Photo

I bought an SKS this weekend...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Howard Roark

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

It's a Yugo from SOG.  Oh, plus 700 rounds of Romanian ammo.  SKS's are interesting guns, but I've only shot 1 and handled a few.   There are currently some Sino-Chinese SKS's from various ffl sellers and they look like they're full of character, with a lot of them looking like they were used in military service, but still very functional (at least the non-abused ones).  The few C&R guns I've bought, I always pay the extra 10 - 20 bucks for hand-select and matching numbers, if available.  Can't wait until it arrives at my front door!

Howard Roark
Yay guns!!! boooo anti-gunners!

#2 il.bill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:15 AM

I did too!

Mine was a Chinese Military Type 56 SKS on holiday sale from Classic Firearms.  It looks like it will be, as you said, "full of character", but I figured it was worth a chance to get a 'shooter' grade SKS delivered to my front door for less than $300.  

#3 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,772 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

Good to hear it.  I strongly recommend disassembly and cleaning any time you receive one.  Particularly the gas tube and piston, the piston extension, and the bolt, carrier, and firing pin.  Don't be afraid to drive the firing pin retaining pin out.  You have to do this to remove the firing pin.  I have probably purchased some 16 SKS in some form or another over the years and no fewer than three of them had the firing pin installed incorrectly.  It pays to check them out to ensure they are assembled correctly, and to remove cosmoline to ensure proper function!

The SKS is a fantastic design.  For some reason I tend to favor the Russian ones ... but I like them all.

"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#4 McCroskey

With Liberty and Justice for all

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

Howard, which version did you get? The earlier M59 or the later M59/66 (with the grenade launcher)?

I love my M59. It's built like a tank, decent accuracy. Easy to take apart for cleaning.

Keep in mind that Serbia had no chromium, so the bore of your rifle will not be chrome-lined. So if you shoot milsurp ammo, spray some Windex down the barrell after shooting to neutralize the salts and clean well once you get home.

And if you shoot dirty ammo, keep the firing pin assembly nice and clean. Otherwise the pin can get stuck forward and you can have slam fires. I actually replaced my firing pin with an aftermarket kit that incorporates a return spring (like the original Russian design), but I may remove it and put the factory pin back in as the new one doesn't seem to hit the primers hard enough and I'm getting like a 25% FTF.

“By concord little things grow great, by discord the greatest come to nothing.”
-Roger Williams

Second Amendment Foundation Life Member

#5 McCroskey

With Liberty and Justice for all

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

Oh, and SOG are great. I bought mine from them too, so easy with the C&R.

“By concord little things grow great, by discord the greatest come to nothing.”
-Roger Williams

Second Amendment Foundation Life Member

#6 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,772 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

Officedrone, my own opinion on this is that if the firing pin channel is reasonably clean there are really no worries about slam fires.  I have heard this over and over again, but I suspect the risk of slam-fire is wildly overrated, and the myth is perpetuated. 

A 25% FTF rate is wholly unacceptable!

"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#7 patriot1776

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

Got a Russian in back of safe bought new years ago $99 only shot once .  Nice weapon , take out a few times a year admire oil down the she goes back asleep .   

#8 mbnut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

I remember seeing them at a gun show many years ago for 125 new in cosmoline. I should have bought one cheep shooter.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Life Member
ISRA Range Member
GOA Member

#9 mostholycerebus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

They really are nice, but with $450 ARs and $400 AKs out there, im having a  hard time justifying buying one.  

#10 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

Officedrone, my own opinion on this is that if the firing pin channel is reasonably clean there are really no worries about slam fires.  I have heard this over and over again, but I suspect the risk of slam-fire is wildly overrated, and the myth is perpetuated. 

A 25% FTF rate is wholly unacceptable!

I had a norinco start slam firing. I converted it to take 30 rd mags and after running a couple of them I'm not sure if it heated up and temporarily seized the firing pin or what but on the second shot of the 3rd one she took off on me and finished the mag, it was quite the eye opening experience.
"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

" Never argue with an idiot, passers by won't be able to tell you apart "- Grandpa

#11 aerxx

Μολὼν λαβέ

• Members
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

Can't wait to see pictures!

My favorite post.                      Blueroom IL House and Senate Feeds http://www.bluerooms.../video_page.htm

Applied w/ prints - 5/2/14

Approved - 5/3/2014

Active - 6/2/2014

Expires - 6/2/2019

In Hand - 6/6/2014 @ about 2:45pm CST

Wally Walk - 6/7/2014

Renewal

Applied w/ prints - 4/13/2019

Active - 7/19/2019 (97 total days)(47 days free carry)

#12 il.bill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

Can't wait to see pictures!

