Background checks backlogged

Stew45

Anyone else make a purchase recently and are waiting 2 even 3x as long as the usual 72 hours for the background check to clear. I found a PPQ 45 Ive wanted for a while at my local store so I decided to buy it. Since then 7 days have gone by and the background check still hasnt come back. Ive heard from some other people they were running 11 days plus on getting checks back. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? I understand a theres a lot of new owners rushing out to make purchases for doomsday right now but approaching 2 weeks seems a bit excessive.

I wouldn’t mind the food card if the system ran similar to the DMV, I don’t understand why something like that can’t be set in place. If you’re pulled over and have a suspended license they know as soon as your information is run. How hard would it be to have a system set that you could instantly check whether a foid was valid or revoked? At least then everyone that was valid could be on their way with just a simple scan of a card. If anything it just seems the system itself is a waste of time and resources.

Anyone else make a purchase recently and are waiting 2 even 3x as long as the usual 72 hours for the background check to clear. I found a PPQ 45 Ive wanted for a while at my local store so I decided to buy it. Since then 7 days have gone by and the background check still hasnt come back. Ive heard from some other people they were running 11 days plus on getting checks back. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? I understand a theres a lot of new owners rushing out to make purchases for doomsday right now but approaching 2 weeks seems a bit excessive.

Whats the point of having an unconstitutional FOID card?

If you are active you should be approved....

Well, time for a lawsuit that uses this situation to illustrate that the FOID card causes actual and permanent harm in delaying Second Amendment rights in times when they are needed most.

The FOID card does not take precedence over the Constitution and the rights it forbids the government at any level from preventing the timely right of the People to exercise, and if it does as this is showing, then it is inarguably unconstitutional.

From what Ive read 72 hours is the minimum wait time. If ISP takes longer, you wait longer. Id hate to see something cause them to take up to 30 days then what happens. Most shops that Ive seen if you havent picked up within 29 days you get charged a restocking fee and the background check is no longer any good.

I'm surprised so many shops are waiting that long, they are allowed to proceed with he transfer on the 4t business day, correct?

incorrect, although that might be federal policy only.

ISP FAQ:

Q What happens if a customer orders a firearm, and when he comes into pick it up, ISP issues something other than an approval on the FTIP?

A The actual transfer of the firearm cannot take place until there is an approval from the FTIP system, regardless of when the agreement was reached. If the FFL receives a transaction number, they cannot complete the transfer until they receive an approval.

As has been discussed, I bought and was told 7 to 10 days

I called on 7th day and was approved.

Two guys who were there to pick up that same day said they were at 10 days.

No one was p***** off, we all have valid FOID’s...it’s what it is!

None of us were in a hurry to kill someone

Yes, we stood around telling stories and joking about tons of stuff!

If you’ve just this minute found out that there is a backlog due to the crisis being played out around the world, not just Illinois, sorry!

I'm surprised so many shops are waiting that long, they are allowed to proceed with he transfer on the 4t business day, correct?

incorrect, although that might be federal policy only.

ISP FAQ:

Q What happens if a customer orders a firearm, and when he comes into pick it up, ISP issues something other than an approval on the FTIP?

A The actual transfer of the firearm cannot take place until there is an approval from the FTIP system, regardless of when the agreement was reached. If the FFL receives a transaction number, they cannot complete the transfer until they receive an approval.

Ah, the only time I've ever been delayed was buying a rifle in IN, so I just picked it up the 4th day

What's this you say? The GLOBAL Covid-19 pandemic, spreading like crazy throughout the USA, is causing paperwork delays at an already woefully understaffed State office?

I reckon the right time to buy a gun, like the right time to acquire ventilators, blew past quite a number of weeks ago?

That said, I do hope you get approved soon AND that your LGS is still open when you do.

Good luck.

So I guess the NICS check isn't automated?

I just won a Springfield Armory 1911 on DLD-VIP, and was really hoping it wouldn't take that long!

Was thinking about this lately. I wonder if instant approvals (where no records are found) are automated, but wouldn't be surprised if matches when delayed have to be reviewed by a human.

I've run a lot of background checks in the last 2 weeks. NONE have been delayed. All approved in the first 4 seconds, which for me is unusual.

Guns and ammo are flying off the shelf in Madison County, I'm basically sold out of my pre-panic inventory, have some post panic shotguns, pistols, AR pistols, 9mm ammo and .223 ammo in stock, and a LOT of 12 ga buckshot on the way, much of which has been pre-sold.

There may be issues, but I have had none with the state on any of my customers this past month.

Benbow City Sports

Wood River, IL

www.illinoissbr.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently 8 days and still waiting for the background check. I'll try to remember to update the forum once I clear.

My carry renewal is just about to the 5 month mark. I sent the renewal application December 8th and it just changed from "Under Review" to "Approved" within the last couple of days online.

They were very quick to charge the renewal fee, that went through instantly. We know where the priorities are.

The NICS system is being used heavily the last couple of months, but they are still currently sitting at around a 30-second response time according to a source inside the facility.

Archived