Ammunition shipping to Chicago

Federal Farmer

I had to send email to luckygunner.com and ammunitiontogo.com this week because they won't sell ammunition to me shipped to my Chicago residence claiming it is against the law. I've challenged their interpretation of state law and requested details on which ordinance specifically bans such delivery.

Good news, midwayusa.com does adhere to state law.

I recently had a prolonged email conversation with the Sportmans Guide about the same thing. Ultimately, i was told their legal team was aware of the new law but "wasn't sure" about it interpretation. I was also told that they needed some kind of permit to sell ammo in the city, which is bogus since they aren't selling it in the city, they are selling it from their location in Minesota. They are simply shipping it to the city. And since handgun ammunition is now the sole responsibility of the state, there really shouldn't be any confusion.

Again, they basically ended up saying "we're not sure", and then just no. I take that to mean they do not have the courage to take the first step, despite it's clear legality. Frustrating. Hopefully other companies will show some more courage, or at least some basic logic.

I've used this trick with both cheaper than dirt (before I began to boycott them) and Sportsmans guide. Just misspell your city name. One example, when ordering 30rd Tapco Ak mags, and trying to ship them to my home in Palos Heights, I would get denied. Re-enter Paloos Heights, shipped without a problem. I don't know if they've changed their systems since then, but it worked for hi cap mags, etc. Never had a problem getting ammo shipped into crook county.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

The prices are cheaper at Walmart anyway. I haven't checked recently, but I have never found anybody who could beat their prices. Even if I ordered 1000 rds, Walmart would still be cheaper to buy it 50rd boxes at a time. The only time I ordered ammo was hard to find or surplus stuff like 7.62x54R.

I'm in Worth, so I'm within a couple miles of the two closest Walmart locations to the city that do sell ammo. The Bridgeview store has been getting a steady flow coming in. 45, 9mm, I don't think I've been there lately and not seen .223 and 7.62x39. .22lr is hit or miss. Crestwood has cases of 5.56 62gr federal in Stock. If you don't mind the drive, head out to Lockport. That's the best Walmart for ammo around. They always have something. Their ammo case is at least double the size of other stores, and they don't lock up their shotgun ammo. Tons on the shelves.

MidwayUSA is not on board. Had to send them my foid and ID yesterday when I tried to order some 300 win mag ammo. Waiting to see if they will take my order today.

Well, we are in IL., you have to send your FOID to online retailers regardless.

Would love to have Midway on board, but I'm going to have to find this out for myself.

Every time I test the waters with any type of ammo to see if Midway has updated their system I get the "There are restricted items that need to be removed from your cart" warning and it won't let me continue. How did you verify that they would ship? I talked to them a few months ago about this and they said that they review the laws as published on the ATF website and then update their policies.

Southern Ohio Gun is on board with shipping ammo to Chicago. Their prices aren't necessarily the best for common ammo but they do often have good deals on milsurp and often have oddball stuff that's hard to find.

I sent the new ordinance to J&G and Wideners a while ago, both said they would review it. I'm not sure if they've changed their policies yet.

Aim Surplus flat out refused to change, according to them they're "just a small company and it's easier to not ship here than deal with the hassle". I guess they're too scared of Rahm even though they now have the law on their side.

As for Midway, you guys trying to order from them may need to get your FOID on file with them. I suspect their system won't let you order unless it shows they have your FOID.

Doesn't only apply to ammo....Bud's Guns/Police Supply will not ship firearms to Cook County or Chicago......

I'm in Cook, and I've gotten 3 handguns from Buds - have things changed?

Was looking into getting a M&P 15-22.......they would not ship to FFL in Cook Co........this was within the last 2-3 weeks

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/feeds/state_reg/illinois_restrictions.pdf

Funny, though...the Dealer just across the state line (IN) was willing to sell me one........

Got this response from Lucky Gunner:

Mr. Lawson,

We appreciate the efforts you have made in advancing Second Amendment rights. Despite those advancements, we still do not believe we can sell ammunition to Chicago residents for the following reasons listed on this page: http://www.luckygunn...ping-to-chicago

We would be happy to assist you in fighting against these burdensome laws. If you place an order on our site, we will cancel it and notify you that the order is being explicitly cancelled because we cannot ship to Chicago because of Chicago's burdensome and suspect laws regarding the sale of ammunition. Then, you should have standing to challenge O2013-6015.

Thank you,

Angela

LuckyGunner

Their linked page is:

We appreciate the concerns and efforts many have made in advancing Second Amendment rights. Despite those advancements, we still do not believe we can sell ammunition to Chicago residents for the following reasons:

• 430 ILCS 65/13.1. "Preemption" clearly states that it will only preempt any ordinance or regulation enacted on or before the effective date of Public Act 98-63—and that effective date is July 9, 2013. This same Section also states that any ordinance or regulation existing prior to July 9, 2013 is only preempted if it imposes regulations or restrictions on a FOID holder that are "inconsistent" with the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act or the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.
  • On September 11, 2013, the City of Chicago passed O2013-6015, new legislation designed to continue to curb Second Amendment rights. Because this legislation was passed after July 9, 2013, it is not preempted under 430 ILCS 65/13.1. Moreover, to be preempted, O2013-6015 would have to impose regulations or restrictions on a FOID holder that are "inconsistent" with the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act or the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.
  • Under O2013-6015, only an ammunition retailer with a weapons dealer license can sell ammunition within Chicago. Please refer specifically to Municipal Code section 8-20-100 (which has been changed from the previous version titled "Permissible sales and transfer of firearms and ammunition" to "Sale or transfer of firearms or ammunition prohibited"). For various reasons, we believe it would jeopardize our privacy and the privacy of our customers to obtain a weapons dealer license from the City of Chicago. Any ammunition retailer who sells ammunition inside Chicago or to a customer located inside Chicago without a weapons dealer permit is subject to a fine of at least $1,000, and/or incarceration for 20-90 days.

We deeply regret that the City of Chicago continues to burden your Second Amendment rights, and burden our ability to meet your ammunition needs, with the threat of jail time. We are currently having outside counsel evaluate alternative ways of supplying ammunition to customers within Chicago that do not involve compromising anyone's privacy or the risk of jail time for our officers.

We will keep this page updated with our latest findings. Please email customerservice@luckygunner.com with any questions or concerns you may have.

Archived