AR ammo question

Eagle90301

Ive had issues with the cheap brass cased federal american eagle ammo. The bolt would short stroke in my gun with a rifle length gas system. It wasnt just a one or two time thing, it was every 5-10 rds. This same gun will chomp through any other ammo Ive ever ran in it.

It worked fine in my guns with carbine and mid-length systems though. It seems the pressure must have dropped enough on the longer gas system to cause issues with cycling.

Just something to keep in mind.

Wolf Gold for brass cased .223 has a good reputation and is priced pretty well. Federal 55gr 5.56 is hotter and there are good rebates going on. I just recently started shooting Wolf polyformance 55gr, and was surprised how accurate it is. For me it's comparable to Federal 55gr. It's less than $200 for 1000 shipped from sgammo. It's steel, so some say it can be harder on your barrel. I normally don't shoot more than 200 rounds at a time so my barrels don't get smoking hot, and I clean my rifle afterwards. I'm not too concerned about it. I don't reload yet, but I do save brass when I'm shooting brass. Check out ammoseek for best prices on online ammo.

Wolf Gold for brass cased .223 has a good reputation and is priced pretty well.

I can attest to Wolf Gold 223. This ammo is manufactured in Taiwan and imported by wolf. I’ve taken it out to 600yds with a 16” rifle and have gone through many cases without one problem. I also shoot with many people who shoot a ton and have never had a problem. (We’re talking 1000+ round two day training classes). At $270 shipped it’s a no brainer.

As others have said, the cheapest brass case is what I'd look for. If you can get it for under 30 cents a round, I'd jump on it. Most of my 223 is Freedom Munitions. Their prices are pretty reasonable, especially when you can get free shipping. However, they have taken awhile to ship the last few times I've ordered, so don't order from them if you need it soon.

I'm going to add some food for thought.

I don't shoot that much...so as I finished up the cheap brass .223 and 5.56 FMJ rounds I had stocked, I started looking at other types of ammo that was a step up. Something that was cheap enough to take to the range, but also better than an FMJ round....especially since most AR's are now 16" or shorter. If this is an HD gun, you will want something with a lower frag velocity.

Something like this:

47922-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Frontier (Hornady/Lake City) 55gr Hollow Points in 5.56 for 150 rounds for $49.99 (0.33/round) plus tax and shipping.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/id/206065

OTM/BHTP rounds from IMI and Frontier are the brands I tend to look for deals on and stock up with. They are not your standard soft points that will expand. They are more accurate rounds that do happen to fragment at levels in the 2100 fps range (for IMI at least). So you basically go to the range with the same ammo you have in your gun all the time.

When I'm out of State shooting an AR, I have not found any ammo the rifles and AR pistol dislike. I am certain I could not afford enough steel case to wear out an AR, but if worried, whatever is the least expensive brass cased ammo you can find should serve plinking needs very well.

Note - I DID say 'plinking needs'. I realize there are many serious long-range shooters out there with their specific needs and demands. I have reloaded a variety of 'brand' once-fired brass with generic 55gr boat tail FMJ with no negatives to report.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had good luck with Freedom Munitions .223 which is new (not reman). They can have some pretty good deals there sometimes, so it's worth taking a look.

I've had some not so good luck with their reman .223 though. Recently bought 600 rounds and had a problem where about one in five rounds was flying wild and keyholing the target. Some rounds flew off POI almost a foot. Not good.

They all cycled OK, but I think that was more due to my high quality AR build which seems to eat any ammo without issue.

I'm guessing these rounds were not loaded with enough charge and were weak coming out of the barrel which caused them to immediately tumble.

Archived