Still waiting on receiving my rifle.  Ordered and CC charged on May 26th.  Bummer - the billing period closed on the 28th so I already have my CC statement in hand even though the rifle has not yet shipped.  But ... I received an e-mail last night saying a "UPS shipping label has been created" on June 3rd.

Patience, Grasshopper.

I suppose if this SKS has been waiting nearly 60 years for me, I can wait another week to ten days for it.

Howard - have you received your Yugo SKS from SOG?

Edited by il.bill, 04 June 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#13 mikemsu1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

I have a ChiCom Norinco I converted to a bullpup via the Shernic Gunworks kit, love it.  Also have a Yugo SKS.  Picked up both about 10 years ago for under $200 a piece.  They have got more expensive over the years that's for sure.  Great shooting budget rifles.

NRA Member
Illinois CCL
Florida CWL
Arizona CWP
Virginia CHP

#14 il.bill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

My Chinese Type 56 SKS arrived today from Classic Firearms in a big brown truck.  First impression is favorable.  The metal looks good and the stock is quite worn, but OK, although it is difficult to actually see what kind of condition the rifle is in.

I picture a Chinaman working in a storage facility years ago, trying to raise a small family on a meager salary at a job that pays him based on the total amount of Cosmoline he can manage to use on each SKS.  I always try to think of Cosmoline as my friend, freezing time for me over the decades.

This weekend is our two-day church picnic, so I wrapped the SKS up in the bubble wrap and stuffed it back down in the box until sometime next week when I may finally get a chance to clean it up.

As I repacked the rifle I took the time to smile at the thought of how neat the old C&R 03 FFL can be.

#15 billzfx4

• Members
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

That Chinaman must have a cousin that works in Yugoslavia, because my 59/66 took about a half gallon of mineral spirits to make a dent in all the cosmoline on/in it.

Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me.

#16 BigRat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

I just tore down and cleaned an SKS a friend of mine recieved, it was a Chinese model and appeared never fired.  The amount of cosmoline was astranomical, LOL.

BigRat

#17 Howard Roark

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

Here are a few pix of my rifle.  The firing pin didn't move at all it was so coated in cosmoline even after two days of soaking in mineral spirits.  I drove the retaining pin out and then cleaned out all the goop.  Now the firing pin moves like it should.  The bore on this rifle is pristine, with no corrosion at all.  The bluing is great with only a little wear.  This rifle must have been used just a little before it was put into storage for 40-ish years.  Haven't shot it yet, but I'm bring it to Hume IL for Drylock's event on the 14th along with the 700 rounds of ammo I bought.  I'll do my best to blow up as much of that ammo as possible on the 14th.   I'm going to enjoy this rifle !

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0270.JPG
  • IMG_0271.JPG
  • IMG_0272.JPG

Howard Roark
Yay guns!!! boooo anti-gunners!

#18 aerxx

Μολὼν λαβέ

• Members
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Oh man....thats a beauty. The NSA is monitoring this transmission.

My favorite post.                      Blueroom IL House and Senate Feeds http://www.bluerooms.../video_page.htm

Applied w/ prints - 5/2/14

Approved - 5/3/2014

Active - 6/2/2014

Expires - 6/2/2019

In Hand - 6/6/2014 @ about 2:45pm CST

Wally Walk - 6/7/2014

Renewal

Applied w/ prints - 4/13/2019

Active - 7/19/2019 (97 total days)(47 days free carry)

#19 il.bill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

Very nice - congratulations!

#20 chislinger

• Members
  • 6,523 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

Hmmm, has SOG had their web site hijacked? Not working for me...
"I'm not worried about following the U.S. Constitution." - Washington County, Alabama Judge Nick Williams

#21 Prairie Pucker

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

Must have been over 20 years ago when SKS's first hit the US market I picked one up for around $100 plus another $100 or so for 1000 rounds of Chinese ammo.  It's not a fancy gun and the machining was rough, but functionally was very impressed with it & showed it around to many friends.  Ultimately we did another quantity buy of around 20 and got them for $85 or $90, slathered in cosmoline, of course.  Removing the cosmoline was a great way to learn about what made the SKS tick.  It's more accurate than my stainless mini-14.

- PP

"One State---One Law"

NRA Endowment Life; ISRA

#22 G214me

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

I remember buying my first SKS, a Norinco, brand new in a wood  crate with many others and covered in the cosmoline. It was $ 99 at Midwest sporting goods in Lyons. that was about 20 years ago and I still have it.