I saw this last week and I was furious by the time I was done reading it. The question I have is, what can WE do to break the hold this man has on us?

After the primary this year I realized something. There was something like 16,000 people that voted for him in the primary. Since there is no Republican opposer this fall, essentially

16,000 people decided how this state is going to be run!!!!! Unreal.....

Yeah I saw this last week and I was furious by the time I was done reading it. The question I have is, what can WE do to break the hold this man has on us?

After the primary this year I realized something. There was something like 16,000 people that voted for him in the primary. Since there is no Republican opposer this fall, essentially

16,000 people decided how this state is going to be run!!!!! Unreal.....

You would think finding 16,001 people that dislike the way the state is run wouldn't be too difficult. Of course if you did find them, a new rule would be created or the districting would be reconfigured just like it was in 2012.

That's good as far as it goes, but it doesn't even touch on the fact that he controls the IL Democratic Party's funds (go against his instructions? Oh, look, all the money for your re-election campaign just went to your opponent...) or that the official in charge of investigating corruption in the state is, you know, his daughter (the governor doesn't want to play ball? Oh look, these tapes were just turned in, wonder what's on them?)

I understand the madigan comes from one of the smallest districts in IL. so it only takes a few of his neighbors to elect him, and of course, nobody runs against him in the General Election. Do you remember Sidney Yates ? He was first elected in 1949 and served 50 years, nobody ran against him either. But he wasn't powerful like madigan.

This is the way Illinois politics works now, and we are not in a position to change that. What to do? Work within the system that we've got, doing what we have to do to get more of what we want.

Eventually Madigan will move on. When that happens, there will be a new political reality. Will it be better than the current situation? Maybe, maybe not. Whatever it is, it will have been shaped by a lot of people, most of whom aren't us, and we will have to work with whatever it turns out to be. The things to get good at are working the existing system to get what we want, changing it where we can, and never wavering from our long-term objectives. One thing to avoid getting good at is wishful thinking.

This is the way Illinois politics works now, and we are not in a position to change that. What to do? Work within the system that we've got, doing what we have to do to get more of what we want.

Eventually Madigan will move on. When that happens, there will be a new political reality. Will it be better than the current situation? Maybe, maybe not. Whatever it is, it will have been shaped by a lot of people, most of whom aren't us, and we will have to work with whatever it turns out to be. The things to get good at are working the existing system to get what we want, changing it where we can, and never wavering from our long-term objectives. One thing to avoid getting good at is wishful thinking.

The problem is, after Mike dies, which is the only way he's going go away, is there is a never ending legion of the next generation long term legislators who were brought up under this system who now think they paid the dues for their turn at the trough. While the next guy will definitely not have the same level of power for a while, unless there is enough turn over in the senior roles to break the chain, it will just end up being more of the same. Not only did Mike build an empire, he built an institution as well, and there are many more in his wings.

Who will replace the head ding-a-ling? His daughter or other political hack that's who. Term limits are part of the answer......he put the kabash to that. Another part is the state-wide recall of any member of the parliament.....er General Assembly...........he holds all the cards there too. How about redistricting the state political lines..............oh........forgot............holds 4 aces on that front also. This guy is anything but dumb. Quite the opposite actually, problem is he is going to be in office until he croaks or another party gets the majority.

As Rangerdeepv is asking.

Who is Madigan grooming as his 2nd? Obvious name would be Lisa but unsure if she lives in his district , but Daddy could easily change that.

She lives on the north side facing the north branch of the Chicago River.

Uh, 2 year representatives are always campaigning for the next election to hold on to their lifetime "jobs" (purple), benefits and retirement pensions. When will the "we the people" realize that "term limits" is a path to the solution - worked for presidential emperors. Senators are no different.

"Politician" should be a temporary position, not an occupation.

This is even more important than supressors.

Anyone?

I have a "kid" from Kansas that is new to the area that is playing in one of my bands. He works at SIU. He is always posting about how Rauner is destroying the state. I have gently tried to explain to him that Rauner just got into government, and that Madigan and his ilk have been destroying the state for decades. He will act like he understands, and then I will see him post an article slamming Rauner for not getting a budget or for stomping on old people or whatever. It is almost a losing battle at times, it seems.

I have a "kid" from Kansas that is new to the area that is playing in one of my bands. He works at SIU. He is always posting about how Rauner is destroying the state. I have gently tried to explain to him that Rauner just got into government, and that Madigan and his ilk have been destroying the state for decades. He will act like he understands, and then I will see him post an article slamming Rauner for not getting a budget or for stomping on old people or whatever. It is almost a losing battle at times, it seems.

Can't change stupid...

Correct me if I'm wrong Rauner is still not accepting the governors salary. So He's "Destroying the state free of charge" in the eyes of your SIU liberal?

ask your kid from kansas what should happen to a ceo that purposely destroys a corporation. this is what the left has been doing for many years both federally and in many states.

It may be futile, but IMO we all need to turn up the heat on our own Reps to forcefully call out Madigan each and every time they speak in public. Statewide. None of this half-timid "the Speaker and I disagree" stuff that is typically heard. Madigan needs to be called out by name, by specific actions, by specific damage, by specific parliamentary shenanigans, by his control of PAC money, by his shutting out competition in his own district, etc. In other words, bash him so directly and in such clear language that local and national media outlets can't ignore it.

Not just a one-time expression of frustration. This needs to be chorus of outrage that starts loud and grows and continues to November and beyond. Whatever it takes. For as long as it takes. No quarter. No mercy.

IMO, the so-called "decorum" of the House ends at the Capitol doorway. After that, it's no holds barred. Decorum and polite discourse have gotten us nowhere except a further Dem lock on state politics and further into in a financial hole.

It needs to stop. Doing what's always been done before is not the answer. Disgrace may be.

It may be futile, but IMO we all need to turn up the heat on our own Reps to forcefully call out Madigan each and every time they speak in public. Statewide. None of this half-timid "the Speaker and I disagree" stuff that is typically heard. Madigan needs to be called out by name, by specific actions, by specific damage, by specific parliamentary shenanigans, by his control of PAC money, by his shutting out competition in his own district, etc. In other words, bash him so directly and in such clear language that local and national media outlets can't ignore it.

Not just a one-time expression of frustration. This needs to be chorus of outrage that starts loud and grows and continues to November and beyond. Whatever it takes. For as long as it takes. No quarter. No mercy.

IMO, the so-called "decorum" of the House ends at the Capitol doorway. After that, it's no holds barred. Decorum and polite discourse have gotten us nowhere except a further Dem lock on state politics and further into in a financial hole.

It needs to stop. Doing what's always been done before is not the answer. Disgrace may be.

This is like asking someone to call out Al Capone in public. I have said it before. This is not government anymore. It is organised crime which should be looked at under RICO statutes.

Ask Ken Dunkin how that worked out for him.

Madigan controls the people by controlling the money. Go against him and he will replace you.

It's a big state. Madigan is a little man.

Prairie, while I echo your frustration and would love nothing better to see this guy taken out of office, kicking and screaming, it's pretty clear you don't get the big picture here. We truly have ONE guy who controls everything. Anyone who stands up to him, in particular democrats, have a lot to risk. As mentioned earlier, Durkin very publicly stood up to him and guess what that got him? This is no frigging joke here. If there was ever a tyrant, Madigan is textbook and should by every definition be tarred feathered, and perhaps even worse. However, the entire state is powerless to do anything about it. He even has the high ranking LEO official by his side, his daughter. We have plenty of GOP reps who stand up, but they don't have the votes to do anything either? So what exactly is your plan? I think you need to research this a bit more and recommend a realistic battle plan.

Archived