NRA courses and overlap with IL CCL training

Illini2A312

I'm new to guns and have been thinking about taking some basic NRA courses (Basic Pistol, Personal Protection In The Home) in order to further sharpen my skills beyond what I've done at the range so far/learn more about guns in general. Do either of these courses count toward/have curriculum overlap with IL CCL training (would it be worth my while to look into taking them)?

You need the basic pistol for the CCL so that's probably the class to take. But imo its a pretty redundant (boring) class if your'e already a gun owner.

Its all about how firearms function, the parts, maintenance, firearm safety and proper shooting form. All the stuff you probably already learned along the way from shooting and owning firearms.

I would also take a more advance class later to really broaden your horizons. Best of luck.

The NRA basic pistol qualifies for 8 hours of credit towards the 16 hours required.

Thanks! Is there anywhere in the Chicago area that lets you take the 2nd half of the 16 hours as a standalone (I've looked at Maxon but it's unclear if they do)?

I would also take a more advance class later to really broaden your horizons. Best of luck.

Any suggestions?

The NRA basic pistol qualifies for 8 hours of credit towards the 16 hours required.

Thanks! Is there anywhere in the Chicago area that lets you take the 2nd half of the 16 hours as a standalone (I've looked at Maxon but it's unclear if they do)?

Any suggestions?

NRA Defensive Pistol from a certified NRA Defensive Pistol Instructor. Avoid non-certified holster instructors.

I took the "Basics of Pistol Shooting - Online course"....that is worth about 8 hours. When I first took the course, I could only find one NRA instructor that would accept it as 8 hours. After a few months, more instructors would accept it.

I also took a separate "Basics of Pistol Shooting" course from an NRA instructor. It does not count for any credit, and I would normally steer people away from it, but I lucked out as there was only one other person that took the course. So it was basically 2 hours of class room training and going over different weapons, then two hours of two range time with a "near" personal instructor with different weapons if you wanted.

Archived